First time visit to sea world

21stamps

I think you're heavily misunderstanding. I never said I wanted the conservation efforts to go away. In fact, that is exactly the reason I don't want SeaWorld to go out of business! They do great work for marine life, and if SeaWorld closes their gates, they won't have the funds to rescue any more animals. Unlike many others, I DO NOT root against SeaWorld. I root FOR SeaWorld. I root for them to adapt to the times and stay relevant, so that children of the future don't turn their noses at the place, but instead, love it like you and I do.

My whole point is that if the park doesn't change (or give the impression of change, which seems to be the short-term strategy) business will continue to suffer.

Would you rather see the place you love suffer in attendance and carry a bad stigma, or would you rather see a changed version of it thrive and be universally loved?

I love the live shows, I really do. The One Ocean beat is stuck in my head. Dun.... Dun dun. Dun.... Dun dun dun dun dun. But they have to move away from the circus-esque shows if they want to stay relevant and stay ahead of the curve, especially long-term. Well, long-term, they will have to move away from the shows entirely.

And I don't support bare-steel coasters. But how about rides like Antartica that explore the lives of penguins (disregarding the ride's shortcomings)? How about Wild Arctic, how about Turtle Trek? All great attractions that don't have animals performing to human commands.

I hope that is the direction SeaWorld goes, still maintaining the education values. I too hope that it doesn't become like Six Flags.

Sorry, I know that was a mouthful, but hopefully I explained myself better.

Thank you for that explanation. Your "animal Cruelty" comment brought out my claws.. those kind of comments always do. I love the ocean deeply (no pun intended ;) ), it has been an integral part of my life, and I have tried to instill that same love in my own child as much as possible. Loving marine life, being involved in volunteer organizations, typically stems from seeing those animals in captivity.. that's what ignites the spark.
There's a reason why most research centers do live shows, and why they have humans interact in these shows- it's because it can inspire people to do more, monetarily, volunteer wise, or maybe just respect marine life while boating/snorkeling/fishing/diving/etc. These are all very important things imo. It's essential to sustain and care for certain species and reefs.

There is no proof that live shows are bad for any animals.. some believe they are, some believe they aren't. But none of us actually know..
I will never be on the same page with anyone or any group who calls for the removal of animals from a zoo, aquarium, or any other conservation focused place.

Here's the latest from PETA-

IMG_4163.jpg

Strong, right? 4K "likes" at that time. 3.2 thousand "shares". Who knows what that count is up to at 10pm tonight.

I will place a hefty bet that most of those shares and likes are by people who have no clue about actual conservation.

I also doubt that they read this-

According to Polar Bears International, the polar bear species has a life expectancy of 15 to 18 years in the wild. Some live 20 to 30 years, but only a small percentage live past the 15 to 18 range. (The oldest captive polar bear died at 41.) In the wild, these bears are threatened by climate change, a rapid loss of sea ice, poaching and pollution.

In response to PETA’s assertions, SeaWorld remains steadfast. “We and other accredited and world-class zoological facilities remain focused on our important mission of animal conservation and public education and inspiration,” the company said to PEOPLE in an email. “We will not be distracted by organizations with a clear anti-zoo agenda creating false narratives not grounded in any scientific fact. It is well documented that adult polar bears are typically solitary animals, and Szenja was continually cared for and enriched by her dedicated and passionate animal care team. She did not demonstrate any adverse behavioral changes following Snowflake’s transport to the Pittsburgh Zoo in February as part of the Species Survival Plan (SSP) breeding visit …. Unlike wild polar bears facing habitat loss, human encroachment and limited food sources, Szenja lived a long and enriching life at SeaWorld, with the passionate and uncompromising care provided to her by her loving trainers, and made a positive impact on tens of millions of park guests that had the chance to see her over the past 20 years.”

I am so sick of PETA's sensationalist BS. And I'm sick of people sharing and liking, and even worse- believing anything and everything that PETA says.

There are people involved in rescue and rehabilitation efforts every day, including SeaWorld, there are people who are members of research facilities...what are MOST people who claim "animal cruelty" doing? The internet people, are they on rescue missions? Are they donating time or money?

There are children and adults forging personal connections with these animals- regardless at a zoo, aquarium, dolphin research center, or SeaWorld.
If you take that connection away, then what happens?

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I hope you're right.

Please don't mistake my posts for a personal boycott of the changing SeaWorld, they're not. I will support them..as long as marine life stays a large focus in what they do. SeaWorld had a major impact on my life. I attribute my love of diving and marine life to an interest sparked as a young girl visiting SeaWorld annually. I was absolutely intrigued by what I saw there. I want that impact to exist for current generations, and future ones.

I'm counting on humans to be more intelligent than what we've seen the past few years. Or at least- counting on the informed humans to be louder than the internet warriors.

I haven't given up on SeaWorld, or Americans, just yet.
Sortof like what EPCOT used to be for a variety of reasons, including the Living Seas (but also technology, agriculture, etc...etc...)...

But, hey, let's just shove an IP in here or there...mission doesn't matter, it's about Lowest Common Denominator entertainment!

21stamps

Sortof like what EPCOT used to be for a variety of reasons, including the Living Seas (but also technology, agriculture, etc...etc...)...

But, hey, let's just shove an IP in here or there...mission doesn't matter, it's about Lowest Common Denominator entertainment!

I agree with that somewhat.lol. I don't hate character integration, but there needs to still be attractions which inspire passions outside of a Disney character.
There is learning to be had in Epcot, but nothing like it once was.

21stamps

Wow. Took me awhile to spot the "newest" profile of the s-club. Kudos for Not exposing yourself for a whole 3 weeks.

L.C. Clench

You have to keep in mind they current leadership sees IPs as a risk free way to increase revenue. It's why the only new movies are remakes of animated films and anything new anywhere has to be IP related. I do think they could be used to further EPCOT but that might require actual creativity where simply replaying the movie as a dark ride is quick and easy. I know that have to rename HS first but pretty soon we'll I just have MK East, MK West, MK South and MK North.

I think SeaWorld just got put in a bad spot and lots of people just jump on bandwagons without any real information. If it's trendy they'll jump on it and SeaWorld did a terrible job of responding to the initial wave. I think they've really gotten to a point where they're going to have to keep working on simply being Busch Gardens of the ocean world.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Wow. Took me awhile to spot the "newest" profile of the s-club. Kudos for Not exposing yourself for a whole 3 weeks.

One can only assume that s-club means stalker club since that's the idiotic label you slap on people quite often, but who are you even talking about? Nothing is even directed at you. I'm starting to think you're certifiably insane.

21stamps

You have to keep in mind they current leadership sees IPs as a risk free way to increase revenue. It's why the only new movies are remakes of animated films and anything new anywhere has to be IP related. I do think they could be used to further EPCOT but that might require actual creativity where simply replaying the movie as a dark ride is quick and easy. I know that have to rename HS first but pretty soon we'll I just have MK East, MK West, MK South and MK North.

I think SeaWorld just got put in a bad spot and lots of people just jump on bandwagons without any real information. If it's trendy they'll jump on it and SeaWorld did a terrible job of responding to the initial wave. I think they've really gotten to a point where they're going to have to keep working on simply being Busch Gardens of the ocean world.

The larger issue, imo, is if "we" let PETA succeed. They are actively and aggressively trying to put SeaWorld out of business.. or at least get rid of any creature that resides there.

If they "win" this fight.. what's next?

Do we let PETA and the mindless bandwagon hashtag army start destroying any Zoo or Aquarium in the US?

Yes, I realize that sounds dramatic.. but it's PETA's end goal.. and ignorant people are helping them accomplish it.

matt78

The larger issue, imo, is if "we" let PETA succeed. They are actively and aggressively trying to put SeaWorld out of business.. or at least get rid of any creature that resides there.

Do we let PETA and the mindless bandwagon hashtag army start destroying any Zoo or Aquarium in the US?

Yes, I realize that sounds dramatic.. but it's PETA's end goal.. and ignorant people are helping them accomplish it.

Forget Zoos and Aquariums. PETA real end game is to eliminate your pets. In their opinion all animals are better off dead then being kept alive as pets.

21stamps

Forget Zoos and Aquariums. PETA real end game is to eliminate your pets. In their opinion all animals are better off dead then being kept alive as pets.
Sometimes I wonder if they just sit and laugh at us. I Jones understand how such an organization was given such a loud voice, and had so much influence. I wonder if they truly believe the things that they say

I understand being for animal rights, there are plenty of things that I am passionate about when it comes to that subject. I can't stand irresponsible boating, or fishing, or removing conch shells from a beach. Once while on a dive, I asked - nicely at first, for someone to be more responsible with their actions- they removed an anemone... I overheard them talking about it, and how they were going to put it in their fish tank. I was livid.
So I understand being passionate about these things.

I can even somewhat understand people who are against the circus.

But I can't understand PETA. I just Think they are 100% crazy. And I believe that they do so much more harm than good.

My dog is a Maltese. The breed exists to have human owners, I would fight those lunatics tooth and nail on that one.

L.C. Clench

Not sure if it is dramatic and I'm also not sure how you stop the process at this point. They killed Ringling Brothers and I think SeaWorld didn't do them any favors trying to attack PETA after Blackfish. Prior to that point they were just an annoyance but that gave them a nationals stage and now people just don't want to be seen as "not supporting the animals". Of course many of these same people who avoid SeaWorld through moral obligations are still going to Zoos or Animal Kingdom so their stand only applies where it seems publicly cool to do so.

21stamps

Not sure if it is dramatic and I'm also not sure how you stop the process at this point. They killed Ringling Brothers and I think SeaWorld didn't do them any favors trying to attack PETA after Blackfish. Prior to that point they were just an annoyance but that gave them a nationals stage and now people just don't want to be seen as "not supporting the animals". Of course many of these same people who avoid SeaWorld through moral obligations are still going to Zoos or Animal Kingdom so their stand only applies where it seems publicly cool to do so.

Your last sentence is the biggest problem of all.
Fake People who are so set on exuding whatever is "trendy" at the moment, are somehow in a power position to have a large negative impact on the rest of us.

It's quite frightening.

matt78

Sometimes I wonder if they just sit and laugh at us. I Jones understand how such an organization was given such a loud voice, and had so much influence. I wonder if they truly believe the things that they say

I understand being for animal rights, there are plenty of things that I am passionate about when it comes to that subject. I can't stand irresponsible boating, or fishing, or removing conch shells from a beach. Once while on a dive, I asked - nicely at first, for someone to be more responsible with their actions- they removed an anemone... I overheard them talking about it, and how they were going to put it in their fish tank. I was livid.
So I understand being passionate about these things.

I can even somewhat understand people who are against the circus.

But I can't understand PETA. I just Think they are 100% crazy. And I believe that they do so much more harm than good.

My dog is a Maltese. The breed exists to have human owners, I would fight those lunatics tooth and nail on that one.

Crazy doesn't even begin to describe them. I saw a story from a couple of years ago where 2 of their employees went and stole a little girl's puppy. They put the poor dog down as soon as they got it into their van. The same article said that their main animal rescue facility had a 90+% kill rate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom