Wait list

UncleFastpass

Original Poster
I will be staying at a grand villa at OKW at the end of September and I am on a wait list for one near the hospitality house. My question is do wait lists get granted more often months out or closer to arrival time?

Rob562

I will be staying at a grand villa at OKW at the end of September and I am on a wait list for one near the hospitality house. My question is do wait lists get granted more often months out or closer to arrival time?

According to Touring Plans' Room Finder, there are only two Grand Villas in the Near HH category, and they're both in Building 25. So right off the bat your chances are slim.

Instead, you may want to request a Grand Villa in buildings 15, 16 or 63. There are two Grands in each of those, and some of them appear to be closer to HH than the "Near HH" Building 25...

-Rob

UncleFastpass

Original Poster
According to Touring Plans' Room Finder, there are only two Grand Villas in the Near HH category, and they're both in Building 25. So right off the bat your chances are slim.

Instead, you may want to request a Grand Villa in buildings 15, 16 or 63. There are two Grands in each of those, and some of them appear to be closer to HH than the "Near HH" Building 25...

-Rob
Thank you. It is strange when I booked every Friday in September was booked for a grand villa near the HH no other days just Friday?

Simba's Mom

In answer to your original question, a CM once told me that Waitlists often come through just before the 30 day window. That's because, at least according to her, many members know they'll probably cancel but just don't get around to actually doing it, deciding for sure, until that dreaded "holding points" situation looms. One year, our waitlist came through at 31 days, and that's when I learned this. We're on the waitlist for mid-October for a 1 BR at BCV. We've been waiting since March, and I haven't worried, but as mid-September approaches, I'll get anxious!

UncleFastpass

Original Poster
In answer to your original question, a CM once told me that Waitlists often come through just before the 30 day window. That's because, at least according to her, many members know they'll probably cancel but just don't get around to actually doing it, deciding for sure, until that dreaded "holding points" situation looms. One year, our waitlist came through at 31 days, and that's when I learned this. We're on the waitlist for mid-October for a 1 BR at BCV. We've been waiting since March, and I haven't worried, but as mid-September approaches, I'll get anxious!
Thank you,that makes sense canceling before 30 days. I have only wait listed a couple of times and have never gotten it so I don't have a point of reference and didn't know what the"sweet spot" was.

EOD K9

Also, if you are next on the list, and someone cancels three months out, then you'll know. One year around the holidays I couldn't get a studio at SSR and made a reservation at ....wait....All Star Sports just to have a place to stay. Mid October I received my letter in the mail saying Welcome Home and you will be in a one bedroom. I wait listed anything just to be able to use my points and cash. Low and behold, it came through. The 30 day "rule" though does make the most sense.

WDW Guru

What is the likeliness of a waitlist being granted if I am waitlisted for a studio at OKW and Saratoga Springs for Oct 2-7?

dreamfinder

What is the likeliness of a waitlist being granted if I am waitlisted for a studio at OKW and Saratoga Springs for Oct 2-7?

Hard to say. Depends on the overall ability for that time period. If they are only showing a day or two of availability, then you basically need someone to cancel an identical booking. But if there is only one night blocking your reservation, then you only need someone who has that same one night. You did waitlist the two resorts that have the most rooms, so you do stand a reasonable chance. But Oct is very popular for F&W, so it's a toss up. Unfortunately, the DVC website shows the following:
Week of October 2 - October 8

Resort Location
Room Type Available Dates
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa 2-Bedroom Villa October 4,5
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa 3-Bedroom Grand Villa October 4,5
Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, Ko Olina, Hawai'i 3-Bedroom Grand Villa October 2,3,4,5,6
Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort 2-Bedroom Villa October 2,3,4,5
Admittedly, this was last updated 9/6, but I don't see any studios listed anywhere on the < 60 day list. Not sure if they simply choose not to list them, or if there really is no availability for studios.

Ralphlaw

I decided to resurrect this old thread. For some reason, it seems that the waitlist used to be more fruitful. In year's past, the waitlist worked very well for us, usually within a few weeks. Suddenly I'm hearing and seeing that the waitlists aren't coming through like they used to. Is everyone else noticing the same thing?

EOD K9

I decided to resurrect this old thread. For some reason, it seems that the waitlist used to be more fruitful. In year's past, the waitlist worked very well for us, usually within a few weeks. Suddenly I'm hearing and seeing that the waitlists aren't coming through like they used to. Is everyone else noticing the same thing?
Is it because due to people's scheduling and no backsies with the airlines, people aren't canceling and hence no waitlists become available?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

For the past couple of years at least for me waitlists have been unsuccessful ive been waitlisting things like 1-2 BR units say 8-9 months out and waitlists have failed where usually in the past they would succeed somewhere in the 60-30 day timeframe

What i suspect is happening is DVC is choosing to maximize breakage income and indirectly drive greater CRO revenue as DVC rooms at rack rate are worth more as 'cash' rooms than they are as DVC rentals.

A 2BR at BLT (where i own) is say 60 points which at MF rates is 344/night now the rack rate is around 1400/Night

Which rate do you think Disney wants to sell that room for???? Remember there is no wall between DVC and CRO they both report to the head of P&R u

Remember Disney has to give you the points. However there is nothing in the contract which guarantees you will be able to redeem them. But there are lots of weasel words where disney can wiggle out of giving you ways to redeem points

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Is it because due to people's scheduling and no backsies with the airlines, people aren't canceling and hence no waitlists become available?

That could be the case but the no backsies rules have been on the airlines forever. I suspect Disney is choosing to maximize breakage as with an improving economy our DVC rooms are worth far more as CRO rooms.

And recall our agreements with DVC 'allow' unreserved rooms in the 60 day window to be transferred to CRO as breakage.

In the past it appeared Disney would fulfill waitlist requests from this inventory now because CRO rooms are so valuable Disney is choosing breakage instead of waitlists where in the past breakage was in the under 30 day category.

correcaminos

Not for us. We had a waitlist for a 1 bedroom at BCV come through in a matter of days. Reading on another forum (DVC only) I see a lot of wait lists coming through fine. Still wise to stalk RAT because sometimes you can snag a room before it gets fulfilled, but in general I find it to be the opposite - improved waitlists instead of less.

Ralphlaw

Not for us. We had a waitlist for a 1 bedroom at BCV come through in a matter of days. Reading on another forum (DVC only) I see a lot of wait lists coming through fine. Still wise to stalk RAT because sometimes you can snag a room before it gets fulfilled, but in general I find it to be the opposite - improved waitlists instead of less.

Glad to hear it. Time to start working the website and phones, I guess.

Blairnicol

Do you see better luck with stalking the RAT than with the waitlist? I'm currently on waitlist for two resorts for the weekend of the Wine & Dine 1/2. I've never had a waitlist NOT go through, so I'm fairly optimistic, but I've also never been gunning for such a competitive weekend & it's stressing me OUUUUUUT.

correcaminos

Do you see better luck with stalking the RAT than with the waitlist? I'm currently on waitlist for two resorts for the weekend of the Wine & Dine 1/2. I've never had a waitlist NOT go through, so I'm fairly optimistic, but I've also never been gunning for such a competitive weekend & it's stressing me OUUUUUUT.
It wasn't a big deal if we did not get it as we had BWV booked so I did not stalk the RAT myself. Others have had good luck both ways (stalking and just waiting). Do you have anything booked for that weekend?

dreamfinder

There was one instance where I saw something come up in RAT that we had a waitlist for, but the booking bailed on me online, and when I called in they told me that the waitlist was filled. Not sure if the waitlist finally grabbed the room I saw via RAT, or if there were two separate rooms that had opened up.

Blairnicol

It wasn't a big deal if we did not get it as we had BWV booked so I did not stalk the RAT myself. Others have had good luck both ways (stalking and just waiting). Do you have anything booked for that weekend?
I have SSR booked, but I'm not a huge fan of that resort. Especially for the race/Food & Wine. My legs would prefer something at Crescent Lake. What I'm annoyed with is that there are NO 2BRs available on the DVC site for that weekend/week, but they are available at various resorts for a cash res on the regular Disney site. :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom