Pirates ride, where's the mermaids?

Brer Oswald

The ride does not need a story in the sense that it has now. All of the attempts to inject the ride with "Story" have just made things worse.
No not in the sense that it does now, but the issue with the current story is how disjointed it is. If more effort was put in, the newer characters wouldn't ruin the older scenes.

Bairstow

The ride does not need a story in the sense that it has now. All of the attempts to inject the ride with "Story" have just made things worse.

The music bugs me especially. As designed, all music in this attraction, including the queue, is supposed to be diegetic. The 2006 refurb changed that and it's never felt right since.

Bocabear

the siren song makes it too movie specific...and when there is no mermaid for the visual payoff it just seems odd... I liked the original Dead Men tell no tales and the storm sounds... but there is probably a better alternative...

V_L_Raptor

WDI tried to put MORE IN sometime in 2013/2014 without the original ones ever having worked consistently. It's amazing to me that 2013 WDI couldn't get a projector to work when 1969 WED built the Haunted Mansion. There was a small motor in the water that was to emulate a tail splashing the surface of the water as the mermaid dived back down. But that worked even less often than the very standard projectors. The mermaid effect was completely turned off during the 2015 refurb

Which, mind you, early 1980's Paramount Pictures managed to do with an animatronic humpback whale, and 1960's WED had fake afrotherians popping up from the water for Jungle Cruise scenes, but I digress... A mermaid sounding should've been kind of easy to pull off.

HMF

Something else that needs to be restored is the ship captain in the battle scene. His dialogue, to me, was just as "important" as the auctioneer.
I would like that to happen to but I would take Geoffrey Rush re-dubbing Paul Frees original dialogue as a compromise.

Big C 73

Is there an original master tape or audio from the 1973 version of the attraction available? I know some portions exists, I was just curious as to if there was anywhere which would have the audio in its entirety.

Animaniac93-98

One other thing I think I remembered ... didn't the cannons outside the entrance use to fire or at least have sound effects? I swear I remember that as a kid.

Yes they did. They were turned off in 2006 so people could hear the Pirate Tutorial show*.

One will fire if set off during the pirate game they have in Adventureland.

*Is it going away? If so, maybe they can turn them back on

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom