Roy O. Disney Steam Locomotive Broken Down (repaired) and Liberty Belle News

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As others have said it controls the steam flow for locomotion. Some just call it the throttle. However, the Johnson Bar is the actual lever that controls the throttle.

Does anyone know why it's called the Johnson Bar, I always assumed the most common steam control system was a patented device and the throttle was simply named after it.

Disneyrailfan1996

You don't send a locomotive to Strasburg to change a headlight....
What I meant was the bulb was changed as a minor adjustment- maybe at Disney's request. But that statement is inaccurate as I now discovered. I was looking through photos I took last week and Lilly still had an incandescent bulb. Date of the photo was Tuesday. I then found a video I took Wednesday, and it appears that Lilly's light was changed overnight. No clue why, but it could be just a simple burnt out bulb. Regardless of why the bulb is there, I stand corrected on my statement. Let's just hope this bulb is only temporary since it looks too modern. Neither Roger nor Roy have LED's in their headlamp currently.

Disney-Trains

As others have said it controls the steam flow for locomotion. Some just call it the throttle. However, the Johnson Bar is the actual lever that controls the throttle.

The Johnson bar is also known as the reverser. It controls the valve gear.

The throttle controls the steam flow.

DisAl

The THROTTLE controls the amount of steam from the boiler, just like the gas pedal on your car. The JOHNSON BAR controls the valves that admit the steam into the cylinders determining how much power is delivered to the wheels and whether you are in forward or reverse. It does this by determining for how much of each cylinder cycle steam is admitted into the cylinders and in what sequence. Think of it as the transmission on your car.
In full open it admits steam to the cylinders for the full cycle, giving you full torque or full thrust for the whole cycle. However, once a locomotive is in motion you would waste a lot of full pressure steam that way. Once in motion the Johnson bar would be closed a little with steam only admitted for part of the cycle and allowing it to expand, making the locomotive use much less steam and therefore much less water. In the "old days" having an adequate supply of water was often more difficult than having an adequate supply of fuel.
Now, all of that technical stuff being said the Disney World locomotives normally run with the Johnson bar in full forward all of the time. There is not enough time between stations for the engineer to worry with fine tuning the Johnson bar for high efficiency since he has an unlimited supply of water.
A bit of trivia - the speed limit on the WDW Railroad is 14 mph. If the engineer exceeds that it sets of an alarm in the cab that the engineer has to call a supervisor to get it reset.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom