Mickey Monitor: Entry 1 - New Epcot Pavilion

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
DCLBlog_DSC_2042_Sorcery-at-EPCOTs-International-Flower-and-Garden-Festival-2012-Main-Entrance-Topiary.jpg

This is a new open-brainstorming series where each "entry" will be a singular imagineering project based on our interest.

@OvertheHorizon was the first to suggest designing a new Epcot Pavilion as the initial topic of discussion, so that's what we will do!

As with all open-brainstorming threads, everyone is welcome to chime in and discuss what their ideas are for a new Epcot Pavilion, and then once we finish this project, we'll decide what to do next and so on. No due dates, just good old-fashioned imagineering.:bookworm:

Enjoy!

Suchomimus

For Future World, either a Weather Pavilion, a new version of Wonders of Life or a Technological (a pavilion that talks about the facts and history of modern technology like computers and cell phones) would make for the next Future World pavilion. And for World Showcase, Brazil, Ireland, Greece, Russia, South Africa, Spain, or Switzerland.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
For Future World, either a Weather Pavilion, a new version of Wonders of Life or a Technological (a pavilion that talks about the facts and history of modern technology like computers and cell phones) would make for the next Future World pavilion. And for World Showcase, Brazil, Ireland, Greece, Russia, South Africa, Spain, or Switzerland.
The most outdated thing about Epcot is that there is virtually no mention of technology from the last decade. Practically nothing on the internet, social media, cell phones, tablets, gaming, etc.

The world and it's technology has changed rapidly in the last decade and Epcot has not.

I would definitely vote a technology or computer science themed pavilion. That would give us a lot of options both for classic Epcot Center style edutainment and for IP infused fun (Tron, Wreck-it-Ralph, and Big Hero 6 could all eaaaasily fit comfortably into a pavilion like this).

That being said, none of these pavilions you mentioned would be bad. They're all great options. I would also add Australia as an option for the world showcase though.

OvertheHorizon

Thanks @spacemt354 for starting this.

I like the idea of a new "Horizons" pavilion.

Helped with designing a Weather Pavilion for one of the House Cup challenges. A new Wonders of Life pavilion is a good idea.

When Disney first proposed Epcot, he said it would showcase new technologies. One of the challenges in "real world" pavilion design is that it is unlikely to see significant upgrades for 10 years. The latest technology becomes outdated fast. I loved the movie in the Norway pavilion, but cringed every time I saw the old over-sized CRT with green screen lettering. I've long felt that using Communicore/Innoventions space to showcase new technologies would be best, but the turnover has to be faster. Every year, in Las Vegas, there is a Consumer Electronics Show for four days which draws 3600 exhibitors and more than 150,000 visitors over a four day period. How difficult would it be for Disney to sell booth space to the most leading edge consumer exhibitors (1% would be 36 exhibitors)? Perhaps they could offer three year space with one-third of the exhibitors swapping out each year, which would keep it fresh and leading edge. I think Epcot guests (adults and curious teens) would enjoy wondering through such an exhibit space seeing what industry is creating. Not only would it help demonstrate ideas to make our lives easier, but it would inspire a bunch of young minds to the possibilities that technological design could offer.

As far as new World Showcase pavilions, I like the idea of Russia - if only to see an Epcot style version of St. Basil's as the centerpiece of such a pavilion. ;)

When I think of other possible pavilions, I think about architectural, cultural, and food offerings. So Greece, India, and Thailand top my list there.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Thanks @spacemt354 for starting this.

I like the idea of a new "Horizons" pavilion.

Helped with designing a Weather Pavilion for one of the House Cup challenges. A new Wonders of Life pavilion is a good idea.

When Disney first proposed Epcot, he said it would showcase new technologies. One of the challenges in "real world" pavilion design is that it is unlikely to see significant upgrades for 10 years. The latest technology becomes outdated fast. I loved the movie in the Norway pavilion, but cringed every time I saw the old over-sized CRT with green screen lettering. I've long felt that using Communicore/Innoventions space to showcase new technologies would be best, but the turnover has to be faster. Every year, in Las Vegas, there is a Consumer Electronics Show for four days which draws 3600 exhibitors and more than 150,000 visitors over a four day period. How difficult would it be for Disney to sell booth space to the most leading edge consumer exhibitors (1% would be 36 exhibitors)? Perhaps they could offer three year space with one-third of the exhibitors swapping out each year, which would keep it fresh and leading edge. I think Epcot guests (adults and curious teens) would enjoy wondering through such an exhibit space seeing what industry is creating. Not only would it help demonstrate ideas to make our lives easier, but it would inspire a bunch of young minds to the possibilities that technological design could offer.

As far as new World Showcase pavilions, I like the idea of Russia - if only to see an Epcot style version of St. Basil's as the centerpiece of such a pavilion. ;)

When I think of other possible pavilions, I think about architectural, cultural, and food offerings. So Greece, India, and Thailand top my list there.
No problem! I always like new and exciting challenges.

So would this proposed exhibit be a replacement of sorts for Innoventions? Or more along the lines of another pavilion in Future World?

Also Russia is definitely up there among my top choices for a new World Showcase Pavilion. It's actually been a personal endeavor of mine to take a weekend and fully design ONE new World Showcase Pavilion, in full detail, rather than having it be part of a bigger project and having to minimize the detail in order to complete the whole project.

Russia
Brazil
Egypt
Switzerland
and New Zealand would be the first off the top of my head that I've been interested in.

OvertheHorizon

No problem! I always like new and exciting challenges.

So would this proposed exhibit be a replacement of sorts for Innoventions? Or more along the lines of another pavilion in Future World?

It's just my view, but I think Innoventions is largely a waste of space, and the exhibits that have been a part of it have quickly gotten stale. So my idea would be to use the permanent "Consumer Electronics Show" concept, which I think could draw a lot of people into air conditioned space. As with most "new" things, people will think they'll never be able to afford it, but just look at the advances in LED light technology and cost in just the past few years.

orlando678-

I'm actually all in on that. We could either make the Netherlands Pavilion part of a real life city like Amsterdam or the countryside. We could also give it a dark ride based on a Netherland folktale.
as a dutch person myself, i must say that we do not have a lot of folktales. Our most famous folktale is probably Reynard the Fox, but he can be found in french literature too. Then there are a lot of legends about De Witte Wieven (literally translates to The White Women) which are ghost like witches. Personally i was thinking about either a ride about the flying dutchman legends or a dark ride where guests board vehicles themed to dutch bicycles and ride past dutch landscapes, maybe adding in some mr toad like madness from time to time

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
It's just my view, but I think Innoventions is largely a waste of space, and the exhibits that have been a part of it have quickly gotten stale. So my idea would be to use the permanent "Consumer Electronics Show" concept, which I think could draw a lot of people into air conditioned space. As with most "new" things, people will think they'll never be able to afford it, but just look at the advances in LED light technology and cost in just the past few years.
I'd be all for that -- as I agree...aside from the Innoventions music, there is nothing much there.

QuillPenn

I definitely agree that something should be done about Innoventions. And the Consumer Electronic Show idea is pretty appealing, but, and I'm just throwing this out there, what about getting various Science and Technology Museums involved to build the actual exhibits? I know for a fact that my local Science Museum (OMSI) would jump at the chance to build something for Epcot. That way whenever a new technology comes out worth showcasing, they can have museums make a bid with their exhibit designs.

As for World Showcase, what about something from Africa, I know there's the African Outpost, (is it still there?) But something a bit more fully realized, like Kenya, or even South Africa?

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I definitely agree that something should be done about Innoventions. And the Consumer Electronic Show idea is pretty appealing, but, and I'm just throwing this out there, what about getting various Science and Technology Museums involved to build the actual exhibits? I know for a fact that my local Science Museum (OMSI) would jump at the chance to build something for Epcot. That way whenever a new technology comes out worth showcasing, they can have museums make a bid with their exhibit designs.

As for World Showcase, what about something from Africa, I know there's the African Outpost, (is it still there?) But something a bit more fully realized, like Kenya, or even South Africa?
Very funny you mentioned South Africa because that was one I forgot to add to the list above! That would be a very unique pavilion and something I'd like to see.

QuillPenn

Very funny you mentioned South Africa because that was one I forgot to add to the list above! That would be a very unique pavilion and something I'd like to see.

Agreed. Africa seems to be the least represented of the continents at World Showcase, I'd love to see it get some more attention. That, and Austrailia, both have very rich cultures that few Americans are aware of, it would bea great learning opportunity.

Suchomimus

Oh, and Australia, Denmark, and Venezuela for WS.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
And while we're at it, maybe we could look at updating Universe of Energy? Don't get me wrong, I love Ellen DeGeneres, but that pavilion really needs some TLC, in fact, I already I have some ideas I'd love to explore. Off all the possible projects here, I think I'd love to head that one.
That would be wonderful! UoE definitely needs work, but I'm not too keen on the rumored Guardians infusion into the pavilion. What are you ideas for it?:)

QuillPenn

I was thinking, restoring the original colors, and the mirrored panels. Restoring the Kinetic Sculpture, and having Bill Nye serve as the exclusive host and spokesperson, with a much more straightforward but energetic and humorous delivery, similar to what he did in his show. The info given would be updated to include more recent and more relevant discoveries.
I'd also love to bring the finale that used the mirrors. Though I'm not entirely sure how it would fit into the presentation. Give me a couple days to see what I can do. Any ideas or info about more current forms of energy would be greatly appreciated.

OvertheHorizon

I certainly like the idea of engaging Science and Technology Museums in whatever upgrades take place in Future World. Interesting that over the years Science Museums have adopted more of Disney's storytelling methods in their facilities.

Last night, I was thinking about the role of "story telling" in the pavilions. Whatever theme we work on, we need to figure out the story it is that we want to tell. In the case of my idea about a consumer electronics exhibit approach, it is somewhat like putting out a smorgasbord and allowing guests to sample the new ideas they are interested in.

On a different note, Neil deGrasse Tyson would be a good person to serve as a spokesperson for a pavilion. I would also toss out the idea of a planetarium at Epcot, or perhaps that concept could be incorporated into a new Horizons pavilion.

OvertheHorizon

T
The African Outpost location (yes, it is still there) was originally envisioned as an Equatorial Africa pavilion. I have a book about Epcot published in 1982 that outlines their plans. They even consulted with Alex Haley (ROOTS) on the design of the pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom