DCEU- Batgirl to be directed by Joss Whedon

Princess Leia

Original Poster
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/31/...ie.html&eventName=Watching-article-click&_r=0
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/mar/31/joss-whedon-to-direct-first-ever-batgirl-film

There are some pros and cons here (IMO), but I'm mostly looking forward to this. I didn't see BvS, but I did see Man of Steel and Suicide Squad. One word: Blech. Man of Steel wasn't a total loss, but Suicide Squad was a mess.

Let's start with my cons:
  • I don't really want a Joker appearance. Leto's version didn't entrance me like Ledger's (haven't seen the Nicholson verison, so I can't comment). I'm a little leery that they might throw the Joker in the movie as a flashback, or it could even be as the main villain, a la Jessica Jones. But that would be a little too similar to JJ.
  • Whedon didn't exactly have the best idea for Captain Marvel when he expressed interest in directing or writing that picture. I can't find the article, but there was talk of him being interested in the more violent parts of her backstory, which kind of grosses me out.
  • I'm not sure if it was Marvel or Whedon who chose to pair Bruce and Natasha together, but that still continues to be my biggest AoU pet peeve.
  • Inara's (thankfully) aborted story from Firefly also grosses me out, as well as how much Joss wanted to film that thing. Nooooooope. Though I'm not sure if that wasn't filmed because the show got cancelled, or because everyone else decided that was a terrible idea.
  • Writing Cordelia out of Angel because her actress was pregnant. Again, not my favorite Whedon moment.
Pro:
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Firefly are three of my favorite shows
  • Whedon has a pretty decent track record with female characters like this. Buffy, Cordelia (at least in Angel), Fred, Echo, River, Zoe, Melinda May, Daisy, and Kitty Pryde for example.
  • Avengers is one of my favorite movies
  • Major kudos to DC for actually making movies with women in the lead roles. Wonder Woman (which is really looking like the first decent DCEU movie), Gotham City Sirens, and now Batgirl? That's great work. Meanwhile, at Marvel....
  • It shouldn't feel like torture to watch
  • Maybe, just maybe, DC will give him more creative control than Marvel did with AoU
Anyways, count me as excited :D Your move, Marvel.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
http://www.avclub.com/article/joss-whedon-isnt-worried-about-casting-big-name-ba-254004
I really hope that he pulls from his roster for the smaller roles. Outside of Gina Torres, Alan Tudyk, Morena Baccarin, and Nathan Fillion (who now has smaller roles), the Whedonverse has a lot of great actors who probably need a job right now.

Actually, writing that list felt a little odd. Was not expecting the Firefly cast of all things to have the best job security.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
http://www.avclub.com/article/joss-whedon-isnt-worried-about-casting-big-name-ba-254004
I really hope that he pulls from his roster for the smaller roles. Outside of Gina Torres, Alan Tudyk, Morena Baccarin, and Nathan Fillion (who now has smaller roles), the Whedonverse has a lot of great actors who probably need a job right now.

Actually, writing that list felt a little odd. Was not expecting the Firefly cast of all things to have the best job security.

Add Alyson Hannigan and David Boreanaz to that list.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
David's show just ended, and I'm not sure what Alyson is up to right now. But if we're discussing over all success, I would add them to the list, with Seth Green and the guy who played Jonathan on Buffy.
Who would have thought Jonathan would be the one to get an Oscar?

mf1972

i thought it was an interesting move bringing in whedon. i partially think WB/DC really wants to put a good movie out there.
i totally agree with direwolf27. WW looks like it'll be a much better DC movie we've had in awhile

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Wonder Woman is like come on DC his is your chance! Marvel has no woman led movies yet they can set the bar.
No kidding.

DC had Suicide Squad (Harley was a co-lead with Deadshot, and the two of them were the only good things about the movie), Wonder Woman comes out in June, and Gotham City Sirens & Batgirl are in production with potential 2019 release dates.

Meanwhile at Marvel...
Ant-Man and the Wasp comes out next year (and I'm guessing that we'll finally get Janet van Dyne, hoping for Catherine Zeta Jones), and Captain Marvel comes out in 2019. Meanwhile, Scarlett Johansson has played not one, but two Black Widow-esque roles since Marvel apparently doesn't want to make a Black Widow solo film. Seriously, after Lucy became a runaway success, Disney/Marvel should have written the Widow film contract and added the film to their 2017 schedule.

Look, I'm obviously happy for DC 'taking a chance' with so many female-led projects, but Disney/Marvel messed up by delaying their projects for so long. Sure, Marvel doesn't have the big name superheroines like DC, but Black Widow wasn't a big name until she was arguably the third co-lead in Avengers (behind Iron Man and Captain America- I know she was in Iron Man 2, but she made a bigger splash in Avengers).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom