French Quarter or Riverside?

DPN

Original Poster
Trying to decide between the 2.

We're a family of 4 with a 5 yr old and 1 yr old. Going for 3 nights prior to our off site timeshare. We won't be doing any parks until we move to the off site location so we'll be hanging around the resorts for three days.

We will most likely go to Disney Springs daily. Any suggestions on which property to pick? Better pools? Thanks!!!!

KrzyKtty

Hum, we originally picked PORFQ due to it's small size, so that meant less walking with our children. However, we switched to Riverside when we found the price dropped for a Royal Guest Room to only $300 more for the same room view. Riverside has the larger cafeteria, restaurant, and a nice pool. Whether the pool is better or not comes down to taste. Many people swear by the beautiful grounds and walking trails in Riverside as well. If buss transport isn't an issue, I would suggest Riverside.

Epcot82Guy

I'll start by saying you won't go wrong with either pick. So, if you have a gut feeling for one - go for it!

For me, I like the smaller, more intimate feeling of POFQ. The room areas are a little richer with the woods and "adult/relaxing" for me. It is also smaller, so less walking. The pool, on the other hand, is more lively and kid-focused. Their food court has some interesting food compared with others. And, it often has its own bus, which is a HUGE plus for me.

With that, POR has a bit more escapism given its size. You also have a really fun lounge with a piano player several nights (good for kids and adults). And, their main pool is just as fun - plus with the addition of the smaller quiet pools. It is much larger, but you have multiple bus stops - and the size leads to some nice walks among the buildings. For your family, POR will also potentially give you the pull down bed for the little one - but only in the Alligator Bayou section. Since you have a very little one and a little one, that may not be a big deal for you.

And, always remember you can walk between the two sides pretty easily if you like one or the other - but want to visit a pool/bar/restaurant/etc. of the other!

DPN

Original Poster
Hum, we originally picked PORFQ due to it's small size, so that meant less walking with our children. However, we switched to Riverside when we found the price dropped for a Royal Guest Room to only $300 more for the same room view. Riverside has the larger cafeteria, restaurant, and a nice pool. Whether the pool is better or not comes down to taste. Many people swear by the beautiful grounds and walking trails in Riverside as well. If buss transport isn't an issue, I would suggest Riverside.
Great, thanks for the info!

DPN

Original Poster
I'll start by saying you won't go wrong with either pick. So, if you have a gut feeling for one - go for it!

For me, I like the smaller, more intimate feeling of POFQ. The room areas are a little richer with the woods and "adult/relaxing" for me. It is also smaller, so less walking. The pool, on the other hand, is more lively and kid-focused. Their food court has some interesting food compared with others. And, it often has its own bus, which is a HUGE plus for me.

With that, POR has a bit more escapism given its size. You also have a really fun lounge with a piano player several nights (good for kids and adults). And, their main pool is just as fun - plus with the addition of the smaller quiet pools. It is much larger, but you have multiple bus stops - and the size leads to some nice walks among the buildings. For your family, POR will also potentially give you the pull down bed for the little one - but only in the Alligator Bayou section. Since you have a very little one and a little one, that may not be a big deal for you.

And, always remember you can walk between the two sides pretty easily if you like one or the other - but want to visit a pool/bar/restaurant/etc. of the other!
Thanks! Good info about the pull down bed! Do you know if Riverside and French Quarter share a water taxi to Disney Springs or does each resort have its own?

KrzyKtty

During the morning and mid day they share one I believe. During the prime evening hours, used to be starting at 4, they would each get their own.

LeighM

French Quarter has a new splash pad type area in the pool area that is good for younger kids. We stayed in a royal room at Riverside and loved it. You really can't go wrong with either resort. I prefer Riverside because of the atmosphere. If you haven't looked at the unofficial website www.portorleans.org you should because it has a lot of information and pictures you might find helpful.

J_Krafty24

Normally I recommend FQ because of its small size. Even the farthest rooms are a short walk from the food court and bus stops.

Because you are not doing the parks during your stay I think Riverside will offer more for your family. They have a full service restaurant (FQ does not) a larger food court with more choices and more area to roam and explore.

Just make sure you take a walk or boat ride over to FQ to visit and get the bienets. They are delicious. Also, last I knew guests were allowed to visit the pools at sister resorts like POFQ and POR.

DPN

Original Poster
Good info, thanks. I think we will do Riverside since we're not doing parks, looking forward to a lot of walking and exploring between the two resorts! And of course beignets! Oh and a shrimp po boy!

Jeff456

I'll echo what others have said! When I saw your thread title I would have default said FQ for the smaller scale which makes everything quicker going to parks. But as you've said you'll be sticking around the resort I'd go for POR as it is so much bigger so might be more interesting, the walk between the two is nice anyway and you can always explore FQ then!

Mista C

This question can spark heated debates along the lines of such great rivals as Coke vs. Pepsi... Playstation vs. Xbox... BSB vs. NKOTB... toilet paper under vs. toilet paper over... Google vs. Apple... Ford vs. Chevy... WDW vs. DL... UF vs. FSU... and so on and so on and so on!!! I stand firmly planted on one side of each of the above wars, and it is no different when it comes to the age old French Quarter vs. Riverside debate (or for us long timers Port Orleans vs. Dixie Landings)! And I am team French Quarter all the way! The ORIGINAL Port Orleans resort!!! WOOH!

Deno

This question can spark heated debates along the lines of such great rivals as Coke vs. Pepsi... Playstation vs. Xbox... BSB vs. NKOTB... toilet paper under vs. toilet paper over... Google vs. Apple... Ford vs. Chevy... WDW vs. DL... UF vs. FSU... and so on and so on and so on!!! I stand firmly planted on one side of each of the above wars, and it is no different when it comes to the age old French Quarter vs. Riverside debate (or for us long timers Port Orleans vs. Dixie Landings)! And I am team French Quarter all the way! The ORIGINAL Port Orleans resort!!! WOOH!

Not even close.........it's BSB ;-)

I love walking through Riverside on a Summer night. So peaceful. I love it there.

Mark P.

Joining Team Riverside. Just returned from a 5-night stay and spent time at FQ last summer, generally it'd be a toss-up (aforementioned transportation comments definitely give the edge to FQ if your goal is accessibility to the parks), but for a resort-centric trip, the larger feature pool complex, better dining (though Sassagoula Float Works does take Tables in Wonderland, if that's your thing), and quiet pools give POR the edge. And "Yehaa" Bob Jackson at River Roost is a Disney institution not to be missed.

Kingoglow

If you look through the pages in this sub-forum you will see many many posts of people trying to choose which moderate would be best for them. Almost all of those threads have something in common: people are asking wether to stay at POFQ or <insert different moderate hotel>. The reason is because POFQ is the best moderate on property for families with less than 5 guests.

Due to is size, location and bus service, it cannot be beat. It has a nice, kid friendly pool experience and boats to Disney Springs. The only downside that I can think of is, as of my last visit, the restaurants are limited. PORS has a larger restaurant which is a short walk over a bridge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom