Wilderness Lodge DVC additions - Copper Creek Villas & Cabins

WDW1974

I am still astounded at how truly bad these look. How out of place at the WL. And how they've largely destroyed what has always felt like 'home' to me since I first stayed there opening week of 1994.

I am sure plenty of today's Guests, today's DVCers, today's fans will lap these up ... because plenty of the above also have not the faintest clue of theming and sense of place.

As an owner at 'Boulder Ridge' (whatever the blank that is), I am just sickened by the loss of trees, the loss of theme, the loss of beauty and artistry for units that could be anywhere ... what a total piece of (crap). I waited, Ken Potrock, you were wrong, I was right. But you win anyway because there's no going back.

optjay

I am still astounded at how truly bad these look. How out of place at the WL. And how they've largely destroyed what has always felt like 'home' to me since I first stayed there opening week of 1994.

I am sure plenty of today's Guests, today's DVCers, today's fans will lap these up ... because plenty of the above also have not the faintest clue of theming and sense of place.

As an owner at 'Boulder Ridge' (whatever the blank that is), I am just sickened by the loss of trees, the loss of theme, the loss of beauty and artistry for units that could be anywhere ... what a total piece of (crap). I waited, Ken Potrock, you were wrong, I was right. But you win anyway because there's no going back.

100% agree!!!
Couldn't agree more. Right from the start of the removal of the "Wilderness" my family felt the loss of our home away from home.
People saying just wait, trees grow back. No amount of plantings will restore the beauty that once was. the cabins are so out of place, the quite pool is now an attraction size pool.
We have lost another Disney World treasure

Casper Gutman

What's really funny is the "backstory" they chose is basically "there was a beautiful woodland resort that got overdeveloped over several decades", which is a bit on the nose.

Skyway

Those things look so generic on the inside. Where's the "wilderness" theming?

Even though Wilderness Lodge is inspired by actual National Park lodges, there are surprisingly very few real-life park lodges with guest rooms that have that "wilderness" look.

One of the few is Old Faithful Inn, which inspired much of Wilderness Lodge. The rooms are definitely rustic in appearance.
https://goo.gl/images/s0Ic1n

But most other historic National Park Lodges have undergone renovations in recent years, replacing dated 70s/80s "Holiday Inn" decor with either modern or retro furnishings. Most contain only slight nods to their natural surroundings.

Most lodges and inns at Glacier National Park built in the early 1900s have been updated in recent years.
http://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/photo

Same with El Tovar:
http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging/el-tovar/

And Ahwahnee/Majestic Yosemite:
http://www.travelyosemite.com/lodging/the-majestic-yosemite-hotel/

As you can see, the new DVC Copper Creek Villas actually DO resemble many modern-day National Park lodge rooms.

But most of those real-life lodge rooms have never been "themed" and don't pretend to be anything but ordinary rooms located in beautiful buildings among beautiful surroundings.

So while many will (righfully) complain that the new DVC units don't fit in because they're too modern, they actually appear to authentically recreate today's NP lodges.

Todd H

Even though Wilderness Lodge is inspired by actual National Park lodges, there are surprisingly very few real-life park lodges with guest rooms that have that "wilderness" look.

One of the few is Old Faithful Inn, which inspired much of Wilderness Lodge. The rooms are definitely rustic in appearance.
https://goo.gl/images/s0Ic1n

But most other historic National Park Lodges have undergone renovations in recent years, replacing dated 70s/80s "Holiday Inn" decor with either modern or retro furnishings. Most contain only slight nods to their natural surroundings.

Most lodges and inns at Glacier National Park built in the early 1900s have been updated in recent years.
http://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/photo

Same with El Tovar:
http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging/el-tovar/

And Ahwahnee/Majestic Yosemite:
http://www.travelyosemite.com/lodging/the-majestic-yosemite-hotel/

As you can see, the new DVC Copper Creek Villas actually DO resemble many modern-day National Park lodge rooms.

But most of those real-life lodge rooms have never been "themed" and don't pretend to be anything but ordinary rooms located in beautiful buildings among beautiful surroundings.

So while many will (righfully) complain that the new DVC units don't fit in because they're too modern, they actually appear to authentically recreate today's NP lodges.

As an avid outdoorsman who spends more time in the mountains than at any theme park on the planet (just returned from a three day weekend excursion yesterday) I'm going to call Disney out for this lazy and uninspired job. I've stayed at many lodges where the theming is more rustic than Disney's "cabin on the outside, Holiday Inn on the inside" currently at Copper Creek. Here's a few I'll actually spent time in:

Alta Crystal Resort:

HC-living-room-web.jpg

Kalaloch Lodge:

kalaloch-lodge.jpg

And my favorite Stormking @ Mt. Ranier:

WolfInside680x450.jpg

Disney had a golden opportunity to let their creativity go wild and instead cheaped out. I know some folks will say "But those cabins you posted look too cheap and outdoorsy!" Well what do you expect at a resort named Wilderness Lodge? You want something that looks more modern? Then stay at The Contemporary. Stop trying to shoehorn this nonsense into my favorite resort.

Jon81uk

As an avid outdoorsman who spends more time in the mountains than at any theme park on the planet (just returned from a three day weekend excursion yesterday) I'm going to call Disney out for this lazy and uninspired job. I've stayed at many lodges where the theming is more rustic than Disney's "cabin on the outside, Holiday Inn on the inside" currently at Copper Creek. Here's a few I'll actually spent time in:

To be fair the cabins at Fort Wilderness look much more like that
Living-Room-The-Renovated-Cabins-at-Disneys-Fort-Wilderness-Resort-from-yourfirstvisit.net_.jpg

ABQ

Alta Crystal Resort:
I agree with you completely Todd. However, if they made anything as amazing as the Alta Crystal honeymoon cabins, I guarantee there would be people here comparing the roof line to Pizza Hut as they had with the Poly.

accommodations_hc_at_night.jpg

RandySavage

Those things look so generic on the inside. Where's the "wilderness" theming?

It appears to me that unless it's a marquee theme park project (i.e. Pandora, Star Wars, etc.), Disney/WDI contracts out interior design and installation to less expensive (than WDI) local builders/designers. Look at the "renovated"(ie, de-themed) interiors of Sunglass Hut in Adventureland, the Heritage House in Liberty Square or these hotel rooms, to name but a few examples...

There was certainly nobody with the title Art Director involved in any of these projects.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, April 26. Some serious landscaping being installed around the new cabins, which will grow dense over the years.

IMG_9512.JPG

The new pool area amenities are beginning to take shape. In the foreground is the framework for individual shelters. Shelters under construction on the left side of the pool already have their roofs. Behind the trees on the left side of the photo is the center pool "icon."

IMG_9513.JPG

The center of the pool will have this old steel crane with a boiler tank.

IMG_9514.JPG

The old pool bar is being refurbished, with work crews busy behind the walls today.

IMG_9515.JPG

The new wooden walkway is almost completed, connecting the new cabins in the background with the existing walkway to the boat transportation dock.

IMG_9516.JPG

Finally, I realize this photo is not impressive, but work crews have been refurbishing the original recreational boat dock for the Wilderness Resort, which was located on the trail to Fort Wilderness campground.
IMG_9518.JPG

flyerjab

Photo update as of Wednesday, April 26. Some serious landscaping being installed around the new cabins, which will grow dense over the years.

View attachment 201472

The new pool area amenities are beginning to take shape. In the foreground is the framework for individual shelters. Shelters under construction on the left side of the pool already have their roofs. Behind the trees on the left side of the photo is the center pool "icon."

View attachment 201473

The center of the pool will have this old steel crane with a boiler tank.

View attachment 201474

The old pool bar is being refurbished, with work crews busy behind the walls today.

View attachment 201475

The new wooden walkway is almost completed, connecting the new cabins in the background with the existing walkway to the boat transportation dock.

View attachment 201476

Finally, I realize this photo is not impressive, but work crews have been refurbishing the original recreational boat dock for the Wilderness Resort, which was located on the trail to Fort Wilderness campground.
View attachment 201477

Just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you again for all of the photos you have been taking over the last several years. I have really enjoyed watching the parks grow and develop through your lens.

flyerjab

Looking great! Thanks for the update.

We will actually be staying here in a CC studio for the Wine and Dine Marathon Weekend this year. In the minority here but I actually love the look of the landscaping, the new pool area, Geyser Point (absolutely magnificent as I have already eaten there), and I don't think that the cabins look bad at all, especially with all of the new landscaping going in all around them.

The real test will be what I think of the studio. I have been initially impressed with the grand villa and cabin room designs. The studios and 1- and 2-bedrooms I think I will really need to experience first hand to form an opinion. As an example, I love the Boulder Creek building and the lobby is tremendous. I don't necessarily think that the rooms are that great, especially the studios. But that also goes with the rooms of the WL resort as well. They are some of my least favorite room designs, but that's just me.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We will actually be staying here in a CC studio for the Wine and Dine Marathon Weekend this year. In the minority here but I actually love the look of the landscaping, the new pool area, Geyser Point (absolutely magnificent as I have already eaten there), and I don't think that the cabins look bad at all, especially with all of the new landscaping going in all around them.

The real test will be what I think of the studio. I have been initially impressed with the grand villa and cabin room designs. The studios and 1- and 2-bedrooms I think I will really need to experience first hand to form an opinion. As an example, I love the Boulder Creek building and the lobby is tremendous. I don't necessarily think that the rooms are that great, especially the studios. But that also goes with the rooms of the WL resort as well. They are some of my least favorite room designs, but that's just me.
We saw the new rooms a few weeks ago at the preview center. I disagree with people that claim it looks like IKEA, as it simply doesn't when seen in person. It isn't to everyone's taste, but then not everything is. Heck, most seem to love the Contemporary and BLT rooms, but we can't stand the look of those rooms. Yuck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom