Access to Animal Kingdom Lodge Pools

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
Do the pools at Animal Kingdom Lodge require an associated resort room key to enter like, say, the pools at Art of Animation? We have dinner reservations at Boma the night we arrive (though we are staying at ASMu) and my son would probably get a kick out of being able to jump in the pool there afterward.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Do the pools at Animal Kingdom Lodge require an associated resort room key to enter like, say, the pools at Art of Animation? We have dinner reservations at Boma the night we arrive (though we are staying at ASMu) and my son would probably get a kick out of being able to jump in the pool there afterward.
Guess my first question is why do you think you should be able to use the pool at a resort you're not paying to stay at? Just because you're buying dinner at Boma doesn't mean you should automatically get to use any resort facility like a guest. Just a pet peeve of mine.

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
You cannot use the pools at another resort other than your own. Even if they don't have the gate yet it is not allowed. This is why they have had to add the gates with magic band for entrance. ;)
Thanks for the response. I knew they had added it to AoA but wasn't sure if it was a general resort thing or not.

Guess my first question is why do you think you should be able to use the pool at a resort you're not paying to stay at? Just because you're buying dinner at Boma doesn't mean you should automatically get to use any resort facility like a guest. Just a pet peeve of mine.
I've been visiting since 1983 and have stayed at the vast majority of resorts on property. On every visit, without exception, I've always met folks at the pool area that were visiting from other resorts. This was especially true at the All Star Resorts and the resorts along the monorail line. A couple years ago, while at the Wilderness Lodge, I sat speaking to a couple who were there from the Contemporary and had hopped the boat to swim there ahead of their dining reservation. It wasn't that I "think I should be able to use the pool at a resort I'm not paying to stay at." Instead, I didn't look at it any differently than say, heading over to another resort to take a carriage ride, or use their boats, or rent a surrey bike. Those all cost money though so maybe they are bad examples... There are free things to do at each resort that you are welcome to come and participate in. Campfires are one that come to mind. Movies Under the Stars is another. Either way, there are quite a few across property. As such, it wasn't something I realized would be met with any problem. Resort pools are one thing on a very short list of activities that my autistic son tends to find comfort in so it was just a quick thought as something to do that night. I sincerely apologize for raising your dander on the subject or implying that this poor little value resort girl somehow had a right to deluxe accommodations. Not at all what was intended.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Thanks for the response. I knew they had added it to AoA but wasn't sure if it was a general resort thing or not.

I've been visiting since 1983 and have stayed at the vast majority of resorts on property. On every visit, without exception, I've always met folks at the pool area that were visiting from other resorts. This was especially true at the All Star Resorts and the resorts along the monorail line. A couple years ago, while at the Wilderness Lodge, I sat speaking to a couple who were there from the Contemporary and had hopped the boat to swim there ahead of their dining reservation. It wasn't that I "think I should be able to use the pool at a resort I'm not paying to stay at." Instead, I didn't look at it any differently than say, heading over to another resort to take a carriage ride, or use their boats, or rent a surrey bike. Those all cost money though so maybe they are bad examples... There are free things to do at each resort that you are welcome to come and participate in. Campfires are one that come to mind. Movies Under the Stars is another. Either way, there are quite a few across property. As such, it wasn't something I realized would be met with any problem. Resort pools are one thing on a very short list of activities that my autistic son tends to find comfort in so it was just a quick thought as something to do that night. I sincerely apologize for raising your dander on the subject or implying that this poor little value resort girl somehow had a right to deluxe accommodations. Not at all what was intended.
Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine. No insult intended whatsoever for anyone staying value - and you were the one that mentioned that - not me. I don't care if you're staying at the Poly, I just don't think it's right. Oh, and just because you've met people that do it, still doesn't make it right.

Using a paid service like a surrey bike or carriage ride is just fine. No different than eating at a resort restaurant.

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine. No insult intended whatsoever for anyone staying value - and you were the one that mentioned that - not me. I don't care if you're staying at the Poly, I just don't think it's right. Oh, and just because you've met people that do it, still doesn't make it right.

Using a paid service like a surrey bike or carriage ride is just fine. No different than eating at a resort restaurant.
Trust me I totally understand. I do. And I appreciate you took the time to reply. That said, however, I've got to assume that with things like the campfires, movies and myriad of other things that are free for outside guests to join, you'd understand how a person wouldn't necessarily know that the pools aren't ok too. Your post just felt like I should "know better" is all.

And yes, I mentioned where I was staying in my original post. I just came back to it because your comment was asking what made me think I had a right to use something at a resort I didn't pay to stay at so it was important to come full circle to the fact that you're right, I didn't pay for it. It hadn't even dawned on me that wasn't just part of being a resort guest in general but, hey, now I know!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

The policy is stated on signs at each pool, like this one.

DSC07138a.jpg

There are limited exceptions in that you may pool hop amongst All - Star Resort pools and Port Orleans pools if you are staying in one of those resorts.
asm_14.jpg

In addition, I believe DVC members get special pool hopping privileges, although I'm not sure what they are.

Disney doesn't mind if you resort hop to eat, shop, look around, sit in the lobby, hunt for pokemons, etc. But they don't let you do it to use pools (or fitness centers, for that matter) at other resorts. As you note, it happens anyways, but it isn't supposed to.

As I understand it, the room key requirement to get into the pools was meant to help enforce this policy and increase safety a bit, as it reduces the chances of a kid or drunk person falling in. This also allows Disney to effectively close the pools when lifeguards aren't present, which seems, sadly, to have resulted in shorter hours at many pools, but that's neither here nor there.

Now I hope you'll permit me a mildly humorous story that could be relevant here, depending upon whether your son's autism manifests the same way my son's (very mild, I should add) does. One of his quirks is that he never ever ever wants to knowingly break a rule. He had a minor panic attack one time when we walked around the pool area at Wilderness Lodge before dinner one night (with no swimsuits on or any intention of going in) when he saw the sign that said not just the "pool" is restricted to guests, but the "pool area". We exited quickly.

If your son wants to enjoy the AKL pool on this trip, I'd inquire at the desk of the resort you are staying at to see if something can be arranged. It isn't beyond hotel CMs to try to make a little extra magic.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Trust me I totally understand. I do. And I appreciate you took the time to reply. That said, however, I've got to assume that with things like the campfires, movies and myriad of other things that are free for outside guests to join, you'd understand how a person wouldn't necessarily know that the pools aren't ok too. Your post just felt like I should "know better" is all.

And yes, I mentioned where I was staying in my original post. I just came back to it because your comment was asking what made me think I had a right to use something at a resort I didn't pay to stay at so it was important to come full circle to the fact that you're right, I didn't pay for it. It hadn't even dawned on me that wasn't just part of being a resort guest in general but, hey, now I know!
Well, as I said, to me it does not matter what resort you are staying at. Even someone staying at the Poly, which is even more expensive than AKL, still should not be able to use the pool there.

And the outdoor movies - those are available at almost every Disney resort, including AoA and the All Stars resorts. The campfires are at every moderate and deluxe resort. If you are staying at one of those, and you wanted to experience the campfire, but the CM said it was already full, would you be OK with the fact that several people were there that were not staying at that resort? What about people staying off-site? Should they be able to experience the campfires/movies/pools as well? Where do you draw the line?

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
Now I hope you'll permit me a mildly humorous story that could be relevant here, depending upon whether your son's autism manifests the same way my son's (very mild, I should add) does. One of his quirks is that he never ever ever wants to knowingly break a rule. He had a minor panic attack one time when we walked around the pool area at Wilderness Lodge (with no swimsuits on or any intention of going in) when he saw the sign that said not just the "pool" is restricted to guests, but the "pool area". We exited quickly.

If your son wants to enjoy the AKL pool on this trip, I'd inquire at the desk of the resort you are staying at to see if something can be arranged. It isn't beyond hotel CMs to try to make a little extra magic.
Thank you so much for this reply. It helped tremendously to understand the policies in place! And the irony is... my son sounds similar to yours in that he does not like breaking the rules. He in fact gets very angry when he sees other people breaking rules and often feels compelled to do something about it (which we have to obviously prevent).

Also thank you very much for the suggestion about talking to the folks at AKL when we arrive. You are very right in that they love finding ways to make a little magic for folks and maybe they'd allow it if I worked it out ahead of time (rather than finding my way in otherwise).

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Now I hope you'll permit me a mildly humorous story that could be relevant here, depending upon whether your son's autism manifests the same way my son's (very mild, I should add) does. One of his quirks is that he never ever ever wants to knowingly break a rule. He had a minor panic attack one time when we walked around the pool area at Wilderness Lodge before dinner one night (with no swimsuits on or any intention of going in) when he saw the sign that said not just the "pool" is restricted to guests, but the "pool area". We exited quickly.

Heck, one of our adult quirks is that we don't want to ever knowingly break the rules. Now I will agree that if they go to the front desk to discuss it, and the CMs make a special allowance for it - then sure - go for it.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Thank you so much for this reply. It helped tremendously to understand the policies in place! And the irony is... my son sounds similar to yours in that he does not like breaking the rules. He in fact gets very angry when he sees other people breaking rules and often feels compelled to do something about it (which we have to obviously prevent).

Also thank you very much for the suggestion about talking to the folks at AKL when we arrive. You are very right in that they love finding ways to make a little magic for folks and maybe they'd allow it if I worked it out ahead of time (rather than finding my way in otherwise).
Great minds and all. I completely agree - and am perfectly fine with - talking with the CMs at AKL to see if they can work something out. I would have zero problems with that, and a little magic does go a long way with kids!

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
And the outdoor movies - those are available at almost every Disney resort, including AoA and the All Stars resorts. The campfires are at every moderate and deluxe resort. If you are staying at one of those, and you wanted to experience the campfire, but the CM said it was already full, would you be OK with the fact that several people were there that were not staying at that resort? What about people staying off-site? Should they be able to experience the campfires/movies/pools as well? Where do you draw the line?
See that's the thing... even on their site Disney makes it very clear things like the Campfires, though only at a moderate or deluxe, are available to all guests. To quote the site regarding campfires and movies: "All Guests are welcome, and all activities are complimentary and held on select nights as weather permits." That sure implies to me that it doesn't matter if you are staying offsite, go ahead and join the fun.

jaklgreen

I believe that every resort pool sign says it if for the use of those staying at that resort only. Right after to call 911 in an emergency. I have never seen any cast member go around asking if you are staying at that particular resort, they just kind of let that go. Except at the Yacht/Beach club. I think that people have the mentality that it is all "Disney" so it should be OK. But would you do that to any of the off site hotels? Would you go swim at the JW Marriott pool if you are staying at the Courtyard, even though they are both owned by Marriott? With the campfires and movies, Disney does say anyone is welcome but the pools state that they are only for those staying at that resort. To answer your question, as of yet the pool does not require a magic band to enter. This is an example of the pool signs.
DSC07138a.jpg

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
See that's the thing... even on their site Disney makes it very clear things like the Campfires, though only at a moderate or deluxe, are available to all guests. To quote the site regarding campfires and movies: "All Guests are welcome, and all activities are complimentary and held on select nights as weather permits." That sure implies to me that it doesn't matter if you are staying offsite, go ahead and join the fun.
The thing is - when they say all guests, you are looking at the resort specific web page. It means all guests at that resort. Not everyone.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Incorrect - it is on the campfire page - not a specific resort.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/campfires/
And right after that:

Come for the Campfire – Stay for a Movie!
Cozy up for complimentary outdoor screenings of popular Disney films immediately following your campfire. No matter which Disney Resort hotel you choose, don’t miss your chance to enjoy Movies Under the Stars throughout your stay!

All Guests are welcome, and all activities are complimentary and held on select nights as weather permits. Entertainment is subject to cancellation or change at any time without notice. Activity and entertainment offerings vary by location.

For more information, please check the Recreation Calendar of the particular location you plan to visit or consult Guest Services at your Resort hotel.

When they mention "consulting guest services at your resort hotel", that doesn't mean people not staying there.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The thing is - when they say all guests, you are looking at the resort specific web page. It means all guests at that resort. Not everyone.
Although Disney sites do not discuss this, sites like touringplans specifically say that even off-site guests to can hit up the campfires and outdoor movies.

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
And right after that:

Come for the Campfire – Stay for a Movie!
Cozy up for complimentary outdoor screenings of popular Disney films immediately following your campfire. No matter which Disney Resort hotel you choose, don’t miss your chance to enjoy Movies Under the Stars throughout your stay!

All Guests are welcome, and all activities are complimentary and held on select nights as weather permits. Entertainment is subject to cancellation or change at any time without notice. Activity and entertainment offerings vary by location.

For more information, please check the Recreation Calendar of the particular location you plan to visit or consult Guest Services at your Resort hotel.

When they mention "consulting guest services at your resort hotel", that doesn't mean people not staying there.
I'd say they mention to consult the folks at your hotel because any guest services, at any hotel, can give you any information about anything happening anywhere on property. It's a page not dedicated to any resort and it says "all guests are welcome." I read that as all guests. Not all guests staying at the resort of the campfire. They sure are setting themselves up by saying that if that isn't what they mean.

All that said... going forward, if I have a question or concern about activities that I can participate in, I will speak to a cast member to be 100% sure. Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom