FastPass question (Tokyo, HK, and Shanghai)

retroeric

Original Poster
Hello there, I will be in all three Asia Disney parks this summer (can't wait!).

Can someone give me some tips on which rides to get the FastPasses for FIRST thing in the morning? For Tokyo Disneyland I am assuming the most popular ride is Pooh's Hunny Hunt? But what would be the next most popular? Which has the longest line that I should consider Fast Passes for?

Same question for the other parks (Hong Kong and Shanghai).

Just trying to find the best strategy and be efficient with my use of FastPasses.

Thanks in advance for any help!

GiveMeTheMusic

Hello there, I will be in all three Asia Disney parks this summer (can't wait!).

Can someone give me some tips on which rides to get the FastPasses for FIRST thing in the morning? For Tokyo Disneyland I am assuming the most popular ride is Pooh's Hunny Hunt? But what would be the next most popular? Which has the longest line that I should consider Fast Passes for?

Same question for the other parks (Hong Kong and Shanghai).

Just trying to find the best strategy and be efficient with my use of FastPasses.

Thanks in advance for any help!

TDL: Monsters Inc, followed by Hunny Hunt
TDS: Tower of Terror, Journey to the Center of the Earth

SDL: Roaring Rapids, Soaring

HKDL FP is almost never needed. Seriously - it's only on Space, Iron Man and Pooh and you would rarely need it. Lines don't justify it.

retroeric

Original Poster
TDL: Monsters Inc, followed by Hunny Hunt
TDS: Tower of Terror, Journey to the Center of the Earth

SDL: Roaring Rapids, Soaring

HKDL FP is almost never needed. Seriously - it's only on Space, Iron Man and Pooh and you would rarely need it. Lines don't justify it.
Thank you! Wow didn't realize HK Disney was not that busy.

As for Shanghai, you think those two you picked are even more important to get than Pirates?

BrianLo

I've been a few times where Pooh actually has a reasonably long wait (like 45 minutes?) with FP readily available within a reasonable time frame.

I just scratch my head. In the 'olden' days you could easily secure 2-3 FP each throughout the day for both SM and Pooh. I just don't get why anyone would get in a standby line over 10 minutes for either.

FP: "taking advantage of other people's ineptitude." But actually, HK is pretty much the remaining golden goose that really isn't a FP park.

As for Shanghai, you think those two you picked are even more important to get than Pirates?

Pirates is super high capacity comparatively and can be counted on for stand by at nearly any point in the day. Those other two frequently hit 100+min standby. Tron likes to be 45-90 depending on the day. Pirates will be 10-45.

SDL people are quite privy to FP. Roaring, Soaring and Tron are the three most desirable. Reasonable amounts of time could be saved with Buzz/SDMT/Pan depending on crowd levels and time of day. Honestly, I'd suggest grabbing a FP for one of the three E's and rope dropping FL. It's nice having free reign of SDMT, Pan, Voyage and the castle walk through (which can actually command a sizeable wait and does not have FP). Most people will rope drop Adventureland or Tomorrowland (for good reason). I like to do what people don't do.

TDL definitely agree with Monsters. The usual suspects are all there too. If you can't get Hunny Hunt, you can often standby in 5-10 minutes in the late evening.
TDS priority is technically TSMM if you want to ride it. If you are content avoiding it you'll have a much more pleasant visit. JTTCOE, ToT, Indy in that order come next.

GiveMeTheMusic

Pirates does not offer FP, so it's a non-issue.

At HKDL, FP is useful for Pooh if you want to ride Pooh. But their Pooh ride is a clone of WDW's (SDL is the same as well) and it's a terrible ride, so.

I've found TRON FPs stick around almost all day at SDL. Rapids and Soaring run out first, but Soaring can be skipped if you've done it at WDW or DCA. SDMT and Pan are the next most popular in my experience. Buzz should rarely require an FP there.

retroeric

Original Poster
Pirates does not offer FP, so it's a non-issue.

At HKDL, FP is useful for Pooh if you want to ride Pooh. But their Pooh ride is a clone of WDW's (SDL is the same as well) and it's a terrible ride, so.

I've found TRON FPs stick around almost all day at SDL. Rapids and Soaring run out first, but Soaring can be skipped if you've done it at WDW or DCA. SDMT and Pan are the next most popular in my experience. Buzz should rarely require an FP there.

Thanks! As for HK, where does Mystic Manor fit into all this? I keep hearing it's one of the greatest dark rides in the world. FastPass not needed for that?

BrianLo

Sorry what does FL stand for? And which of the three E's would you recommend being the most important? If you had to guess. Thank you again!

Fantasyland. The three were Soaring, Roaring and Tron. The first two will go quicker as @GiveMeTheMusic alluded.

Thanks! As for HK, where does Mystic Manor fit into all this? I keep hearing it's one of the greatest dark rides in the world. FastPass not needed for that?

There is no FP for Mystic Manor. Literally just three attractions have FP there. So just go with the flow in Hong Kong. If you are there for half a day you might need to hustle, but I assume you are there for more than a day? In that case don't worry about anything.

retroeric

Original Poster
Fantasyland. The three were Soaring, Roaring and Tron. The first two will go quicker as @GiveMeTheMusic alluded.

There is no FP for Mystic Manor. Literally just three attractions have FP there. So just go with the flow in Hong Kong. If you are there for half a day you might need to hustle, but I assume you are there for more than a day? In that case don't worry about anything.
Thanks. One more question, how many FPs can you reserve at at one time? This question for all three Asia parks. :)

DDLand

Thanks. One more question, how many FPs can you reserve at at one time? This question for all three Asia parks. :)
I can jump in and answer this one...

The FastPass systems are either identical or comparable to Walt Disney World's old and Disneyland's current FastPass system. For each of the Resorts in question, you can have only one FastPass. Upon reaching the return time on your FP, you will be able to pick up another one.

For example, if you were to pick up a FP at 9:00 AM with a return from 11:00 to 12:00, you would not be able to reserve another FastPass until 11:00.

This holds true at almost all Resorts. Walt Disney World is the strange exception with its 3 reservations. Shanghai also offers an option to buy FastPasses to most major attractions, but honestly it's not worth it.

I hope this answers your question and that you have a fantastic trip! These parks are a true joy!

retroeric

Original Poster
I can jump in and answer this one...

The FastPass systems are either identical or comparable to Walt Disney World's old and Disneyland's current FastPass system. For each of the Resorts in question, you can have only one FastPass. Upon reaching the return time on your FP, you will be able to pick up another one.

For example, if you were to pick up a FP at 9:00 AM with a return from 11:00 to 12:00, you would not be able to reserve another FastPass until 11:00.

This holds true at almost all Resorts. Walt Disney World is the strange exception with its 3 reservations. Shanghai also offers an option to buy FastPasses to most major attractions, but honestly it's not worth it.

I hope this answers your question and that you have a fantastic trip! These parks are a true joy!
Thanks for this tidbit. I was unaware we (WDW) were the only ones to have that special FP system.

GiveMeTheMusic

Thanks for this tidbit. I was unaware we (WDW) were the only ones to have that special FP system.

Each of the Asian resorts have very detailed and handy official English websites. I'd recommend familiarizing yourself with them. DisneyTouristBlog.com and TDRExplorer.com are the most important planning resources you'll find, so I'd recommend going to each site and checking out their planning guides for very detailed info on each of the resorts.

retroeric

Original Poster
Each of the Asian resorts have very detailed and handy official English websites. I'd recommend familiarizing yourself with them. DisneyTouristBlog.com and TDRExplorer.com are the most important planning resources you'll find, so I'd recommend going to each site and checking out their planning guides for very detailed info on each of the resorts.
I will do that! One last question, in your opinion (and any others in this thread), what are the can't miss shows/parades/night time shows, for each of the three parks?

GiveMeTheMusic

I will do that! One last question, in your opinion (and any others in this thread), what are the can't miss shows/parades/night time shows, for each of the three parks?

TDL - Dreamlights, Happiness is Here, event parade if one is running during your visit

TDS - Big Band Beat, event harbor show if one is running during your visit

SDL - Pirate stunt show, Tarzan show

HKDL - Mickey and the Wondrous Book, Paint the Night

I don't find Fantasmic (TDS), Ignite the Dream (SDL) or Disney in the Stars (HKDL) to be unmissable, although Fantasmic is worth seeing.

I am not so familiar with the two parks in Tokyo so I can't give you any advice about them.

For Shanghai, IMO their day parade sucks. The floats are not at all visually appealing. (no offence) Skip it and go for the rides instead.

For Hong Kong,
- Flights of Fantasy Parade: I like it a lot, but the climate of HK is intolerable (hot AND humid) and you will not want to stay in the outdoor areas for that long. I will advise watching the parade at a spot near the Storybook Theater in Fantasyland. That's where the floats come out from the backstage area. So you can watch all the floats with the minimum amount of time. (and less time means less suffer)
- Paint the Night Parade: you can skip it if you have watched Anaheim's version coz Anaheim's longer and better
- Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple: SKIP IT
- Mickey and the Wondrous Book: UNMISSABLE but the shows do fill up so you have to arrive early. How early depends on how crowded the Park is on that day. They allow queuing 45 mins prior to showtime. Arrive 45 mins before the show starts if you want a clearer and better view. Arrive 30 mins before the show starts if what you want to secure is just a seat. You can also try walk in for the LAST show of the day if you don't want to wait. Sometimes the crowd has already moved to the Main Street for the two nighttime spectaculars (PTN and fireworks) but this doesn't always work. Some luck is needed. Plus, if you are really going for the last show then you have to be prepared that the performers are already very tired and they might sing a bit worse than they normally do.
- Festival of the Lion King: unmissable (not CAPS because it is less worth-seeing than MWB). IMO HK's version is a lot better than DAK's. The theater of LK is a lot bigger than MWB so you don't have to arrive that early. Plus it has been operating since the Park's opening in 2005. Sometimes you can even walk in.
- Disney in the Stars: I personally like it a lot. But I think the US Parks have fireworks spectacular a lot greater than this one so you may not be pleased.

PS. forgive me if I have made any grammar mistakes. I am not a native English speaker. :((

Daveeeeed

I am not so familiar with the two parks in Tokyo so I can't give you any advice about them.

For Shanghai, IMO their day parade sucks. The floats are not at all visually appealing. (no offence) Skip it and go for the rides instead.

For Hong Kong,
- Flights of Fantasy Parade: I like it a lot, but the climate of HK is intolerable (hot AND humid) and you will not want to stay in the outdoor areas for that long. I will advise watching the parade at a spot near the Storybook Theater in Fantasyland. That's where the floats come out from the backstage area. So you can watch all the floats with the minimum amount of time. (and less time means less suffer)
- Paint the Night Parade: you can skip it if you have watched Anaheim's version coz Anaheim's longer and better
- Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple: SKIP IT
- Mickey and the Wondrous Book: UNMISSABLE but the shows do fill up so you have to arrive early. How early depends on how crowded the Park is on that day. They allow queuing 45 mins prior to showtime. Arrive 45 mins before the show starts if you want a clearer and better view. Arrive 30 mins before the show starts if what you want to secure is just a seat. You can also try walk in for the LAST show of the day if you don't want to wait. Sometimes the crowd has already moved to the Main Street for the two nighttime spectaculars (PTN and fireworks) but this doesn't always work. Some luck is needed. Plus, if you are really going for the last show then you have to be prepared that the performers are already very tired and they might sing a bit worse than they normally do.
- Festival of the Lion King: unmissable (not CAPS because it is less worth-seeing than MWB). IMO HK's version is a lot better than DAK's. The theater of LK is a lot bigger than MWB so you don't have to arrive that early. Plus it has been operating since the Park's opening in 2005. Sometimes you can even walk in.
- Disney in the Stars: I personally like it a lot. But I think the US Parks have fireworks spectacular a lot greater than this one so you may not be pleased.

PS. forgive me if I have made any grammar mistakes. I am not a native English speaker. :((
If one was to go to Hong Kong for 3 days what would be good to sightsee in Hong Kong for he third day? Thanks!

If one was to go to Hong Kong for 3 days what would be good to sightsee in Hong Kong for he third day? Thanks!
Oh hi! Welcome to Hong Kong! Here's some possible options for you:

1. Tour in Central and the Peak

What to do there
- Central is the business district of Hong Kong, definitely the right place for you to feel the hustle and bustle of our city.
- Hong Kong Park (香港公園), a park located in the centre of Hong Kong. Imagine how interesting it is to see lots of trees and lots of high-rise buildings at the same time. There's a greenhouse and an aviary. Most importantly, it's totally FREE OF CHARGE.
- Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens (香港動植物公園), proximal to the Hong Kong Park (within walking distance, but you may need some guidance from locals). Do it if you have lots of time. Skippable because not much animals there.
- Victoria Peak (太平山頂), where you can see (almost) the whole Hong Kong and appreciate the spectacular skyline of the city. Get there by using the Peak Tram (山頂纜車). The tram station is SO close to the HK Park. Make sure you stay till dusk. The night view is breath-taking.

How to get there by MTR (HK's subway)
- Disneyland Resort --[Disneyland Resort Line]--> Sunny Bay (change train) --[Tung Chung line]--> Hong Kong --[walk]--> Central (exit for Central) --[Island line]--> Admiralty (exit for Hong Kong Park, Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens and the Peak)

2. Tour in Lantau Island

What to do there
- If you love the nature and want to understand the HK culture more, then maybe the Lantau suits you more. You can go to Tung Chung (東涌) via MTR and take the cable car there to Ngong Ping (昂坪). It's where the Big Buddha (天壇大佛) is located. After touring the Buddha, you can go to Tai O (大澳). It's a fishing village and you can see some houses built right over the waterway.

How to get there by MTR
- Disneyland Resort --[Disneyland Resort Line]--> Sunny Bay (change train) --[Tung Chung line]--> Tung Chung (exit for the cable car)
- I don't know how to go to Tai O by public transportation because when I went there, my uncle drove me there. (sorry) So maybe you can take a taxi. (if you aren't on a shoestring budget)

3. Visiting Ocean Park

What to do there
- If you love theme parks then you can go to Ocean Park (海洋公園). It is one of the two big theme parks in Hong Kong (the other one is of course HKDL). It has lots of thrill rides and also some animal exhibits.

How to get there by MTR
- Disneyland Resort --[Disneyland Resort Line]--> Sunny Bay (change train) --[Tung Chung line]--> Hong Kong --[walk]--> Central (exit for Central) --[Island line]--> Admiralty --[South Island Line]--> Ocean Park (exit for the Park!)

4. Kowloon

What to do there
- Temple Street (廟街). Street food and cheap souvenirs. Located in Yau Ma Tei (油麻地)
- Hong Kong Museum of History (香港歷史博物館). Where you can see exhibits introducing the history of Hong Kong. Located in Tsim Sha Tsui (尖沙嘴).
- Hong Kong Science Museum (香港科學館). The science exhibit there is a bit outdated. BUT they are currently having an exhibit about pyramids and mummies. Worth seeing. Located in Tsim Sha Tsui, RIGHT NEXT TO the Museum of History.
- Hong Kong Cultural Centre (香港文化中心). Also in Tsim Sha Tsui. NOT asking you to get in there. Just staying outside. There's a walkway along the Harbour. A perfect spot to look at the skylines and also the night view of the harbour.
- Mong Kok (旺角). Plenty of street markets there. Again the palce for cheap souvenirs.

How to get there by MTR
- Disneyland Resort --[Disneyland Resort Line]--> Sunny Bay (change train) --[Tung Chung line]--> Hong Kong --[walk]--> Central (exit for Central) --[Island line]--> Admiralty --[Tsuen Wan line]--> Tsim Sha Tsui/Mong Kok/Yau Ma Tei

Others (maybe?)
- go hiking LOL (yup I am serious, there are plenty of country parks in Hong Kong)
- hit both Central and Kowloon (go to Central first, then use the Star Ferry to get to the other side of the harbour [which is Kowloon])

PS I am adding Chinese characters here so you can show it to your taxi driver if he/she is not a fluent English speaker.
PPS Feel free to ask me more :)

Last edited:

Oh hi! Welcome to Hong Kong! Here's some possible options for you:

1. Tour in Central and the Peak

What to do there
- Central is the business district of Hong Kong, definitely the right place for you to feel the hustle and bustle of our city.
- Hong Kong Park (香港公園), a park located in the centre of Hong Kong. Imagine how interesting it is to see lots of trees and lots of high-rise buildings at the same time. There's a greenhouse and an aviary. Most importantly, it's totally FREE OF CHARGE.
- Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens (香港動植物公園), proximal to the Hong Kong Park (within walking distance, but you may need some guidance from locals). Do it if you have lots of time. Skippable because not much animals there.
- Victoria Peak (太平山頂), where you can see (almost) the whole Hong Kong and appreciate the spectacular skyline of the city. Get there by using the Peak Tram (山頂纜車). The tram station is SO close to the HK Park. Make sure you stay till dusk. The night view is breath-taking.

How to get there by MTR (HK's subway)
- Disneyland Resort --[Disneyland Resort Line]--> Sunny Bay (change train) --[Tung Chung line]--> Hong Kong --[walk]--> Central (exit for Central) --[Island line]--> Admiralty (exit for Hong Kong Park, Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens and the Peak)

2. Tour in Lantau Island

What to do there
- If you love the nature and want to understand the HK culture more, then maybe the Lantau suits you more. You can go to Tung Chung (東涌) via MTR and take the cable car there to Ngong Ping (昂坪). It's where the Big Buddha (天壇大佛) is located. After touring the Buddha, you can go to Tai O (大澳). It's a fishing village and you can see some houses built right over the waterway.

How to get there by MTR
- Disneyland Resort --[Disneyland Resort Line]--> Sunny Bay (change train) --[Tung Chung line]--> Tung Chung (exit for the cable car)
- I don't know how to go to Tai O by public transportation because when I went there, my uncle drove me there. (sorry) So maybe you can take a taxi. (if you aren't on a shoestring budget)

3. Visiting Ocean Park

What to do there
- If you love theme parks then you can go to Ocean Park (海洋公園). It is one of the two big theme parks in Hong Kong (the other one is of course HKDL). It has lots of thrill rides and also some animal exhibits.

How to get there by MTR
- Disneyland Resort --[Disneyland Resort Line]--> Sunny Bay (change train) --[Tung Chung line]--> Hong Kong --[walk]--> Central (exit for Central) --[Island line]--> Admiralty --[South Island Line]--> Ocean Park (exit for the Park!)

4. Kowloon

What to do there
- Temple Street (廟街). Street food and cheap souvenirs. Located in Yau Ma Tei (油麻地)
- Hong Kong Museum of History (香港歷史博物館). Where you can see exhibits introducing the history of Hong Kong. Located in Tsim Sha Tsui (尖沙嘴).
- Hong Kong Science Museum (香港科學館). The science exhibit there is a bit outdated. BUT they are currently having an exhibit about pyramids and mummies. Worth seeing. Located in Tsim Sha Tsui, RIGHT NEXT TO the Museum of History.
- Hong Kong Cultural Centre (香港文化中心). Also in Tsim Sha Tsui. NOT asking you to get in there. Just staying outside. There's a walkway along the Harbour. A perfect spot to look at the skylines and also the night view of the harbour.
- Mong Kok (旺角). Plenty of street markets there. Again the palce for cheap souvenirs.

How to get there by MTR
- Disneyland Resort --[Disneyland Resort Line]--> Sunny Bay (change train) --[Tung Chung line]--> Hong Kong --[walk]--> Central (exit for Central) --[Island line]--> Admiralty --[Tsuen Wan line]--> Tsim Sha Tsui/Mong Kok/Yau Ma Tei

Others (maybe?)
- go hiking LOL (yup I am serious, there are plenty of country parks in Hong Kong)
- hit both Central and Kowloon (go to Central first, then use the Star Ferry to get to the other side of the harbour [which is Kowloon])

PS I am adding Chinese characters here so you can show it to your taxi driver if he/she is not a fluent English speaker.
PPS Feel free to ask me more :)
AND one more thing
please do NOT speak mandarin to Hongkongers
we hate it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom