Space Mountain Finally Normal Again This Summer

D

Deleted member 107043

Also, can I just question the logic of adding an overlay to one of the most popular attractions at a park. What does that get you? Marketing aside, it just puts further strain on an already popular attraction without boosting capacity.

This times 1000. I don't get it. The only temporary overlay I've seen where there was value was Small World Holiday. For some reason it just worked for me. The attraction overlays, themed land overlays, and seasonal promotions seem like gimmicks geared to drive AP sales.

Last edited by a moderator:

FerretAfros

Also, can I just question the logic of adding an overlay to one of the most popular attractions at a park. What does that get you? Marketing aside, it just puts further strain on an already popular attraction without boosting capacity.
See also: Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT!

And to a lesser extent Maelstrom/Frozen Ever After. Maelstrom wasn't exactly a headliner, but it essentially operated at capacity all day every day (though the new ride has expanded operating hours).

For whatever reason, Disney seems to avoid investing in new attractions that will increase a park's capacity, but has no problem spending money to reinvent old-yet-popular without doing anything for capacity, but do tear away at the land/park's theme. I don't get it.

Curious Constance

I was really looking forward to trying the Hyperspace version. But, I'm actually kind of already over it. It'll be nice for my kids to ride the original version since three years ago, it was the Ghost Galaxy version, and that's all they remember.

180º

Original Poster
Hyperspace Mountain was an idea that I didn't like. I kept an open mind when I rode it for the first time, and I quite enjoyed it! Then, after a few more times, I was totally over it and wanted Space Mountain back. Fast forward a year and a half, and I'm a little disappointed it stuck around for so long, and I'm sure it'll be back soon.

End eulogy.

Well, I guess it's not a eulogy if it comes back.

Figments Friend

Very pleased to hear this.

The temporary 'Star Wars' themed overlay was a fun change, but I prefer the previous version of Disneyland's 'Space Mountain'.
The LCD screens inside reflecting off of the tracks kind of spoiled some of the scenic elements for me.
I prefer whirling around in space, which is dark and has celestial bodies to wiz by.
It gives the illusion of going much faster then you actually are.

Very glad to hear they are returning it to its previous state.
Another thing to look forward to this Summer......yay!
:)

-

No Name

I am personally glad to hear this, but I can't imagine Hyperspace Mountain won't be making a return sometime before Star Wars Land opens.

It's crazy how fans and locals get so worked up about "IP overlays" of original attractions (see Mission Breakout), and yet this was quite popular among those groups. Maybe knowing that it's only temporary makes it okay? I wonder how different the reaction would be if they were to announce this as a permanent change.

As you know, the park does have a history of doing many temporary overlays for the holidays and such. Since they continue to do those year after year, I imagine they see benefits. I guess they believe that giving locals a fresh experience during different seasons keeps them coming to the park. And Hyperspace Mountain does provide a fresh experience.

I am not a fan of holiday decorations, overlays, etc., but maybe that's because I'm an infrequent visitor. Sucks visiting in September/October of every year and never seeing a Main Street that isn't covered in pumpkins.

PiratesoftheHM

It's crazy how fans and locals get so worked up about "IP overlays" of original attractions (see Mission Breakout), and yet this was quite popular among those groups. Maybe knowing that it's only temporary makes it okay? I wonder how different the reaction would be if they were to announce this as a permanent change.

There would be outrage - probably worse than the TOT outrage - if the change was permanent. People are upset about the permanent change to Hyperspace in DLP Discoveryland.

The only better factor in this change would be that Star Wars currently fits in the theme of Tomorrowland and does not destroy the theme of DL Park. GOTG in DCA on the other hand...

D

Deleted member 107043

The only better factor in this change would be that Star Wars currently fits in the theme of Tomorrowland

Really? What is the theme of Tomorrowland? From what I can tell it's as much of a hodgepodge as Hollywood Land, maybe even more so.

No Name

There would be outrage - probably worse than the TOT outrage - if the change was permanent. People are upset about the permanent change to Hyperspace in DLP Discoveryland.

The only better factor in this change would be that Star Wars currently fits in the theme of Tomorrowland and does not destroy the theme of DL Park. GOTG in DCA on the other hand...

Oh, it's actually being billed as permanent in DLP? I guess that makes sense (from an inexperinced exec's perspective), since DLP isn't getting a Star Wars Land... at least not soon. But Space Mountain was the ride... oh dear, oh dear.

I looked up pictures, and the Hyperspace Mountain sign was designed with no regard for the land's aesthetics. Looks like a mess to me!

The one in Hong Kong isn't permanent... yet... right?

PiratesoftheHM

Really? What is the theme of Tomorrowland? From what I can tell it's as much of a hodgepodge as Hollywood Land, maybe even more so.

It is definitely a hodgepodge, but to say that Star Wars doesn't fit in TL but GOTG belongs in Hollywood and more importantly CALIFORNIA is silly.

Hollywoodland, excluding the backlot and including the former TOT, was more consistent than Tomorrowland. But currently, not even close.

Considering Star Wars is present in almost every TL. And Star Wars has been in DL Tomorrowland since 1987. We have come to accept in general that it is at least a decent fit.

mickEblu

Personally I wouldn't be as outraged because I know that they could and probably would change it back at some point as it's easy as taking down the projection screens and changing the soundtrack. It would be a whole lot of work to get TOT back now. Never happening.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
The Star Wars theme was fun, but when I was on it last week I couldn't help but think it would be nice to see the original again. My hubs is upset because he likes the Star Wars theming.

D

Deleted member 107043

It is definitely a hodgepodge, but to say that Star Wars doesn't fit in TL but GOTG belongs in Hollywood and more importantly CALIFORNIA is silly.

Not to beat this dead horse again but even with Tower of Terror Hollywood Land didn't have much of a story once you got past Hollywood Blvd, which itself is mostly set dressing. The Hyperion has a very lightly decorated facade with a huge blank warehouse wall facing ToT. Monsters has nothing to do with 1930s Hollywood, nor do the remaining attractions, shops and eateries. Both TL and HL are weakly themed and could benefit from some serious Disney place making. Hoping this is remedied when the rumored Marvel and TL redo projects are finally announced.

DDLand

Oh, it's actually being billed as permanent in DLP? I guess that makes sense (from an inexperinced exec's perspective), since DLP isn't getting a Star Wars Land... at least not soon. But Space Mountain was the ride... oh dear, oh dear.

I looked up pictures, and the Hyperspace Mountain sign was designed with no regard for the land's aesthetics. Looks like a mess to me!

The one in Hong Kong isn't permanent... yet... right?
Sadly Disneyland Paris has received the IP mandate from above, and this is the quickest route for IP tie in. With Bob Chapek's view that the "parks are a physical manifestation of [Disney] stories, [Disney] mythologies, and [Disney] characters," this is how things operate. Not storytelling, but just a physical rendering of what is already known. Not a ton of "Imagination" in that.

Things like this DLP Space Mountain prove just how far off the rails things have come. I'm sure when Chapek walks around Disneyland Paris it makes no sense whatsoever. "Why are there these generic lands that don't tie into our brands?" I feel bad, he must get frustrated. Same at Disney's Animal Kingdom; just think of his disdain on Kilimanjaro Safaris as he passes by all those wasted character tie ins...

They're actually moving relatively quickly to bolster IP at DLP, with Hide and Seek: Jack Sparrow Edition, Hyperspace Mountain, and the horribly named (despite what Tom says) Adventure Continues going in.

I was listening to something Tony Baxter said at the anniversary of DLP, and someone asked about Discoveryland's direction. He misunderstood the question a little, but basically said "you know they're building those Star Wars Lands over at Walt Disney World and Disneyland and we'll see how they go..." So he seems to be hoping for Discoveryland's deliverance eventually.

Hong Kong Disneyland's Space Mountain is in an interesting position. The overlay is not permanently installed, and the queue and features are less impressive because of it. The problem is it has no end date. Much like Disneyland's was, it's in limbo. It's not going anywhere short to medium term.

Its future is further complicated because it resides in what they've billed as "the first Marvel themed land." This newly made sore thumb has a red target painted on its back. Fears are only compounded by the fact there is some type of attraction retheme coming in 2021. My money is on Space Mountain being turned into Guardians, Doctor Strange, or some other Marvel Space IP. Not official, but that's what my chips are on. Most of the park is brand new and the only Shanghai clone is Pooh; which is an immensely popular attraction at Hong Kong.

Where that puts Star Wars is another issue entirely. Could Hong Kong pursue a mini Star Wars Land on its southwest corner?

So chances are that two Space Mountains are losing their identities with one having the slightest chance of rebirth, and the other not a chance.

Two down, three to go...

BrianLo

I wouldn't be worried that any of these turn-key overlays are actually, truly, permanent. All it takes is some marketing whiz to go, oh, hey let's just flick the switch back over and the suckers will show up in droves.

Same reason California will be back to Soaring. They just need the locals to start to really desperately miss it.

Laughably it's not in Florida because their SM is a disaster.

D.Silentu

I never minded Hyperspace, though I can see that it's somewhat long in the tooth. But I really appreciate the occasional overlay to Space. This is the part where the villagers start lighting torches, but I'm not really a fan of Space Mountain, post 2005. I remember being surprised at how mismatched and even uninteresting the queue was. The new 'windows' still seem well below par for Disney! As for the ride itself, so many people praised how dark it was. I felt like I was the only one who remembered Disney's press release promising vibrant visuals, likened to those seen through the hubble telescope.

The best parts of the ride are those left over from the original. I suppose I was expecting a modernization to the ride and its effects, but to me it really felt like a downgrade. Has the spinning tunnel effect ever actually worked on anyone? The original was certainly retro and deserved an update. But there were neat things to see inside (first to spot the floating cookie wins) and you were teased by it all as you waited in line and peered through that window into the dome. Today we can soak in the mystique of a dim red hallway.

There were a few improvements that came out of the 2005 refurb and I don't mean to say I dislike the ride. Fun is fun, I just remember when it felt a lot more like a journey to a fantastic place, rather than a void. So I don't mind being chased by an alien, or stumbling into an Xwing dogfight once in awhile.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

Sadly Disneyland Paris has received the IP mandate from above, and this is the quickest route for IP tie in. With Bob Chapek's view that the "parks are a physical manifestation of [Disney] stories, [Disney] mythologies, and [Disney] characters," this is how things operate. Not storytelling, but just a physical rendering of what is already known. Not a ton of "Imagination" in that.

Things like this DLP Space Mountain prove just how far off the rails things have come. I'm sure when Chapek walks around Disneyland Paris it makes no sense whatsoever. "Why are there these generic lands that don't tie into our brands?" I feel bad, he must get frustrated. Same at Disney's Animal Kingdom; just think of his disdain on Kilimanjaro Safaris as he passes by all those wasted character tie ins...

They're actually moving relatively quickly to bolster IP at DLP, with Hide and Seek: Jack Sparrow Edition, Hyperspace Mountain, and the horribly named (despite what Tom says) Adventure Continues going in.

I was listening to something Tony Baxter said at the anniversary of DLP, and someone asked about Discoveryland's direction. He misunderstood the question a little, but basically said "you know they're building those Star Wars Lands over at Walt Disney World and Disneyland and we'll see how they go..." So he seems to be hoping for Discoveryland's deliverance eventually.

Hong Kong Disneyland's Space Mountain is in an interesting position. The overlay is not permanently installed, and the queue and features are less impressive because of it. The problem is it has no end date. Much like Disneyland's was, it's in limbo. It's not going anywhere short to medium term.

Its future is further complicated because it resides in what they've billed as "the first Marvel themed land." This newly made sore thumb has a red target painted on its back. Fears are only compounded by the fact there is some type of attraction retheme coming in 2021. My money is on Space Mountain being turned into Guardians, Doctor Strange, or some other Marvel Space IP. Not official, but that's what my chips are on. Most of the park is brand new and the only Shanghai clone is Pooh; which is an immensely popular attraction at Hong Kong.

Where that puts Star Wars is another issue entirely. Could Hong Kong pursue a mini Star Wars Land on its southwest corner?

So chances are that two Space Mountains are losing their identities with one having the slightest chance of rebirth, and the other not a chance.

Two down, three to go...

I doubt we'll see Star Wars lands of any size at HKDL (or SDL) any time soon. The Chinese really could not care any less for the IP. They have more interest in Marvel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom