MK Hotel (or not?) in December

MamaMeg

Original Poster
I am planning a trip in December 2017, but only staying for a couple of days because we are doing the December 9 Disney Cruise. We are arriving on the 6th so are staying for 3 nights and 2 days. Kids are 4 and 5. My question is if you have input on staying in a MK resort for ease of getting into the park since our time will be limited. I am having a very hard time deciding where to stay. Thinking maybe the Contemporary.

slappy magoo

I wouldn't bring kids that age to the Contemporary. If your budget allows it, I think the most "magical" resorts for kids that age are the Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, and Animal Kingdom Lodge in no particular order.

Sure the Contemporary might not be as kid friendly but it seems since your trip is short, the convenience of walking to and from the MK is the big draw. Seems worth it to me!

I agree with @DisneyDreamer08 Aside from the fact that I'm of an age where the Contemporary Resort defines "Disney" to me, with kids that little and time on property that short, you're probably going to spend most of that time at MK. So the Contemporary will afford you the easiest and quickest way to get to MK and back. You've got Chef Mickey's right there, you're on the monorail so you can access the character meals and other amenities they offer easily, you've got boat access to Wilderness Lodge & Fort Wilderness...there are a lot of options from that one resort to get to and visit other resorts that are more "magical" if time permits. But with 3 days and young kids, it's all about MK. So Contemporary, if it's in your budget, is a great choice
I'll also add that of my last 4 trips, 3 of them were at Bay Lake Tower/Contemporary. My kids love it there and even though the last trip was not there, and my kids SOMEHOW managed to have a good time at Kidani Village and the Grand Floridian :rolleyes: my oldest (8 and change) confided to me that it's still her favorite place to be. To her, being able to walk to the MK, or better yet, monorail there and then do an entire loop on the monorail again before going "home" when the day is done, THAT is Disney magic to her. The shops on the 4th floor, the 4th floor deck and the connecting bridge where you can see MK, staying up to see the Electric Water Pageant, the cupcakes at the Contempo Cafe that are "the size of my head!" that is alllllll Disney magic as far as she's concerned. And with kids that are only 4 and 5, I suspect just being on an adventure and going to MK before going on a cruise is going to be magical as well.

21stamps

I definitely vote for an MK resort with a short stay at that time. I'd actually recommend Poly or GF though.. that way you can bounce between the two for food and to see the decorations..and it's usually very quick to get to/from MK by either the boat or monorail-
MK is Poly's first stop on the launch.
GF is first stop returning from MK.
The monorail from either is very fast, especially GF.

I did the walk from MK to CR last November, I didn't feel it was any faster than the launch to GF. Depending on wait times though obviously. Park closing is typically busier, but it's a pretty ride.

DisneyDaver

I agree with @DisneyDreamer08 Aside from the fact that I'm of an age where the Contemporary Resort defines "Disney" to me

The Contemporary defines WDW for me too. It was the first resort I stayed at as a kid and I loved everything about it ... the monorail station in the building, MK being the first stop on the monorail, and breakfast with the characters at the Terrace Buffeteria!

When I bring my daughter to WDW for the first time, I plan to stay there so she can have a similar experience (though Chef Mickey's instead of the Buffeteria). I love staying at the GF and Poly too, but they don't have the same childhood memories and meaning to me.

CosmicPrincess

I would recommend the Polynesian only because I think the hotel is nicer in general. It's a little quieter and the theming is a bit more fun. Also there's the Ohana breakfast! Chef Mickey's is great but Ohana's is awesome too! And they're both character breakfasts. You'll be able to meet the fab 5 at MK but where else are you gonna find Lilo? But that all depends on your kids' preferences, of course! And the monorail goes straight to the Poly as well!

correcaminos

I wouldn't bring kids that age to the Contemporary. If your budget allows it, I think the most "magical" resorts for kids that age are the Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, and Animal Kingdom Lodge in no particular order.
I disagree with this. My son was 3 when we were at BLT and we liked it well enough. That said I would pick the Polynesian over the Contemporary for one reason alone - the monorail situation. At BLT we had so many issues with the monorail being stuck for a while on the track or not even running at all. Getting to/from Epcot was an awful experience a couple times taking 45-60 minutes of travel time when it should not be that long. The monorails kept getting stuck. It was the worst.

Polynesian allows you to walk to the TTC which avoids the very touchy monorail loop. You can also take a boat from the dock or the TTC ferry to get to MK.

Unless you plan to do MK only, then I would suggest Contemporary. We prefer Polynesian to the Contemporary theme wise and the like but I would never say it isn't suitable for young children. In fact it's perfect if you are MK goers.

Now another lovely one at Christmas is VWL. Boat to MK and just the loveliest feel at Christmas time with the decorations.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm in agreement with @CaptainAmerica - Poly, WL and replace AKL with GF over the Contemporary. While the Contemporary has the convenience of walking, the GF is the last monorail stop before MK and both GF and WL are amazing at Christmas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom