Disney to pay $3.8 million to park workers charged for their costumes

wdrive

I don't really understand and it isn't very clear. Is it talking about Key West cast members, Character Performers or all cast members in general?

raven

I don't understand why it specifically says 700 employees at Old Key West Resort?
Several areas are clumped together for management. Example Carribean Beach, Art and Pop are together in some departments. All of the photos taken by PhotoPass Photographers in Florida AND in California are actually edited backstage at DHS before being sent back.

So Key West may be included because it was under the management where this happened. Also DVC is based out of Saratoga Springs but expands property wide.

But problems like these may lie in the individual departments due to poor management. TDO does not have a firm grasp on all departments and there are several on property who's management is pretty shady and "non Disney" like. This most likely happens because VPs rarely visit those areas and only communicate via email. So CM complaints seem to fall on deaf ears until many of them have the same complaints. Only then is it even brought to attention (even if it is from local news) but by then the problems have been going on for years.

A major shake up in higher ups and even certain departments need to happen.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
But problems like these may lie in the individual departments due to poor management. TDO does not have a firm grasp on all departments and there are several on property who's management is pretty shady and "non Disney" like. This most likely happens because VPs rarely visit those areas and only communicate via email. So CM complaints seem to fall on deaf ears until many of them have the same complaints. Only then is it even brought to attention (even if it is from local news) but by then the problems have been going on for years.

A major shake up in higher ups and even certain departments need to happen.

Seems a poor excuse for something like this where it would take money out a CMs check. Something like this should be a well defined company policy. I guess someone broke that policy here.

raven

Seems a poor excuse for something like this where it would take money out a CMs check. Something like this should be a well defined company policy. I guess someone broke that policy here.
It does happen occasionally though.
Walt wouldn't have liked this ruling by the Labor Department.
Sad to say that the company doesn't follow what you and I would think would be Walt's business model anymore. It's a corporate giant that's solely run by making the most money, even if that means paying people employees less and charging people more. But they do a great job at creating the illusion of still being Walt's company. Disneyphiles with disagree but usually because they drink their Kool-Aid by the truckloads and have yet to witness anything like this first hand like I have.

TiggerDad

I don't really understand and it isn't very clear. Is it talking about Key West cast members, Character Performers or all cast members in general?
The way I read it, an OKW CM complained to DOL, who started investigating. They would start locally and then possibly expand company wide depending on what practices they found. Disney likely settled before it got that far, and promised some compensation to the broader class of workers based on what was found at OKW. Not insider info though.

WDWTank

more price increases to help pay for this and their stupidity in 5....4....3....2....1
Countdown to fun
But why would they need price increases to pay for their missteps? They made more than a billion dollars off of Star Wars 7. Cant they put that to good use?
Also, according to screamscape, this is also why we had extra experiences for more money. They need to build more rides instead of temporary, amusement park attractions such as Star Wars Launch Bay, the Short Films at Epcot, sneak peeks over at One Man's Dream for new movies that I don't want/care to see, etc.
They should be ashamed and embarrassed

WDWTank

Because that's the way the cookie crumbles (or Mickey Bar melts, in this case). Simply put, they don't want to pay out their losses from their gains.
Is the Screamscape report on the extra-money making strategy events accurate for this topic? I asked my mom, who is a physician, told me that it's all bs. She then had an idea that Disney should donate all that extra cash for charity and organizations. Really what they should do in my opinion also.

raven

Is the Screamscape report on the extra-money making strategy events accurate for this topic? I asked my mom, who is a physician, told me that it's all bs. She then had an idea that Disney should donate all that extra cash for charity and organizations. Really what they should do in my opinion also.
Wait. So instead of paying the CMs the money that was owed to them Disney should just donate it to a charity? :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom