DLR first visit from the eyes of a WDW veteran

BrianV

Original Poster
In California, they had to get guests underground to walk under the railroad tracks into the show building on the other side. That's also why Pirates has its drops. In Florida they didn't need to worry about that, so in Florida the ceiling is rising but you don't actually move. In this POV of the WDW mansion (around 1:30), you can see the room already starting to stretch before the doors are fully closed, betraying the illusion.

Cool. Thanks. Never knew it wasn't an elevator.

BrianV

Original Poster
By the way, these make me so happy. Got them on mainstreet. Only wish I'd bought more...What was in thinking with only one plate? ;) I'm sure its all the same everywhere but there seemed to be a better variety of stuff for sale at DLR. Maybe just my imagination.
IMG_20170406_153858000.jpg

Curious Constance

By the way, these make me so happy. Got them on mainstreet. Only wish I'd bought more...What was in thinking with only one plate? ;) I'm sure its all the same everywhere but there seemed to be a better variety of stuff for sale at DLR. Maybe just my imagination. View attachment 199104
If you download the Shop Disney Parks app, you can find this kind of stuff there that they will ship to you. :)

Figments Friend

Yep.
Your wallet is definitely going to be getting some opening.

I can relate....

A friend 'introduced' me recently to the Shop Disney Parks app as well.
I used to get the Theme Park Merchandise Mail Order catalogs from WDW in the 80s and 90s, but the service just seemed to disappear.
The Disney Store 'Parks' merch section on the main website was always a bit too bland for my tastes, so a friend showed me another option....
'The app...'

Whoa.
Big difference!
It was like being reunited with the ol' WDW Mail Order service from the days of yore!
But better - they offered Disneyland stuff as well.
Woo hoo!

The best part..?
I can buy WDW related items through the app with my DLR AP discount.
Never knew I could do that...elsewhere....outside of Disneyland's gates!
:)

-

Last edited:

dweezil78

By the way, these make me so happy. Got them on mainstreet. Only wish I'd bought more...What was in thinking with only one plate? ;) I'm sure its all the same everywhere but there seemed to be a better variety of stuff for sale at DLR. Maybe just my imagination. View attachment 199104

The funny thing is, that cup is actually for the WDW version of Tiki Room! The name "Tropical Serenade" was exclusive to Florida.

BrianV

Original Poster
Yep.
Your wallet is definitely going to be getting some opening.

I can relate....

A friend 'introduced' me recently to the Shop Disney Parks app as well.
I used to get the Theme Park Merchandise Mail Order catalogs from WDW in the 80s and 90s, but the service just seemed to disappear.
The Disney Store 'Parks' merch section on the main website was always a bit too bland for my tastes, so a friend showed me another option....
'The app...'

Whoa.
Big difference!
It was like being reunited with the ol' WDW Mail Order service from the days of yore!
But better - they offered Disneyland stuff as well.
Woo hoo!

The best part..?
I can buy WDW related items through the app with my DLR AP discount.
Never knew I could do that...elsewhere....outside of Disneyland's gates!
:)

-

I already have like 5 things in my cart. But having just returned from DLR I should probably wait until the credit card bills arrive. I wonder, but suppose you don't get the Disney Visa discount if you spend over $50?

rreading

Nice trip report, and as one who prefers WDW, I appreciate your perspective. Running across characters in the street is so fun and the charm of Main Street is so nice.

It's also nice for everything to be so close- but it's also a curse: when DL is crowded it almost feels claustrophobic. WDW can be that way during fireworks and evening egress but the pirates queue is really not my favorite. BTMRR has the nice effects, but I prefer WDW's version. And while the ride of SM is certainly smoother and with audible music, the approach to the show building- really? It looks like you're going backstage.

Comparing DCA to WDW is like comparing EPCOT to DL - there's no point. They're both great for what they are- warts and all.

Ultimately, what keeps us going back to WDW is the environment. I'm not enamored with LA. We are DVC members in Cali so we can stay at the Grand Californian for its immersion, but the expanse of WDW - while becoming more vehicle driven- takes me out of daily life better. To me, there's nothing better than staying somewhere on the water near MK and taking the boat back to our hotel.

But I'm glad we have both.

Curious Constance

I already have like 5 things in my cart. But having just returned from DLR I should probably wait until the credit card bills arrive. I wonder, but suppose you don't get the Disney Visa discount if you spend over $50?
I think you can, but don't quote me on that. Sometimes, fairly infrequently, they have sales too. One time, I think in February, there was a 25% off most merchandise promotion. If you have notifications set up from them on your phone, it should alert you to sales. They don't send very many either, so it's not a pain like some things are.

EPCOTCenterLover

As a person who grew up in Orange County CA, , I can tell you humorously that saying DL is in LA is considered an insult. The OC - particularly the farther south you live- couldn't be viewed any more differently. Maybe akin to telling someone from Long Island or Martha's Vineyard they are from Brooklyn. That different and very competitive with each other.

Phroobar

As a person who grew up in Orange County CA, , I can tell you humorously that saying DL is in LA is considered an insult. The OC - particularly the farther south you live- couldn't be viewed any more differently. Maybe akin to telling someone from Long Island or Martha's Vineyard they are from Brooklyn. That different and very competitive with each other.
What really makes me mad is the Los Angles Angles of Anaheim. Why is Los Angeles in the name when the team is located in Anaheim? Anaheim isn't even in Los Angeles county. Stupid marketing.

Last edited:

BrianV

Original Poster
I think you can, but don't quote me on that. Sometimes, fairly infrequently, they have sales too. One time, I think in February, there was a 25% off most merchandise promotion. If you have notifications set up from them on your phone, it should alert you to sales. They don't send very many either, so it's not a pain like some things are.
You can! As long as you spend $50 and use your Disney Visa. (I looked it up!). So now I must spend $50 at a pop. Second mortgage anyone? ;)

TP2000

Agreed that Disneyland is not in Los Angeles (county nor city nor culture).

Anyone who says that instantly brands themselves as an outsider, a tourist, and/or someone who could bring a gracious dinner party to a screeching halt with the faux pas of the year. I live in Orange County for a reason, and it's not LA. :cool:

Proof That Orange County Is NOT Los Angeles #684 = Orange County has it's own Housewives show - The Real Housewives of Orange County (the show that started the entire national Housewives franchise back in 2006), and Los Angeles has it's own separate Housewives show that didn't come along until 2010 - The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Real_Housewives

Phew. Now that sanity and clarity has been restored to this thread...

It's a shame @BrianV didn't visit a week later, once the AP blockouts kicked in. Anyone in SoCal who knows how to order off the In-N-Out secret menu also knows that you don't dare go to Disneyland until at least two levels of AP's are blocked out. Preferably three levels up to Deluxe, with day ticket prices up to Peak pricing levels. That way, the crowds get cut in half and the entire experience is markedly improved. It's why I upgraded from Deluxe a couple years ago.

Micechat has a great report today of the low crowd levels this past weekend, now that peak AP blockouts have kicked in for Easter Vacation. March and early April were a complete zoo at the parks with no AP blockouts, but now that it's peak spring break time and close to Easter, with all the blockouts Disneyland has become a dream factory again. Look at these photos and low wait times from this past weekend!... http://micechat.com/157832-disneyland-update-apri-surprise/

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Agreed that Disneyland is not in Los Angeles (county nor city).

Anyone who says that instantly brands themselves as an outsider, a tourist, and/or someone who could bring a gracious dinner party to a screeching halt with the faux pas of the year. I live in Orange County for a reason, and it's not LA. :cool:

Proof That Orange County Is NOT Los Angeles #684 = Orange County has it's own Housewives show - The Real Housewives of Orange County (the show that started the entire national Housewives franchise back in 2006), and Los Angeles has it's own separate Housewives show that didn't come along until 2010 - The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Real_Housewives

Phew. Now that sanity and clarity has been restored to this thread...

It's a shame @BrianV didn't visit a week later, once the AP blockouts kicked in. Anyone in SoCal who knows how to order off the In-N-Out secret menu also knows that you don't dare go to Disneyland until at least two levels of AP's are blocked out. Preferably three levels up to Deluxe, with day ticket prices up to Peak pricing levels. That way, the crowds get cut in half and the entire experience is markedly improved. It's why I upgraded from Deluxe a couple years ago.

Micechat has a great report today of the low crowd levels this past weekend, now that peak AP blockouts have kicked in for Easter Vacation. March and early April were a complete zoo at the parks with no AP blockouts, but now that it's peak spring break time and close to Easter, with all the blockouts Disneyland has become a dream factory again. Look at these photos and low wait times from this past weekend!... http://micechat.com/157832-disneyland-update-apri-surprise/
Do you know when the blackouts begin for summer?

TP2000

Do you know when the blackouts begin for summer?

Off the top of my head... Memorial Day Weekend is blocked out for most, then the SoCal Selects get to come back for the first week in June before they are blocked. Then the SoCal blockouts kick in the second week of June. Then by the third week of June Deluxes are blocked out weekends. The 4th of July weekend is a full triple blockout and is pure heaven for low crowds! Weekends through July and August are dreamy, weekdays less so because the tourists travel over weekends and arrive en masse at the front gates every weekday morning.

The summer blockouts get lifted the third week of August and the parks become packed again until Labor Day. Don't ever go the third week of August!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom