First solo trip

MagicMegan

I'm thinking about doing a solo trip the last week of May. I know it's soon but it's kind of a 'get away to keep my sanity' trip lol. It would be for 4 nights and I would most likely stay at POP.

What are your pros and cons to solo trips so I can make the best decisions? :)

MagicMegan

Original Poster
Are you looking only on Disney's website, or have you tried other travel agents? There is a travel agent who books blocks of rooms in advance through Disney's Group Reservations center. It's Magicalvacationstravel.com. Because they book blocks of rooms in advance, which they later sell to their clients, they have a different inventory pool with availability that another agent (including Disney's website) may not otherwise have.

I am actually going close to the same time frame you are wanting (May 25-31, to go for the Pandora opening). A few weeks ago they were able to book me a great deal at the Contemporary (Garden Wing) for around $300/night average. Looking on Disney's website today, the Garden Wing shows $498/night for the same dates. I found out about this company from @lentesta by reading one of his blogs on touringplans.com and scored an awesome deal. Thanks to Len for writing about them! So they may not only get you the dates you want, but get them for you at a greatly reduced rate.

So check out their site and submit a quote using offer code LMAY17 (for the time frame you are wanting). Not sure whether or not they'll have POP available but they may have another value or moderate in the ball park of what you are wanting to pay.

Another idea to get there for when you really prefer to go, is to perhaps look into changing resorts at some point during the trip. In case the resort you want is full the entire length of stay, that same resort you are looking at may have availability some of the days, and another resort may have availability the remainder of your stay.

As far as traveling solo is concerned, I'd definitely recommend it. Do it at least once in your life. I typically travel with my family when I go, however this past November I went solo for the first time and it was certainly the most peaceful and relaxing WDW trip I've ever made. Not saying it was the most enjoyable trip, but it was definitely awesome.

Obvious reasons for a solo trip are being able to decide on your own when and where you want to go without someone else not agreeing with you. I got to do what I wanted to do. I did the Keys to the Kingdom tour and Undiscovered Future World, which most folks in my family would probably not want to pay for the cost of, except for my dad. Definitely book some of these tours if it's within your budget.

Booking FP+ for D & E ticket attractions, making last minute changes, and booking your 4th, 5th, etc. additional FP+ at MK is easier because there is more FP+ availability for one person versus multiple people. If you want to eat good food but not sit at a table alone, of course you have a fair amount of restaurants with bars (except for MK) where you can sit at and order food off the menu.

There will always be people to talk to in lines, so you won't feel too alone. On the tours, the Cast Members do a great job of interacting with everyone on the tour as well.

Sorry for the long post, but I say go for it and good luck at getting something at the end of May. Pandora is opening! then!! Woo hoo!
I just got an email back from them and they have the days I wanted for $125 cheaper than on the Disney site... Thank you!!

Upvote 0

Disneyfreak Jen

GO FOR IT! :D I've gone a number of times solo, in fact I'm flying down this coming weekend for a few days for a much needed solo trip! I have gone to Disney more by myself than I have with other people, actually. LOL.

I enjoy going at my own pace, doing what I want to do when I want to do it . Change my FP to a later time because I want to go back to the resort for the afternoon and swim, check! Stop and get ice cream or ride Pirates 3x in a row because I want to, check! You'd be surprised how much more "efficient" your trip becomes because it's literally all about you and what you want. Everything you want to do, you do.

In response to your question regarding the dining, I prefer the QS dining plan, as it just works better for me. No reservations to be tied to, etc. Plus, when I'm down in Disney by myself I don't "linger" at restaurants, so QS works well. When I go with friends we usually throw in a few table service places. On another note, I have done table service reservations as a solo as well, sometimes it is a nice change.

I hope you decide to go and have a great time!!!!!!

Upvote 0

JeffBostock

I just got an email back from them and they have the days I wanted for $125 cheaper than on the Disney site... Thank you!!
Awesome! Glad to help. I usually stay off property but I'll be booking rooms through them anytime I want to stay on property. The group rate prices they get can't be beat.

As far as deciding whether you should go, if you need a break from life/work, etc. then that answers your question. Take a break and head down. You only live once. Plus it's a weekend with some historical WDW significance with Pandora finally opening officially May 27.

I happened to be at MK the day 7DMT soft opened to the public and I'll never forget it. It was neat being one of the first to get to ride it. That happened on Memorial Day weekend as well.

Go for it!

Upvote 0

JeffBostock

Officially going May 29-June 2... YAY!
Awesome! Have fun! Time to book your fastpasses! I'm sure you've done that by now lol. I love planning for that stuff. I'm still changing around some ADR's. For those hard to get ADR's I've been using Touring Plans dining reservation finder, and it's worked well. It helped me get BOG lunch and also dinner at California Grill. You just need to sign up for a touringplans.com account to use it.

Upvote 0

MagicMegan

Original Poster
Awesome! Have fun! Time to book your fastpasses! I'm sure you've done that by now lol. I love planning for that stuff. I'm still changing around some ADR's. For those hard to get ADR's I've been using Touring Plans dining reservation finder, and it's worked well. It helped me get BOG lunch and also dinner at California Grill. You just need to sign up for a touringplans.com account to use it.
I did some fastpasses already, but didn't bother with rides that have a single rider line, since I'm going alone haha.

I only set up one ADR so far, at Sanaa for lunch on the day I'm doing AK. I read good things in the dining forum so figured I would try it. Not sure what else I want to do. Was thinking of Cali Grill, there's a few times available for the days I'm doing Epcot and MK. I just can't decide!!!

Upvote 0

JeffBostock

I did some fastpasses already, but didn't bother with rides that have a single rider line, since I'm going alone haha.

I only set up one ADR so far, at Sanaa for lunch on the day I'm doing AK. I read good things in the dining forum so figured I would try it. Not sure what else I want to do. Was thinking of Cali Grill, there's a few times available for the days I'm doing Epcot and MK. I just can't decide!!!

Lol yeah no need for fastpasses on RnRC, Test Track or Everest!

Great choice on Sanaa, it's awesome. So cool to be able to look out of the windows and see the animals from your table. The food is amazing. The bread service there is great but it's a lot of food. When dining alone, if you get it, you probably won't have enough room for an entree.

Cali Grill is great. They also have a sushi bar you can sit at. For breakfast, if you've never had the Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe (Polynesian) I'd try it. It is awesome.

I'm looking forward to all the food kiosks at Epcot for Flower and Garden. So I'm not bothering with dining reservations on my Epcot days.

At AK, I recommend Tiffins. Getting a reservation shouldn't be a problem but when I went alone in November I sat at the bar which is to the left of the entrance. No reservation needed. Had a few drinks. Ordered the grilled octopus appetizer. It was great.

Upvote 0

MagicMegan

Original Poster
Lol yeah no need for fastpasses on RnRC, Test Track or Everest!

Great choice on Sanaa, it's awesome. So cool to be able to look out of the windows and see the animals from your table. The food is amazing. The bread service there is great but it's a lot of food. When dining alone, if you get it, you probably won't have enough room for an entree.

Cali Grill is great. They also have a sushi bar you can sit at. For breakfast, if you've never had the Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe (Polynesian) I'd try it. It is awesome.

I'm looking forward to all the food kiosks at Epcot for Flower and Garden. So I'm not bothering with dining reservations on my Epcot days.

At AK, I recommend Tiffins. Getting a reservation shouldn't be a problem but when I went alone in November I sat at the bar which is to the left of the entrance. No reservation needed. Had a few drinks. Ordered the grilled octopus appetizer. It was great.
Is flower and garden going on now? Because I'll cancel my Epcot day adr if it is. Ha.

Upvote 0

rufio

I did a solo trip in 2013 over Thanksgiving and LOVED it! I met a few different people here and went out to Thanksgiving breakfast with one woman and her family and had lunch another day with another woman. I'm not usually one to branch out and meet new people but I'm really glad I did it! Cast Members definitely go above and beyond to make your trip special if they know you're flying solo, by the way!

Upvote 0

gawrshdanielle

My first two trips were solo trips. I really enjoyed being able to do what I wanted whenever I wanted so that was a huge plus. I did use the quick service dining plan both trips and that worked out just fine for me. It's not that I dislike eating alone, it's just I prefer the flexibility of eating at quick service restaurants versus trying to plan my day around a reservation. I did miss having someone to talk to during my trips but overall I would go solo again in a heartbeat. My next trip is my first non-solo trip ever and I'm excited to see how that goes.

Upvote 0

MagicMegan

Original Poster
Maybe make May 29 your Epcot day. I've seen it where shortly after Food & Wine officially ends, they leave a few kiosks still up and open (one was in the Mexico pavilion) Maybe they'll do the same with F&G.
I switched it around so as of now the 29th will be my Epcot day... unless I take a coma in my hotel room and don't go lol.

Upvote 0

gawrshdanielle

Also if you share your solo Disney plans with friends/family/coworkers, be prepared. I got the remark that I was being so brave to travel by myself all the time. Disney is really safe so I didn't feel like I was being brave lol.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I go solo every year and I love it. I do what you say that you want to do, go slow and enjoy the scenery. Without another person with you, you can go at your own pace and do and see what you want. I spend 45 minutes just watching the birds at the Maharjah jungle trek at AK. Go and enjoy yourself doing what you want to do.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

Also if you share your solo Disney plans with friends/family/coworkers, be prepared. I got the remark that I was being so brave to travel by myself all the time. Disney is really safe so I didn't feel like I was being brave lol.

I hate that, like you need a to be able to function on your own. I am married and I get, "you're husband let's you go?" Seriously.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MagicMegan

Original Poster
I got guilt tripped by everyone at work, asking why I didn't ask them to go. I basically had to tell them I was making my reservations with or without them, and as soon as they have the money I can add them on.

My family... well, my 12 year old niece is mad I'm not taking her. lol

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom