Club 32 - World's Fair, Discoveryland, and Tomorrowland

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I think we should also start talking about Tomorrowland as well. Then we can see which rides fit which lands the absolute best.
Might be repetitive but Space Mountain, Astro Orbiter, Alien Encounter would be 3 things I think would fit in Tomorrowland.

Discoveryland feels like it deals with past and future, more literature based too...whereas Tomorrowland is specifically about the future and as crazy as it can get.

kap91

My favorite thing about the Worlds Fair and Epcot is the conceit of presentational design. It's the idea that the audience knows they're on a ride, so there's no need for absolute realism, and suddenly there's so much more you can do because you're not limited by what real environments would look like. Lots of theatre is done this way these days and you get fantastic sets and visuals like those from Wicked that you wouldn't get any other way. Think of the sets and layouts of rides like Horizons, Ellen, World of Motion, and Imagination. Even Western River was going to be largely presentational on the inside. The medium really expands. And there's no need to justify everything other than "this emotionally feels right" or "this communicates the idea effectively"

With that in mine I'd love to see something like the Magic Skyway. Its the height of presentational ideas - a concept that makes no logical sense, is obviously a ride, but still works so well (as for example, the Disneyland train still does when it suddenly views those same dioramas). It's the one attraction from the world's fair that didn't make it back to Disneyland (though the ideas were preserved) but I've always wished I could go back in time to ride it. I miss this style of attraction and design so much and it seems like it's been permenantly replaced by attractions set in ultra realistic, ultra authentic environments. It really is a shame because I think both styles are great. It's the difference between the background art of Snow White vs Sleeping Beauty. Both can be masterpieces but unfortunately only one has seen much adoption.

IMG_7319.JPG
IMG_7318.jpg

FigmentPigments

*cough* 20 *cough* thousand *cough* leagues *cough* under the sea.
I have an idea for this.

What if we had the Nautilus parked by in a "lagoon" and it would a restaurant like the Coral Reef restaurant where people can eat in different rooms of the Nautilus and watch the fish and other sea creatures swim by and divers swim in the tanks (like Dive Quest at Epcot - which is an amazing thing to do by the way). These tanks can extend next door to the queue to Atlantis

Brer Oswald

I have an idea for this.

What if we had the Nautilus parked by in a "lagoon" and it would a restaurant like the Coral Reef restaurant where people can eat in different rooms of the Nautilus and watch the fish and other sea creatures swim by and divers swim in the tanks (like Dive Quest at Epcot - which is an amazing thing to do by the way). These tanks can extend next door to the queue to Atlantis
Oh...I was going to do a ride...but that's a cool idea too.

Brer Oswald

I was thinking about Discoveryland, and I came to the conclusion that they all seem to share a similar theme (besides the obvious one) and that is that they all technically have a nautical theme. 20k, Atlantis, and even Treasure Planet kind of (with the pirates and ships). This is why I think it should be called Discovery Cove. Also, I was trying to think if we could incorporate S.E.A. when I came up with a better idea (I think). What if we give the organization it's own land? Thoughts?

MCParradox

I was thinking about Discoveryland, and I came to the conclusion that they all seem to share a similar theme (besides the obvious one) and that is that they all technically have a nautical theme. 20k, Atlantis, and even Treasure Planet kind of (with the pirates and ships). This is why I think it should be called Discovery Cove. Also, I was trying to think if we could incorporate S.E.A. when I came up with a better idea (I think). What if we give the organization it's own land? Thoughts?

Maybe the SEA could have a sub-land or neighbour land in Adventureland? That'd be a really interesting concept! Or maybe even have the SEA mythos woven into everything in our Adventureland.

I'm all on board for an overall nautical theme for Discoveryland. Generally speaking, water makes most things better!

kap91

Maybe the SEA could have a sub-land or neighbour land in Adventureland? That'd be a really interesting concept! Or maybe even have the SEA mythos woven into everything in our Adventureland.

I'm all on board for an overall nautical theme for Discoveryland. Generally speaking, water makes most things better!

The Adventureland I just posted a few days ago is entirely based on S.E.A.
IMG_0031.JPG

Extensive details here: https://www.themeparkconcepts.com/projects/adventureland/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom