News Club 33 coming to Walt Disney World this Fall

Bandini

In reality it could mean the parks & resorts business being sold to someone like blackstone as Uni was because of the potential to mine short term cash from the business rather than an operator who is actually interested in investing in the business
Yes it could make things worse, but isn't Universal's current ownership the reason the parks have improved so much? You have repeatedly stated that Iger is looking at the short term and pulling out as much cash as possible, and I agree. So how would that change with a company like Blackstone?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes it could make things worse, but isn't Universal's current ownership the reason the parks have improved so much? You have repeatedly stated that Iger is looking at the short term and pulling out as much cash as possible, and I agree. So how would that change with a company like Blackstone?

Universal was owned by Blackstone for a few years and Blackstone invested NOTHING in the parks but did load up on Debt. Things did not improve till Comcast bought Universal and started investing. Ask anyone about UNI under Blackstone

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Plus you think the "Nothing is safe" climate we have going under Chapek is bad now? Just imagine vast chunks of the parks being ripped out for megacoasters with clipart of cartoon characters pasted on the signs out front. Because that's what we'd probably get.

Thats EXACTLY what P&R would get under any 'Private Equity' ownership

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Universal was owned by Blackstone for a few years and Blackstone invested NOTHING in the parks but did load up on Debt. Things did not improve till Comcast bought Universal and started investing. Ask anyone about UNI under Blackstone
On the other hand, Blackstone also bought SeaWorld and Busch Gardens from InBev, and until CNN aired the hatchet job, were doing well enough with them to spin them off in a IPO. I understand they still retain a minority interest.

lazyboy97o

On the other hand, Blackstone also bought SeaWorld and Busch Gardens from InBev, and until CNN aired the hatchet job, were doing well enough with them to spin them off in a IPO. I understand they still retain a minority interest.
Blackstone also owned Merlin Entertainments (Legoland, London/Orlando Eye, Madam Tussaud's, SeaLife, Alton Towers and more) during their rather aggressive growth. Universal Orlando Resort was only ever 50% owned by Blackstone and is more of an outlier.

Comcast was not interested in Walt Disney Parks and Resorts when it sought to purchase The Walt Disney Company, nor was it interested in Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort when it acquired NBCUniversal. It was the success of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, a project developed by Universal Orlando Resort, that convinced Comcast that the theme parks were a worthwhile investment. Even then, Comcast has shown little interest in pushing the medium of themed entertainment.

articos

I am not a Club 33 member, but I have dined there a couple times in the last 15 years and I have had a cocktail at the 1901 Lounge (Club 33 satellite location in California Adventure) as a guest of a member. I think you are misunderstanding the service level and operational needs of the Club 33 concept. It is not just a cheesy corporate lounge at Epcot for Exxon employees to get free Cokes and pretzels.

The Sponsor lounges are actually staffed by the Operating Partner's marketing depts. Club 33 is its own specialty within Disney Parks and F&B, working closely with multiple divisions of TWDC.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Anheiser-Busch ran both Busch gardens and SeaWorld as a labor of love and blackstone did not have enough time to do the usual load up with debt and sell the walking corpse to the next group of suckers. Blackfish ironically may have saved SeaWorld and Busch Gardens

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Blackstone also owned Merlin Entertainments (Legoland, London/Orlando Eye, Madam Tussaud's, SeaLife, Alton Towers and more) during their rather aggressive growth. Universal Orlando Resort was only ever 50% owned by Blackstone and is more of an outlier.

Comcast was not interested in Walt Disney Parks and Resorts when it sought to purchase The Walt Disney Company, nor was it interested in Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort when it acquired NBCUniversal. It was the success of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, a project developed by Universal Orlando Resort, that convinced Comcast that the theme parks were a worthwhile investment. Even then, Comcast has shown little interest in pushing the medium of themed entertainment.

Comcast is an ISP why would they want to expand themed entertainment beyond its existing footprint

lazyboy97o

Anheiser-Busch ran both Busch gardens and SeaWorld as a labor of love and blackstone did not have enough time to do the usual load up with debt and sell the walking corpse to the next group of suckers. Blackfish ironically may have saved SeaWorld and Busch Gardens
What debt is Merlin loaded down with? SeaWorld was in no position to be sold and operate independently. Universal Orlando Resort was stuck with a completely disinterested GE that also ignores Universal Studios Hollywood.

Comcast is an ISP why would they want to expand themed entertainment beyond its existing footprint
What does that have to do with what I said? Even then, Comcast has increased their theme park ownership since acquiring NBCUniversal.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What debt is Merlin loaded down with? SeaWorld was in no position to be sold and operate independently. Universal Orlando Resort was stuck with a completely disinterested GE that also ignores Universal Studios Hollywood.

What does that have to do with what I said? Even then, Comcast has increased their theme park ownership since acquiring NBCUniversal.

I said Blackstone DID NOT have the opportunity to load up the theme park businesses with Debt before Blackfish hit and Blackstone unloaded them.

The usual private equity shuffle
1 buy established company,
2 hack and slash way to Increased Profitability
3 load company up with high interest debt
4 transfer all cash from debt to parent
5 announce intent to take new company public
6 IPO and transfer IPO proceeds to parent PE firm
7 Failure of new company because of high debt and insufficient capitalization

With SeaWorld / Merlin / Busch Blackstone Only got to step 2 of of the 'Private Equity Shuffle'

As to second comment. Comcast is the most successful ISP in the business why would they want to get further into the volatile themed entertainment business? Other than incremental growth in their existing B/U???

Haymarket2008

Jim Hill is saying on his recent podcast that Club 33 is being eyed in the Magic Kingdom for a room in the Skipper Canteen. He also mentioned a possible absorbing of the entire restaurant, which I highly doubt. A big downside is his mentioning of taking the Nomad Lounge in Animal Kingdom and converting that into a private 33 space. Which is beyond ridiculous, seeing as that space is one of the best bars on property and should be enjoyed by everyone.

Bocabear

Jim Hill is saying on his recent podcast that Club 33 is being eyed in the Magic Kingdom for a room in the Skipper Canteen. He also mentioned a possible absorbing of the entire restaurant, which I highly doubt. A big downside is his mentioning of taking the Nomad Lounge in Animal Kingdom and converting that into a private 33 space. Which is beyond ridiculous, seeing as that space is one of the best bars on property and should be enjoyed by everyone.
with what membership will cost, and it being Disney, there is no reason that they could not purpose-build clubs in the parks for Club 33...it is beyond ridiculous for them to take popular restaurants out completely for the upcharge (and crazy expensive membership) Club locations...
They should build a second story addition over the Laugh Floor and create the never built Astronomers Club as the Club 33 location...Something original and unique...

Magic Feather

I thought it was the Asia room in Tiffins being planned. I heard two plans for the skipper canteen room, one would not cut into the restaurant. The other would.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

This may have changed.

lentesta

Premium Member

We got different information shortly after we recorded the show. Neither Skipper Canteen or Nomad Lounge were mentioned. I'll add something to the show notes about this. Thanks!

Haymarket2008

We got different information shortly after we recorded the show. Neither Skipper Canteen or Nomad Lounge were mentioned. I'll add something to the show notes about this. Thanks!

Oh interesting, I'll be interested to hear what else you guys say about the project! You both said the plans would be fluid, so I'm not surprised the plans have changed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom