The Edison--details announced

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It was alleged that this sort of operational thing may have been part of what stalled/delayed the project. How do you get the Orlando locals and Disney tourists to dress up and behave (and spend) like Los Angeles hipsters?

When your whole business model is selling $24.00 cocktails and $36.00 charcuterie plates to the fashionable in-crowd obeying a strict dress code, how do you translate that business model to a shopping mall in Orlando?

Ask STK, they've already had to retool their menu and vibe a bit to be more family friendly.

disney4life2008

Ask STK, they've already had to retool their menu and vibe a bit to be more family friendly.

My issue with Disney Springs is that they are selling commercialized food at triple prices. I refuse to pay over $15 for any enteee. Rainforest cafe is beside themselves and it gets worse from there. I will continue to go to ohana and Disney dining vs Disney Springs. Im not miss much. While on the subject i went to the fish and chips place at Disney Springs and it was horrible!

articos

It was alleged that this sort of operational thing may have been part of what stalled/delayed the project. How do you get the Orlando locals and Disney tourists to dress up and behave (and spend) like Los Angeles hipsters?

When your whole business model is selling $24.00 cocktails and $36.00 charcuterie plates to the fashionable in-crowd obeying a strict dress code, how do you translate that business model to a shopping mall in Orlando?
You don't.

Next Big Thing

IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0709.JPG

I am Timmy

That's what I was wondering! And, holy cow, $24 cocktails?! I was just interested in the 1920's vibe, I love history, and I don't drink. I wonder how much a coke is? And definitely not a hipster.

TP2000

That's what I was wondering! And, holy cow, $24 cocktails?! I was just interested in the 1920's vibe, I love history, and I don't drink. I wonder how much a coke is? And definitely not a hipster.

I've been to The Edison twice, with younger family members who are very much SoCal hipsters. Both times I was invited because the "kids" in my family know I met the dress code when all those clothes were first in style, that I can still meet the dress code today, and that I would likely pick up the tab. I succeeded at all those things. :cool:

I usually order Sazeracs or Manhattans or Rusty Nails when I have a cocktail out, and both times the attractive and charming cocktail waitress dressed like a Burlesque Flapper convinced me to have one of their house specialty cocktails that are new twists on those old classics.

When a cocktail waitress at The Edison coos in your ear and upsells you, you go along for the ride.
slide_269486_1875669_free.jpg

You can also get a $60 glass of 30 year old Scotch, or $40 for a glass of high end Whiskey. My drinks were about twenty bucks (gorgeously served and very high quality), basic drinks cost in the teens, and the sharing appetizers were in the $20 to $35 dollar range, and that was five years ago. Plus cover charges, plus valet parking, plus healthy gratuities for parking guy, door host, and waitresses. It was fun, but not cheap.

While those were the prices for a downtown Los Angeles nightclub, some of the highest priced American real estate and cost of living outside of Manhattan, I can't imagine the Orlando location would be that much cheaper in 2017. They are building a huge custom built facility and will need to make that pencil out, whereas in LA they took over an unused and long abandoned electrical power plant and its basement and reused all the old equipment. I would think building the faux version of that in an Orlando mall would be more expensive than re-purposing the real thing in LA, but maybe I'm wrong.

I am Timmy

I've been to The Edison twice, with younger family members who are very much SoCal hipsters. Both times I was invited because the "kids" in my family know I met the dress code when all those clothes were first in style, that I can still meet the dress code today, and that I would likely pick up the tab. I succeeded at all those things. :cool:

I usually order Sazeracs or Manhattans or Rusty Nails when I have a cocktail out, and both times the attractive and charming cocktail waitress dressed like a Burlesque Flapper convinced me to have one of their house specialty cocktails that are new twists on those old classics.

When a cocktail waitress at The Edison coos in your ear and upsells you, you go along for the ride.

You can also get a $60 glass of 30 year old Scotch, or $40 for a glass of high end Whiskey. My drinks were about twenty bucks (gorgeously served and very high quality), basic drinks cost in the teens, and the sharing appetizers were in the $20 to $35 dollar range, and that was five years ago. Plus cover charges, plus valet parking, plus healthy gratuities for parking guy, door host, and waitresses. It was fun, but not cheap.

While those were the prices for a downtown Los Angeles nightclub, some of the highest priced American real estate and cost of living outside of Manhattan, I can't imagine the Orlando location would be that much cheaper in 2017. They are building a huge custom built facility and will need to make that pencil out, whereas in LA they took over an unused and long abandoned electrical power plant and its basement and reused all the old equipment. I would think building the faux version of that in an Orlando mall would be more expensive than re-purposing the real thing in LA, but maybe I'm wrong.
Thank you for all the info! That sounds great, and my boys would like the ladies (I am female, so me not so much) but might be a little too spendy when we're already paying for the Disney experience. Unless you'd like to join us? I hear you pick up the tab....

durangojim

I'm still looking for a great Manhattan at WDW. If this place has one, I might just have to go. What's the dress code like? That might be the more interesting aspect of the location in Orlando. Seems like if it's too strict they will miss out on a lot of business.

Tony the Tigger

I'm still looking for a great Manhattan at WDW. If this place has one, I might just have to go. What's the dress code like? That might be the more interesting aspect of the location in Orlando. Seems like if it's too strict they will miss out on a lot of business.

I like the rye Manhattan with the black cherries at yachtsman steakhouse FWIW

TP2000

From their website it says "innovative, sophisticated and cultured attire is required". Then it lists the things you can NOT wear; "athletic attire of any kind (shorts, ballcaps, hoodies, sweatshirts) flip-flops, sandals, tennis shoes or athletic shoes, t-shirts, torn or baggy jeans."

It also states men must be wearing dress shoes and a collared shirt at minimum, but that the door hosts "have sole discretion with regards to enforcement of our dress code" and can change the code "with respect to style", which means that if you don't pass muster, or just don't look the type, you aren't getting in even if you technically meet the dress code.

Both times I went all men were wearing sportcoats at minimum, many in full suits and ties. The ladies were dressed to the Nines in fancy cocktail dresses, elaborate hairdo, etc.. Everyone looked very sharp as it is known as a true "event" location. But again, this is downtown Los Angeles.

It's entirely unknown how this whole thing will play out in Orlando, much less at a tourist shopping mall in Orlando. The Edison works because of its style and environment, and sunburnt tourists plopped into banquettes wearing tank tops and Crocs just isn't the scene. It will be fascinating to see how Edison management handles it!

And if you ever get to Disneyland, the Carthay Circle Lounge at California Adventure has the absolute BEST Manhattan I've ever had on Disney property anywhere from Tokyo to Orlando, and one of the best Manhattan's period. The showmanship with the bartop Ice Sphere creation is part of the fun, and I ask for mine made with Rittenhouse rye. Walt would approve!

Last edited:

durangojim

From their website it says "innovative, sophisticated and cultured attire is required". Then it lists the things you can NOT wear; "athletic attire of any kind (shorts, ballcaps, hoodies, sweatshirts) flip-flops, sandals, tennis shoes or athletic shoes, t-shirts, torn or baggy jeans."

It also states men must be wearing dress shoes and a collared shirt at minimum, but that the door hosts "have sole discretion with regards to enforcement of our dress code" and can change the code "with respect to style", which means that if you don't pass muster, or just don't look the type, you aren't getting in even if you technically meet the dress code.

Both times I went all men were wearing sportcoats at minimum, many in full suits and ties. The ladies were dressed to the Nines in fancy cocktail dresses, elaborate hairdo, etc.. Everyone looked very sharp as it is known as a true "event" location. But again, this is downtown Los Angeles.

It's entirely unknown how this whole thing will play out in Orlando, much less at a tourist shopping mall in Orlando. The Edison works because of its style and environment, and sunburnt tourists plopped into banquettes wearing tank tops and Crocs just isn't the scene. It will be fascinating to see how Edison management handles it!

And if you ever get to Disneyland, the Carthay Circle Lounge at California Adventure has the absolute BEST Manhattan I've ever had on Disney property anywhere from Tokyo to Orlando, and one of the best Manhattan's period. The showmanship with the bartop Ice Sphere creation is part of the fun, and I ask for mine made with Rittenhouse rye. Walt would approve!

Thanks!

It's funny that you mention the Carthay Manhattan because that is what I measure all other Manhattans against! When in Disneyland, my wife and will almost always make sure we go over to the lounge each evening to make sure I can get my Manhattan and she can get her Tequila Daisy :) I don't know if you were there last year but they replaced the ice sphere with a diamond for the 60th anniversary. It was pretty cool and the drink was still sublime.

roj2323

Any idea if the tunnels are still being built?
The tunnel has always been there. It is being worked on but it's final use is still largely unknown. It could just end up being an offstage cast area again as it was prior to the Disney springs project. The last time I saw drawings of the area (on this forum btw) the main portion of the "tunnels" was kitchen freezers and prep areas. There was a dining area that wrapped around but it seemed to be questionable at to whether or not it would remain part of the final plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom