Disney's producing a live-action Beauty and the Beast movie

Tony Perkis

Exactly the template for the sophistication is there. They would just need a director who could deliver on the visuals. But I am afraid the idea of that kind of film is still lower on their list.
I'm actually convinced the best director for Hunchback is Gore Verbinski. I'm sure he's capable of a musical.

For some ridiculous reason, Tim Burton's Dumbo is a priority.

Sped2424

I'm actually convinced the best director for Hunchback is Gore Verbinski. I'm sure he's capable of a musical.

For some ridiculous reason, Tim Burton's Dumbo is a priority.
Dumbo, Night on Bald Mountain, a few other cash grabs to name a few. But we shall see what makes the light of day.

Tony Perkis

Disney had an off Broadway version of Hunchback that people really loved. It keep the songs but the plot was closer to the book and darker, more adult. It did not make the leap to Broadway sadly.
I remember the off-Broadway version that ran a few years ago in New Jersey. It apparently suffered greatly from an inconsistent book.

That's the one property Disney needs to crack. And the shame is that it was already cracked once before with the adult French version.

Princess Leia

I remember the off-Broadway version that ran a few years ago in New Jersey. It apparently suffered greatly from an inconsistent book.

That's the one property Disney needs to crack. And the shame is that it was already cracked once before with the adult French version.
Actually it was German. Anyways, that's a show that needs to go big or go home in terms of the story. The animated film is one of my favorite Disney movies, even though I know it had a much, much, much happier ending than practically any prior version of it. I believe that it has the best score, and possibly the best music (The Bells of Notre Dame, Out There, God Help the Outcasts, Heaven's Light/Hellfire are stellar).

While I haven't seen the American musical version, I've listened to the soundtrack and read the plot synopsis, and I don't think they had it figured out quite yet. Like, it was almost there, but not where it needed to be.

DoleWhipperSnapper

I loved the live version of Beauty and the Beast, but it will not replace the original animated version for me. There were definitely some huge pluses in the Live version especially the addition of the new song by Dan Stevens, "Evermore". I also thought Josh Gad as LeFou was fantastic in the role and the "Gaston" sequence was amazing. Other than that the performances were good, but not the same as the animated version in my opinion. The one thing that really disappointed me was that Gaston used a gun and shot The Beast. I did not like that at all.

Juujuugurl

I loved the live action BATB! Watching one of my favorite Disney movies since I was little come alive literally gave me goosebumps. I loved everything but the yellow dress (don't get me started). Both original and new songs were great, the characters/actors were great, and I loved how they added some explanations such as the town people forgetting, why the beast was such a monster and why Belle was such "a funny girl". Nothing will ever "replace" the original, but I don't think that is the point of live actions. It's to simply bring an already loved story to life!

I really liked the small details they added to the movie such as Plumette not quite lining up with Lumiere when he first started announcing Be Our Guest. Or when La Fou had to pay some of the townspeople to do certain things for Gaston. It all seemed like realistic interactions or cause and effects. Also I loved how not everyone was white. Plumette and Lumiere and Garderobe and Maestro representing that interracial love~

It just came out a few weeks ago in Japan, and I've already seen it twice. I will definitely be buying the blu-ray DVD!

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
So Emma won best actor and B&TB won Movie of the Year at the MTV awards last night. Not super prestigious but they are mostly voted on my teens so definitely popular with the the "youths"

Princess Leia

So Emma won best actor and B&TB won Movie of the Year at the MTV awards last night. Not super prestigious but they are mostly voted on my teens so definitely popular with the the "youths"
Yeah... Honestly, I think Taraji deserved the award more than Emma, but I'm surprised BatB didn't win more golden popcorns considering who was voting?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom