Disney's producing a live-action Beauty and the Beast movie

Californian Elitist

This is the first Disney live action remake that was worth a damn, in my opinion.

I do not understand why the final shot of the film was Tucci and Audri McDonald belting out the final number. They're irrelevant characters.

Agreed on both accounts. In recent years, Beauty and the Beast is the only live-action remake I really like from Disney.

I was very confused by the end shot, too. It was a nice shot, but it made no sense to me.

Disney Analyst

Agreed on both accounts. In recent years, Beauty and the Beast is the only live-action remake I really like from Disney.

I was very confused by the end shot, too. It was a nice shot, but it made no sense to me.

I think maybe they just wanted to show everyone where the money note was coming from? Cause my god was that note glorious.

MMDisneyPodcaster

That could be. Audra McDonald is obviously the best singer of the bunch, far and beyond. I could listen to her angelic voice all day.
I agree I really wish she had done the singing in the ballroom scene instead of Emma Thompson. She sounded more like Bert's sister from Mary Poppins than a romantic voice. Obviously having such a talented singer and not having her actually sing a full song is sorta disappointing.

Californian Elitist

I agree I really wish she had done the singing in the ballroom scene instead of Emma Thompson. She sounded more like Bert's sister from Mary Poppins than a romantic voice. Obviously having such a talented singer and not having her actually sing a full song is sorta disappointing.

I do like that they kept Mrs. Potts as the one to sing "Beauty and the Beast," however it's undeniable Audra McDonald is a much better singer than Emma Thompson. I'm glad McDonald got to sing a little bit of the song in the end.

As I said in an earlier post, I'm a little offended by how short McDonald's one and only solo, "Aria" is. She sings for like 30 or 40 seconds in total. Ridiculous.

MMDisneyPodcaster

Tick Tock

Spoilers included...

Not a bad remake at all. It had a few flaws I could nitpick at, but nothing major (for instance, why would Beast send Belle out into the cold and possibly wolves to rescue her father when there is a magic book which can instantly transport you anywhere, like when they went to Paris?). But overall the film did it's job and recreated the classic like I had hoped. The pacing seemed off during a few instances, but I liked how the story captured more character detail which was missing in the animated version (Ex: Belle's mother, why Beast was mean to begin with, the family & loved ones of the enchanted objects at the end...)

I also liked how this version added more logic into the plot line which was missing in the original. Examples of this would be:
-How the townsfolk in the original had no clue a giant castle & long-lost prince were in a forest not too incredibly far far away. In this new version, it made much more sense because they had forgotten of it's existence due to the Enchantress's curse.
-In the original, why on earth would Gaston not bring his hunting gun when he's embarking on a quest to kill the Beast?? In this new version...well, you all know what happens. And it makes more sense to his character.

I really liked the cast. When the first teaser trailer came out last year, I feared the voicing of Lumiere would ruin it. It just sounded "off" in those few seconds of the early trailer. But I take any worries back, and was very impressed with how all the characters were pulled-off by this cast.

So all in all, it was very good, not flawless, but worth the hype. I want to see it again before it leaves theaters, and try to catch more details missed first time around.

Tick Tock

One more thing I forgot to mention. Spoilers, once again...

Not sure how I feel about the Enchantress from the beginning showing up randomly a few times throughout, and at the very end. In theory it was a nice addition giving her more presence, but the more I think about it, doesn't it seem odd she would be around Gaston's tavern, know how he treated Maurice leaving him for dead, yet not put a curse on Gaston since he had the same traits (to a far worse degree) that made her curse the prince in the beginning? Having her around more often sorta opened up that plot hole (imo).

BuddyThomas

This is brilliant. From The Observer:
slide01.jpg

slide02.jpg

slide03.jpg

slide04.jpg

slide05.jpg

slide06.jpg

slide07.jpg

slide08.jpg

slide09.jpg

Figments Friend

I saw the film on Wednesday....decided to do a 3D showing which I enjoy.

As a whole, it was a enjoyable 2 hours.
However, for me it was similar to most of Disney's recent films over the last few years in that it was beautiful to look at , but not much below that pretty looking surface.
I was expecting a little more....but this is a fine movie to see at least once.

Things I really liked about it -

The costumes.
The set design
The cinematography
Beast's big musical song ' Evermore'
Further insights into the characters back stories.
Whenever the film strayed off the well beaten path of the familiar animated feature.
The enchanted storybook concept
Lafou, Maurice, Gaston, Beast.

Things I didn't really like -

The recycled lines directly lifted from the animated feature...word for word.
Some of the odd CGI performance capture animation done in a few scenes with Beast.
Editing / staging choices

While I did like the film, I think a part of me was expecting it to be more emotionally charged then it was.
I went in to see the film spoiler free and purposely separated it in my mind from the animated film to try to avoid comparisons.
That was difficult, exspecially with so much of the script and even scenes directly copied from said animated film.

The animated film had far more emotion involved between the characters, particularly Belle and Beast, then I saw in this live action version.
A lot of times it just seemed like they were going through the paces, assuming the audience is already familiar with the 91' feature.
Hard to put my finger on it....but that was my impression.

I just wasn't feeling the 'enchantment' factor and getting swept up in the story.
That was surprising in a way, as this is a tale perfectly suited for that.
But something was missing for me.

It was glorious to view in 3D though.
The set design, castle exteriors and interiors, and gorgeous costumes made for some beautiful eye candy.
But...not a lot of depth underneath that.

Would I see it again if opportunity arose..?
Yes, I would.
It was not a 'one and done' like so many recent Disney related films have been to me over the last few years.

:)

-

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Just got back from finally seeing it. I went with my mom and my sister to a special dinner showing at our local theater.
Here was our menu for the evening -

upload_2017-3-26_20-47-40.png

I wanted to love it and it had some great moments. But it was missing that little something that make is a love instead of a like for me. I think something was lost in the CGI model of the Beast and the chemistry with Belle could have been better. The eyes were not quite right somehow. Overall I enjoyed the little updates to Belle and Lefou's characters. I thought it was weird to have a magic book and a magic mirror. I thought they could have maybe expanded the power of the mirror instead to show the past as well. The two new songs were fine. I prefer their Bradway counterparts but I understand why they weren't used. I love the Beast's anti-Romeo and Juliet stance. I feel the same.

Last edited:

JBIRDTO

So I have been to see this movie a second time. I enjoyed it the first go-around but really enjoyed it the second time. Lots of foreshadowing and some of the texture is lost when you first see it. I think because I was comparing the original in my mind almost shot for shot or scene for scene I did not appreciate all the detail.

The new songs are very good. Evermore is going to be a new classic and felt very much at home.

Lots of people have asked why remake this classic? This live-action will be a new classic. Listening to folks around me in the theatre was a treat both times. People teared up, laughed and appreciated the spectacle. I don't have anything negative to say about the acting or some of the directing or story choices. This movie is staying with me in my mind and that is a good thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom