Disney's producing a live-action Beauty and the Beast movie

Sped2424

Just came from seeing this with family. All of us loved it. How beautiful were the set designs and the cinematography? The costumes were gorgeous as well. I appreciated the more fleshed out story and details. Adored the singing and the characters. My only complaints are the CGI for Beast and the lack of screen time he had as a human. I wanted more (Dan Stevens is nice to look at).

Would definitely see this again and this easily tops the recent animated-to-live-action films to come from Disney, none of which I've been impressed with.
Okay spoiler alert: But did you die when she wanted him to grow a beard and his response was a growl? Because it made me melt lol

Disney Analyst

Got home and both my partner and I simply LOVED this film. I was a complete crying mess at the end as the spell finishes it's terrible task and
all the characters became the actual, lifeless objects... that was an incredible scene and as soon as Mrs. Potts was lifeless I was done...

I thought the cast was wonderful, the sets/costumes were gorgeous, animation fantastic, and the add-ons to the story added heart and character. I feel like they finally helped us feel for The Beast.

Bravo. So good. I want to go back.

drcasey

I was so skeptical when this movie was announced. I didn't want the original to be "ruined" and I was concerned about Emma Watson as Belle even though I LOVE her. Saw the movie today, have to say I thought it was INCREDIBLE!!!! I laughed, I cried. Wow. It was just fabulous. The casting was spot on. I am so impressed. The movie got a big ovation when it ended and everyone in the theater was talking about how they were crying! Disney did a wonderful job and I can't wait to see it again

belledream

What a wonderful film! Great cast, such breathtaking scenery, and I really enjoyed the new songs and storylines. 2 hours of pure escape. My mind feels so vivid and my heart is so full. I love Beauty and the Beast.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/beauty-and-the-beast-box-office-1202011662/

Beauty and the Beast,” the studio’s latest live-action update of a cartoon classic, waltzed its way to a towering $170 million debut this weekend, setting a new record for a March opening and solidifying the Mouse House’s status as the dominant player in the film business.

Sixty percent of ticket buyers were female, while families accounted for half of the opening weekend audience. Children under 12 made up 22% of the crowd, while people between the ages of 26 and 34, the same demographic reared on the animated film, comprised 21% of the audience.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/187967...to-become-most-successful-movie-musical-ever/

Disney’s big-screen remake of Beauty and the Beast is on track to become the most successful live-action movie musical of all time, raking in an estimated $170 million in its opening weekend.

That summer-sized box office take makes the film the most successful March opening in history, and the seventh-largest film opening ever. Internationally, Beauty and the Beast earned another $180 million, bringing the global gross to $350 million.

Directed by Bill Condon, the film can expect to overtake the highest-grossing movie musical, 1978’s Grease ($188 million lifetime gross) within days. The other top movie musicals domestically are the Oscar-winning Chicago at $170.6 million, La La Land at $149 million, Les Misérables at $148 million and Mamma Mia! at $144 million.

fractal

Just came back from seeing in a sold-out theater. I liked it much more than I thought I would. My 15 year old loved it and my wife, who typically is not much of a fairy tale/fantasy fan also loved it. Huge applause by the audience at the end.

Really like the set designs - amazing actually. I liked Lumiere and crew much more than I thought I would. In fact, I cared about them more than any other character. Although it was 2 hours long, it moved at a nice pace.

Emma Watson is a fine actor but I found her voice lacking. I never bought into her personifying Belle. Emma is attractive in a "Tom boy" way vs. I picture Belle more of a pure beauty. The casting of her was a great choice to sell tickets but I think a better Belle was out there.

Gaston was great. Surprisingly so for me - he dominated the screen when he was on against all the other characters including Belle and even Beast.

LeFou - I thought Josh Gad did a find job in his role which was mostly to talk to the audience and talk for the audience.

Beast - CGI was better than what I expected from the trailers but still distracting. The wet Beast in the tub looked WAY off, also when he had soup on his face.

I know many liked it but I could have done without the Beast solo (Evermore). It was well sung but felt awkward to me and this was perhaps the part where the CGI really felt "weird" - the whole scene felt like it belonged in another movie.

Compared to the 1991 original - Be our Guest scene scored about 80% vs. original and Beauty and Beast dancing scene was about a tie.

Overall, I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. Remember, this is coming from a almost 50 year old, sometimes cynical man. I commend Disney for the fine job with the film and understand the financial decisions made at the expense of perhaps a few better performances.

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/beauty-and-the-beast-box-office-1202011662/

Beauty and the Beast,” the studio’s latest live-action update of a cartoon classic, waltzed its way to a towering $170 million debut this weekend, setting a new record for a March opening and solidifying the Mouse House’s status as the dominant player in the film business.

Sixty percent of ticket buyers were female, while families accounted for half of the opening weekend audience. Children under 12 made up 22% of the crowd, while people between the ages of 26 and 34, the same demographic reared on the animated film, comprised 21% of the audience.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/187967...to-become-most-successful-movie-musical-ever/

Disney’s big-screen remake of Beauty and the Beast is on track to become the most successful live-action movie musical of all time, raking in an estimated $170 million in its opening weekend.

That summer-sized box office take makes the film the most successful March opening in history, and the seventh-largest film opening ever. Internationally, Beauty and the Beast earned another $180 million, bringing the global gross to $350 million.

Directed by Bill Condon, the film can expect to overtake the highest-grossing movie musical, 1978’s Grease ($188 million lifetime gross) within days. The other top movie musicals domestically are the Oscar-winning Chicago at $170.6 million, La La Land at $149 million, Les Misérables at $148 million and Mamma Mia! at $144 million.
Well, clearly the geniuses at the Henegar Drive-In and the country of Malaysia made the right decision to ban the movie for a one and a half second gay moment that no one even notices unless you know what to look for. ;)

Sped2424

Well, clearly the geniuses at the Henegar Drive-In and the country of Malaysia made the right decision to ban the movie for a one and a half second gay moment that no one even notices unless you know what to look for. ;)
For what it's worth the moment was rather endearing! Overblown given what it was but that's the media landscape nowadays!

DonaldDoleWhip

Random thought - one of my favorite character updates has to be Madame de Garderobe. The Wardrobe was certainly a fun, friendly face in the 1991 film, but her slightly expanded role and opera-worthy vocals stand out here. My only wish is that Audra McDonald could've done a bit more singing ("Aria" & the first 30 seconds of the finale, wow), but I hope this appearance wins her plenty of new fans.

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
You should see it on the big screen. Hit up a mantinee.

Hmmm, thanks, but a matinee would be full of yelling kids and crying babies, probably. Speaking of which, my grandma once told me that movie theaters used to have "crying rooms" where parents would take their bawling spawn so they wouldn't ruin everybody else's movie experience. Do theaters even have crying rooms anymore?

Disney Analyst

So true story... both my partner and I, when we left the film yesterday, we're both like "can we just get back in line and see it again..." and my partner never, and I mean never wants to go see a movie twice in theatre. So I get home from work today, and he has tickets for us to go again tonight. Loved it just as much the second time!

mcurtiss

we absolutely loved it, despite some of my nitpicky feelings about the movie's pace. Will definitely go back for a second showing.

I was amazed at how rapt and attentive the under 7-8 yo kids were at my showing.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Hmmm, thanks, but a matinee would be full of yelling kids and crying babies, probably. Speaking of which, my grandma once told me that movie theaters used to have "crying rooms" where parents would take their bawling spawn so they wouldn't ruin everybody else's movie experience. Do theaters even have crying rooms anymore?

Any adult oriented theaters near you? We have 2 in a 20 minute drive. Strict rules on talking, texting etc. and no one under 18 without a parent and they will kick those annoying kids out! I've never had an issue even at kids movies. My kids are terrified they will be ejected from the theater, it's the only place I can guarantee proper behavior from them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom