Disney's producing a live-action Beauty and the Beast movie

Princess Leia

Any adult oriented theaters near you? We have 2 in a 20 minute drive. Strict rules on talking, texting etc. and no one under 18 without a parent and they will kick those annoying kids out! I've never had an issue even at kids movies. My kids are terrified they will be ejected from the theater, it's the only place I can guarantee proper behavior from them.
That's amazing. I haven't had a bad experience with small children in theaters in awhile, but someone brought an infant to The Winter Soldier, and the poor baby would not stop crying.

In terms of texting though... Yeesh. From what I've found, it's adults who are the worst perpetrators of this. Between my mother & her fitbit (she kept getting text alerts during Rogue One and would keep looking at her illuminated wrist), and the near-fight I saw at Hidden Figures between a guy who kept texting on his "powered by the sun" phone and the man "kicking" his seat, I'm in the firm belief that older adults have more of an issue texting than teens.

The theater I saw BatB in was mostly pretty okay. Some kids seemed restless, and it felt like more people were leaving to use the restroom than normal, but at least no one cried and I wasn't subjected to people texting or talking around me.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Saw BatB last Thursday evening. Solid "meh" from me. I was not impressed.
  • FAR too long, 45 minutes longer than the original for absolutely no reason
  • Too much plot-jumping/chopping (for lack of a better term). They cut out some key plot points:
    • Gaston's scheming
    • That little thing called Belle and Beast falling for each other over the course of weeks or months, not a few days
    • And, of course, it's a Disney movie, they HAVE to have someone die (even though it wasn't in the original, they felt the need to add 10-15 minutes onto the movie with this unnecessary fluff)
  • Visually it was great, but this was a case of big and glitzy over substance
  • Music was decent overall. Didn't care much for some of the re-makes but the new songs were good.
  • The whole kerfluffle with LeFou and his feelings for Gaston was entirely overblown, and I was someone who thought it was stupid to have there in first place
  • Honestly, the CGI-animated characters and their interactions with each other were more enthralling to me than Belle and Beast
  • For whatever reason, Emma Watson seemed to be forcing anything resembling emotion throughout the film
And, FWIW, I can't stand ANY of the online comments (IMDB, et al.) that start with, "Ignore anyone saying anything negative about this movie". Really???

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
That's amazing. I haven't had a bad experience with small children in theaters in awhile, but someone brought an infant to The Winter Soldier, and the poor baby would not stop crying.

In terms of texting though... Yeesh. From what I've found, it's adults who are the worst perpetrators of this. Between my mother & her fitbit (she kept getting text alerts during Rogue One and would keep looking at her illuminated wrist), and the near-fight I saw at Hidden Figures between a guy who kept texting on his "powered by the sun" phone and the man "kicking" his seat, I'm in the firm belief that older adults have more of an issue texting than teens.

The theater I saw BatB in was mostly pretty okay. Some kids seemed restless, and it felt like more people were leaving to use the restroom than normal, but at least no one cried and I wasn't subjected to people texting or talking around me.
I go to the Alamo Drafthouse. it's great.

I go to the Alamo Drafthouse - it's amazing. I have actually not seen a movie in theaters because it's not showing there. One of the things they are known for is their preshow PSA telling people not to talk in the theater. Many times they are themed to the movie you are seeing and some movie companies even make special one for Alamo.

This is my favorite - I've seen it a few times in front of R rated movies - NSFW

They made a parody of it they play in front of Star Wars Movies

Disney had a special Moana one made -

My son was terrified that he would be "ejected from the theater" he thought it actually meant they would launch him out of the theater like an ejection seat.

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
Any adult oriented theaters near you? We have 2 in a 20 minute drive. Strict rules on talking, texting etc. and no one under 18 without a parent and they will kick those annoying kids out! I've never had an issue even at kids movies. My kids are terrified they will be ejected from the theater, it's the only place I can guarantee proper behavior from them.

Wow, that's awesome~! I'll have to look into this. I live in a very family-oriented suburb, and it's great. I do like kids. But not when they're throwing fits during movies, of course. When I went to see "Minions" there was a kid in the theater that screeched nearly all the way through it. The ushers did nothing. Soured me on seeing movies in theaters, frankly. I'd rather stay home and rent them via Netflix or Amazon or Fandango.

Princess Leia

Anyone else hoping one or more of the new songs gets an Oscar nom next year? Also, Mencken deserves another nomination for Best Score, in my opinion.
Of the new songs, I can see this one getting a nom:

I can see it getting some competition from 'The Greatest Showman' (team from La La Land) and Coco, in terms of musicals/movies about music.

Californian Elitist

I think evermore deserves a nom for best original song no doubt in my mind about that.

I'm also thinking Evermore will be the one to get a nomination, if there should only be one. I've been repeating that song on my iPod over and over again. Can't get enough. That, "Days in the Sun," and "Aria," which is way too short. I'm a little offended by its short length, honestly.

Of the new songs, I can see this one getting a nom:

I can see it getting some competition from 'The Greatest Showman' (team from La La Land) and Coco, in terms of musicals/movies about music.

I can definitely see it, too!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I go to the Alamo Drafthouse. it's great.

I go to the Alamo Drafthouse - it's amazing. I have actually not seen a movie in theaters because it's not showing there. One of the things they are known for is their preshow PSA telling people not to talk in the theater. Many times they are themed to the movie you are seeing and some movie companies even make special one for Alamo.

This is my favorite - I've seen it a few times in front of R rated movies - NSFW

They made a parody of it they play in front of Star Wars Movies

Disney had a special Moana one made -

My son was terrified that he would be "ejected from the theater" he thought it actually meant they would launch him out of the theater like an ejection seat.

I would give my eye teeth for an Alamo Drafthouse around here. Far too many people have the "I paid for a ticket so I can do what I want!" attitude in my neck of the woods.

Jahona

I would give my eye teeth for an Alamo Drafthouse around here. Far too many people have the "I paid for a ticket so I can do what I want!" attitude in my neck of the woods.

I've got two near me. If I could I would send one your way. They're policies make for a good viewing experience and their preshows are original.

Now for my view of the movie..... Where to start.

TLDR: Over all I enjoyed the movie. The live action version did a lot of things right and a few things wrong.

The look and feel of the movie was as much as I hoped for. The attention to period correct France grounded the movie in a sort of realism, even if the makeup in the beginning was a bit much. The film used a nice color palate to contrast the cursed environment from the outside world. The CGI was strong in some parts and then noticeably bad in others. Little things like lighting being off or surface textures not feeling realistic and popping the CGI from the scene. The beasts CGI costume was well done. The fur moved and felt natural.

As for characters, Emma Watson portrayed a great Belle. While I wouldn't quite her day job and go into singing she did an ok job. Luke Evan's as Gaston was great. I enjoyed his portrayal although he could use a bit more muscle :p. Josh Gad as LeFou didn't wow me. I think it might just be the changes to the character as a whole I didn't like. Ewan McGregor played an excellent Lumier. His rebellious wit was always enjoyable. I wish he and Ian McKellen had a bit more back and forth banter. Some of their scenes almost felt as if they recorded the voices separately. Dan Stevens as the Beast was fine. I think his voice was a bit soft at times that felt a bit off from the visual of the beast.

So story wise, the film has pacing issues and part of it comes from some of the new songs being longer than their originals. I liked that they filled in some of the plot holes of the original animated movie but some of the other additions I felt unnecessary. The story didn't exactly need a back story on Belle and her father. The opening musical number that cut right between the narration was jarring to me and felt as if it was added just because it's a Disney film and it had to start with a musical number. The passage of time seemed a bit quicker than the animated version. In the animated I always got the feel that the story was told over a couple of months instead of a few days as the live action seems to be. Belle's turn from hating the Beast to loving him is more sympathetic in this film vs. Stockholm syndrome. The addition of a romance between the Maestro and the Wardrobe felt like it was just fluff. The changes to LeFou just didn't work for me. His change of heart goes against the original animated character, and I really didn't feel like the henchman needed a happy ending. There's probably more I could say but I feel like I'm starting to ramble.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
After talking to my friends who've seen the movie, and thinking about the film, I'm confident in saying I prefer the live-action to the animated film.
I like them both. Probably about equally. Which is to say, I love them both.

I think it's silly to have expected a shot for shot remake of a cartoon. Who would that serve? I feel a lot of the bad reviews are hand wringing over how "it's not like the drawings were."

Californian Elitist

I like them both. Probably about equally. Which is to say, I love them both.

I think it's silly to have expected a shot for shot remake of a cartoon. Who would that serve? I feel a lot of the bad reviews are hand wringing over how "it's not like the drawings were."

I do love both. I actually re-watched the cartoon the night before seeing this one and just loved it. It's such a classic and definitely one of Disney's best, without a doubt. I like it lesser only by a small margin. Both are great.

I agree about the silliness in expecting and wanting everything to be the same from the original cartoon. Most of the bad reviews I've read come from people who kept comparing it to the cartoon. I immediately knew this was going to be different from the animated version after seeing the first trailer. It was very obvious to me then, and it became more obvious as more teasers, clips, trailers, and general information about the film began being released. I went in expecting something different from the cartoon, and it's exactly what I got. And I enjoyed what I got, maybe because I wasn't expecting the 1991 movie. Everything felt more fleshed out and I felt I got a fuller story.

Tony Perkis

I genuinely thought the film was wonderful. This is the first Disney live action remake that was worth a damn, in my opinion.

I will admit I am coming from a biased, damned it you do damned if you don't vantage point, but this was the only route the film could have taken to to please a certain segment who grew up with the film.

By default, the film was going to suffer from an "unoriginal" critique, because you can't deviate from the original. Double edged sword.

Evermore is the reason this works. That song is as good as "If I Can't Love Her" in my eyes. It was great.

I prefer the animated film, but the animated film is the single best animated I've ever seen, and it holds a forever spot in my top 10 films ever. That's unfair to the remake.

I do not understand why the final shot of the film was Tucci and Audri McDonald belting out the final number. They're irrelevant characters.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

I do not understand why the final shot of the film was Tucci and Audri McDonald belting out the final number. They're irrelevant characters.
Same!!! That really did not sit well with me. I would have been content with the final shot being Belle & Beast kissing, or a stained glass portrait of Belle & Beast, or even just the castle glistening in the sunlight. Focusing on Audra and Stanley at the end seemed very off to me (especially since Stanley's Cadenza was an original character).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom