News Club 33 coming to Walt Disney World this Fall

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disney doesn't take into account a CPs major when assigning them roles though so you'll get a bunch of kids that have no experience in the industry doing it.

Which is absolutely freaking STUPID and shows that Disney is now using CP'ers as yet another form of cheap indentured labor,

Now I was never a CP'er (or had the desire to be one) back in the early days of CP from friends who attended your major played a large role in your primary assignment you of course got other assignments to 'round out the experience'. i.e. if you were an engineering student you were likely to draw assignments in Imagineering and Maintenance, If you were in Finance bookeeping, Hospitality Resorts and F&B. it was a valuable professional internship where you got real experience instead of merely a resume enhancement.

Next Big Thing

Which is absolutely freaking STUPID and shows that Disney is now using CP'ers as yet another form of cheap indentured labor,

Now I was never a CP'er (or had the desire to be one) back in the early days of CP from friends who attended your major played a large role in your primary assignment you of course got other assignments to 'round out the experience'. i.e. if you were an engineering student you were likely to draw assignments in Imagineering and Maintenance, If you were in Finance bookeeping, Hospitality Resorts and F&B. it was a valuable professional internship where you got real experience instead of merely a resume enhancement.
Yup.

Now the CP is either seen (by the CPs) as a 4-7 month party/break from college by some or a pre-requisite to the Professional Internship, which actually does place you more in-line with your major. By Disney it's seen as paid slavery (and they always have kids salivating to get into the program).

wdrive

Yep, it's an absolute win-win for Disney. Highly motivated and excited workforce, happy to accept low pay and any position, will work any hours, most live in Disney controlled housing so rent goes back to Disney straight from their paycheck and most CPs will spend a lot of time and their pay in the parks so Disney is getting all that money back. CPs even pay for the privilege of being hired in the first place with their 'Program Assessment Fee'.

I honestly don't think Disney even takes a glance at the student's major, they literally could not care less.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yep, it's an absolute win-win for Disney. Highly motivated and excited workforce, happy to accept low pay and any position, will work any hours, most live in Disney controlled housing so rent goes back to Disney straight from their paycheck and most CPs will spend a lot of time and their pay in the parks so Disney is getting all that money back. CPs even pay for the privilege of being hired in the first place with their 'Program Assessment Fee'.

I honestly don't think Disney even takes a glance at the student's major, they literally could not care less.

Well at least INITIALLY they are a motivated and excited workforce, 2-3 weeks in generally 'not happy'... Disney seems to have the skill to remove all the joy from anything they touch.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The videos on YouTube are trending toward "Why/How I Left the Disney College Program"...

Not a good thing for Disney... As much as I criticize TWDC all I really want is for them to return to their prior standards of business practice, under which their ROI was greater than it is today.

Next Big Thing

Well at least INITIALLY they are a motivated and excited workforce, 2-3 weeks in generally 'not happy'... Disney seems to have the skill to remove all the joy from anything they touch.
Depends who you are. I did the CP in 2015 and it's a great mixture of people. Some that ae fine with the job and really cool. Then the overbearing Disney fan. Then the person who just gives up and gets fired.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Depends who you are. I did the CP in 2015 and it's a great mixture of people. Some that ae fine with the job and really cool. Then the overbearing Disney fan. Then the person who just gives up and gets fired.

I'm guessing you fit in category #1, Which is a good thing as you learned how dysfunctional modern american corporations can be and you survived and thrived in that environment which indicates you will be successful long term.

Next Big Thing

I'm guessing you fit in category #1, Which is a good thing as you learned how dysfunctional modern american corporations can be and you survived and thrived in that environment which indicates you will be successful long term.
The DCP is definitely something we can pick apart all day, but at the end of the day, it's a great experience if you choose to make it one. Most just aren't there for the right reasons and for many of the CPs, it's their first time leaving home and living on their own, which can be a great experience, but it also causes a lot of people to quit early.

MotherOfBirds

They could tie it into the "Place for super rich people that normies will never get to experience" angle and make it a Freemason lodge plastered in Illuminati Eye Pyramids and an animatronic lizard man in a powdered wig.
Plus VIP access to an exclusive after-hours event at Hall of Presidents where they all shapeshift back into their lizard forms followed by a special chemtrails edition of wishes. Book now and get a free government mind-control chip for your magicband! Remember not to drink the water!

Last edited:

Bandini

Disney under Iger is good at extracting short term cash from the efforts of those who went before them and sending money to Wall St.

As to creating long term value not so good. Its why Disney is in the crosshairs of a couple of rumored hostile takeover bids by companies who will break it up and keep the pieces that they want.

Imagine the parks owned by Dalian Wanda group for instance... the hotels by Hilton or Marriott

Good job Iger you get more money than you can ever spend but the rest of us lose a cultural icon
I don't know, is a hostile takeover such a bad thing?

Personally I'm happier at a Marriott than I am at a WDW resort hotel. The Marriott's seem to care about their guests. It was a pretty sad day when Disney hired an outside consulting firm to improve their housekeeping.

As far as the parks go, maybe they could be run by someone that loves the parks. I am sick of being treated like an ATM machine, instead of a valued guest. I miss the days of being amazed with WDW. I don't think I'd resent the constant price hikes, if I really thought the experience was still fantastic.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Personally I'm happier at a Marriott than I am at a WDW resort hotel. The Marriott's seem to care about their guests. It was a pretty sad day when Disney hired an outside consulting firm to improve their housekeeping.

As far as the parks go, maybe they could be run by someone that loves the parks. I am sick of being treated like an ATM machine, instead of a valued guest. I miss the days of being amazed with WDW. I don't think I'd resent the constant price hikes, if I really thought the experience was still fantastic.

So does that mean you won't be joining club 33?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

In reality it could mean the parks & resorts business being sold to someone like blackstone as Uni was because of the potential to mine short term cash from the business rather than an operator who is actually interested in investing in the business

FigmentJedi

In reality it could mean the parks & resorts business being sold to someone like blackstone as Uni was because of the potential to mine short term cash from the business rather than an operator who is actually interested in investing in the business
Plus you think the "Nothing is safe" climate we have going under Chapek is bad now? Just imagine vast chunks of the parks being ripped out for megacoasters with clipart of cartoon characters pasted on the signs out front. Because that's what we'd probably get.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom