Which of these should I pay money for vs dining plan

Marc Levin

Original Poster
Got a dining plan for 6 days of my upcoming 7 day trip (according to Disney nobody eats on the departure day of their trip, so you only get the DP for the number of *nights* you're staying).

So, with that in mind, I need to be a bit strategic regarding what I pay cash for vs. using dining plan credits. Just wondering if anybody could help me validate that how I'm planning this gives me the best "bang for buck", so to say?

Shutters - dinner - Cash
Raglan Road - dinner - Cash
Tusker's - lunch - DP credit 1
Kona - dinner - DP credit 2
Cinderella's Royal Table - lunch - DP credits 3 & 4 (it had better be good to justify that! :()
Garden Grill - lunch - DP credit 5
Hollywood & Vine - lunch Fantasmic package - DP credit 6

Thanks!

Last edited:

drizgirl

Got a dining plan for 6 days of my upcoming 7 day trip (according to Disney nobody eats on the departure day of their trip, so you only get the DD for the number of *nights* you're staying).

So, with that in mind, I need to be a bit strategic regarding what I pay cash for vs. using dining plan credits. Just wondering if anybody could help me validate that how I'm planning this gives me the best "bang for buck", so to say?

Shutters - dinner - Cash
Raglan Road - dinner - Cash
Tusker's - lunch - DP credit 1
Kona - dinner - DP credit 2
Cinderella's Royal Table - lunch - DP credits 3 & 4 (it had better be good to justify that! :()
Garden Grill - lunch - DP credit 5
Hollywood & Vine - lunch Fantasmic package - DP credit 6

Thanks!

Will paying cash for Shutters and Raglan Road be less than the cost of lunch at CRT? If they are both on the dining plan, I would do the math and see if it might be better to use dining credits there and pay cash at CRT.

We usually ended up paying cash at CRT because it was slightly less than the price of 2 meals elsewhere. But I'm not familiar with specific prices at the restaurants you mentioned.

KrzyKtty

I agree. Only real way would be to look at the menus and get a rough estimate of the other restaurants and work out a talley, but on first glance that seems to work out. I'm guessing your trip is soon since shutters is closing soon.

Hcalvert

I am going to piggyback on this post as well. I am also having the same problem...too many reservations and not enough credits for our 7 night stay. Below are my reservations (all dinner except the last day) in late May-early June for 2 adults and 1 child:

Day 1: Rainforest Cafe-AK
Day 2: 50's Prime Time Cafe
Day 3: Biergarten
Day 4: Chef Mickey's
Day 5: The Jungle Navigation Co.
Day 6: Tusker House Restaurant (ROL Dining Package)
Day 7: 'Ohana
Day 8: 'Ohana Breakfast

I was thinking of paying at 50's Prime Time Cafe , but I was wondering if we should just pay for the 'Ohana breakfast instead or a different restaurant entirely? My husband heard from a friend at work about 50's Prime Time Cafe and that is how we ended up with an extra TS reservation. I've scoured the menus and Disney is very vague on the pricing regarding the buffets. Thank you for your suggestions.

Last edited:

Marc Levin

Original Poster
I am going to piggyback on this post as well. I am also having the same problem...too many reservations and not enough credits for our 7 night stay. Below are my reservations (all dinner except the last day) in late May-early June for 2 adults and 1 child:

Day 1: Rainforest Cafe-AK
Day 2: 50's Prime Time Cafe
Day 3: Biergarten
Day 4: Chef Mickey's
Day 5: The Jungle Navigation Co.
Day 6: Tusker House Restaurant (ROL Dining Package)
Day 7: 'Ohana
Day 8: 'Ohana Breakfast

I was thinking of paying at 50's Prime Time Cafe , but I was wondering if we should just pay for the 'Ohana breakfast instead or a different restaurant entirely? My husband heard from a friend at work about 50's Prime Time Cafe and that is how we ended up with an extra TS reservation. I've scoured the menus and Disney is very vague on the pricing regarding the buffets. Thank you for your suggestions.

Last time we went, we did the buffets for lunch and dinner ADRs and got bad sticker shock from their cost (it turns out there's a reason they keep the price of those vague! :cautious:). Maybe they're more reasonable for breakfasts, but this time I'm not about to trust Disney with any meal for which you're not able to work out the price until you're sat down.

What I would say, is I don't believe Rainforest Cafe is owned by Disney, so you may pay less of a "premium" price for that one than Prime Time for your "pay by cash" restaurant?

Last edited:

ratherbeinwdw

'Ohana breakfast was either 26.00 or 28.00 in December. I would pay for 50's Prime Time. I believe the last time we ate there my meal was around 19.00.
'Ohana dinner was very expensive. Our bill for 5 was right at 300.00.

KrzyKtty

I would look at your estimated price based on what you would order from Rainforest Cafe or fifties prime time, and then decide which to pay cash for. We have eaten at the Rainforest Cafe quite a few times, and their food at best is okay. You're really paying for the atmosphere but the food isn't that great in my opinion.

Pleakley

One thing I've done in a crunch to conserve points is share meals with my mom, especially at signature places. We're not normally big eaters and a big steak easily serves us both. You can also pay cash for an appetizer, cheaper meal, etc. and have plenty to eat. I don't think a server has ever cared.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom