50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

Longhairbear

Yeah, your mom's comment is one that was heard a lot in the 80s and 90s ... And Disney Parks and booze, where to even begin? You can't walk 20 feet without walking into an ODV cart or pop-up bar now. Disney's big push going forward is interactive bars like Trader Sam's where you can sell geeks weak drinks and then get them to add hundreds of dollars on 'collector's' mugs. There are multiple in the pipeline for both WDW and DLR right now.
Yikes, and I'm curious because we do tend to spend our late evenings at Trader Sam's at DLR. We've even become regulars of sorts to the bartenders. I'm assuming that DLR will get other bars in the same vein, with different themes, such as Indy, or Star Wars.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Even if it wasn't meant to be a "rides park" the non ride components haven't been updated in 20 years.

Well... yes and no.

I'm totally in agreement that Ariel's and Belle's shows are past their expiration date. They added lasers to Ariel, but I have a whole separate rant on how awful most laser FX are. Belle they are unfortunately not going to touch for a while due to a billion dollar movie out right now. But that whole stage being open air sucks and makes a musical show underwhelming in the sound department.

And Indy is old and could have been updated long ago... until LucasFilm was bought and a new IJ movie is on the way.

But, the Jedi Academy was updated to a much better show. Millionaire got replaced by an excellent ride. American Idol got replaced by the much better Frozen sing-along/comedy show.

While not show stoppers, Launch Bay, the show of force, and the fashion show, are all new non-rides. Plus, the Pixar music concert is on the way. And then there's a whole new night time show of SW Fireworks.

If it was up to me, I'd close Ariel and revamp the theater for a better Belle experience. Then revamp the open air stage for a closed one and put one of Disney's other musical shorts there: Anaheim's Aladdin or cruise ships' Tangled.

And while I love Club Villain, the Sunset Showcase is way too underutilized. It needs a permanent show.

RSoxNo1

Well... yes and no.

I'm totally in agreement that Ariel's and Belle's shows are past their expiration date. They added lasers to Ariel, but I have a whole separate rant on how awful most laser FX are. Belle they are unfortunately not going to touch for a while due to a billion dollar movie out right now. But that whole stage being open air sucks and makes a musical show underwhelming in the sound department.

And Indy is old and could have been updated long ago... until LucasFilm was bought and a new IJ movie is on the way.

But, the Jedi Academy was updated to a much better show. Millionaire got replaced by an excellent ride. American Idol got replaced by the much better Frozen sing-along/comedy show.

While not show stoppers, Launch Bay, the show of force, and the fashion show, are all new non-rides. Plus, the Pixar music concert is on the way. And then there's a whole new night time show of SW Fireworks.

If it was up to me, I'd close Ariel and revamp the theater for a better Belle experience. Then revamp the open air stage for a closed one and put one of Disney's other musical shorts there: Anaheim's Aladdin or cruise ships' Tangled.

And while I love Club Villain, the Sunset Showcase is way too underutilized. It needs a permanent show.
In general, Hollywood Studios is a stale park that currently can be "completed" in 5 hours or less. There are significant steps being taken over the next few years to address that.

Epcot is dangerously close to falling into the same state.

A risk/mistake that Disney often makes though is that they identify a problem like staleness and think the cause is that people don't want nostalgia. That is absolutely incorrect. Nostalgia is why the Magic Kingdom is as successful as it is. What needs to happen is a healthy blend of nostalgia mixed with modern enhancements and updates. Like so many things in theme parks and in the world, these aren't either/or options.

It's why a brand new innovative Mickey Ride is great for DHS, but it's also why building this at the cost of The Great Movie Ride is rubbing many people the wrong way. What should happen is The Great Movie Ride should receive a true update and The Mickey Ride should be a new build.

wdwfan4ver

The thing is Launch Bay needs to be gone once Star Wars Land Opens or DHS becomes a themed mess. I call it a themed mess because Star Wars Land isn't located anywhere near Star Wars Launch Bay.

Star Wars Launch Bay was only put there till Stars Wars Land is completed. Star Wars Launch Bay is where the Mickey Ride should've been.

brb1006

Well... yes and no.

If they ever get ride of the Beauty and the Beast show at HS. They need to make a permanent show building that isn't open air.

Haymarket2008

In general, Hollywood Studios is a stale park that currently can be "completed" in 5 hours or less. There are significant steps being taken over the next few years to address that.

Epcot is dangerously close to falling into the same state.

A risk/mistake that Disney often makes though is that they identify a problem like staleness and think the cause is that people don't want nostalgia. That is absolutely incorrect. Nostalgia is why the Magic Kingdom is as successful as it is. What needs to happen is a healthy blend of nostalgia mixed with modern enhancements and updates. Like so many things in theme parks and in the world, these aren't either/or options.

It's why a brand new innovative Mickey Ride is great for DHS, but it's also why building this at the cost of The Great Movie Ride is rubbing many people the wrong way. What should happen is The Great Movie Ride should receive a true update and The Mickey Ride should be a new build.

You are exactly right. Something that the creatives in charge of Epcot should take to heart. Expand, update all they want.....but there is a tried and true element of nostalgia for that park. Capitalize on it instead of following the impulse of a knee jerk reaction a la Frozen/Guardians.

Stevek

Yikes, and I'm curious because we do tend to spend our late evenings at Trader Sam's at DLR. We've even become regulars of sorts to the bartenders. I'm assuming that DLR will get other bars in the same vein, with different themes, such as Indy, or Star Wars.
Don't worry, I'm a DLR Trader Sam's geek as well...and I collect their mug's as well as those from WDW. I can live with that label since we pretty much label everyone anymore.

Goob

Lump me into the Trader Sam's Grogg Grotto fan club too. The first time we went, we couldn't find it. It's intentionally hidden and I like it that way. It feels classic Disney to me. Lots of detailed stuff in there to hunt for and find. The food is great too. Big fan.

I've never been to Trader Sam's in Disneyland though.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I mean, it's not sad for the consumer... I'm pretty happy with the fact that I'm getting more Christmas offerings this year at UOR.

This makes me sad as a WDW fan, The park which used to set the standard is now being run with a 'going out of business' vibe while the number 2 has picked up WDW's discarded playbook and is running (and succeeding) with it. As a UOR passholder I think it's awesome.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ironic, considering said resort ran a Christmas show in the Springs. Which was actually for everyone and not those with ticket media.

But agenda's and all that.

That was a pretty pathetic offering compared to Universal where the entertainment includes Mannheim Steamroller 4-8 weekends per year, The MOST popular holiday music PERIOD and there is no upcharge to see Mannheim Steamroller (but if you see them outside of UOR be prepared to pay 100 or more per ticket)

BrianLo

That was a pretty pathetic offering compared to Universal where the entertainment includes Mannheim Steamroller 4-8 weekends per year, The MOST popular holiday music PERIOD and there is no upcharge to see Mannheim Steamroller (but if you see them outside of UOR be prepared to pay 100 or more per ticket)

If I'm being honest I don't think either resort does that great of a job with Christmas. WDW is too scared of the Christmas overlays because they can't take a ride offline for a week. Universal focuses on Halloween instead.

Both pale in comparison to the job Disneyland Resort does. Which actually surprises me in the way the holiday infuses things that I didn't even know about ahead of time. All the way down to things like Mater's, Luigi's or the Buena Vista street news boys.

Which, tying back to third thread is certainly something they could do for the 50th to hit 50 new things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom