No fanfare for the 50th anniversary of Pirates

Figments Friend

Happy to hear that the blurry mist projection of Davy Jones has been adjusted.
The last couple of times I have gone through those water he did indeed look like a fuzzy blob.

Must have been too much rum.
Glad he was straightened out!

:)

-

Phroobar

554f0f03af7d5098058d98846fafeeba.jpg

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
The projection of the squid head guy hasn't worked properly for a very long time. I preferred it that way, actually, since it seemed a step closer to being a non-movie thing. While it's in no way necessary, the "waterfall" is kind of neat as a curtain between the cave and bombardment scene. It almost seems like something that was always meant to be there. The only issue is that it constantly falls into disrepair and features what appears to be a character from Return of the Jedi voiced by Billy Mack.

Tessek_bg.jpg

If ye be brave or fool enough to face a Jedi's curse, proceed!

TP2000

Love this special:

Absolutely one of the best episodes of Wonderful World of Color! That Ambassador they had in 1967 is hysterical with her breathy presentation. But it's bittersweet that it all happened a few months after Walt passed away.

I went to Disneyland this evening to meet some family, and the youngest had actually made a reservation a month ago for the Blue Bayou tonight. Surprise!

While waiting to be seated out in the alley, I saw Michael Colglazier walk quickly past us in suit and tie with a fancy gift bag in his hand. He zipped down the alley and disappeared into the Club 33 doorway. Funny. In person he looks exactly like he looks in pictures and videos, and the second I saw him I knew who he was.

Our name was called, and we were all given Blue Bayou 50th Anniversary buttons and some Pirates trading cards and fake pirates tattoos by the hostess; I skipped the tattoo but pinned the button to my sport coat lapel for the evening and got jealous looks from the Disneyland crowds. Service from our gracious waitress was good. The whole table had Mint Juleps, and we all agreed the new recipe using cane sugar instead of corn syrup was a big improvement. Most of the table also chose the circa '67 Fruits de Mer special on suggestion by the waitress, and so glad we did. It was very good, and nicely presented. (Although the presentation was very modern looking, and not at all how that dish would have been plated or presented in 1967) The teenage boy at the table had the ribeye steak, he's already a Morton's fan, and said it was delicious. The food quality was comparable to any upscale "fancy" restaurant out in the real world, which you couldn't have said about the Blue Bayou 10 years ago. Big improvements there. It was a chatty family dinner and we didn't feel rushed, and we stayed for desserts.

After dinner we went on Pirates, of course. The ride looks fantastic. Nothing new has been added, but it all just looks great. Very crisp and clear projections everywhere, all the little effects working, moody lighting levels throughout, crisp and clear audio, fresh and vibrant costumes and fabrics and accessories on all the animatronics, very fluid animatronic movement, etc., etc. Even the loading belts, the chain lift, the conveyor belts, all seemed very smooth and silent and perfectly tuned. It looks and feels like it must have looked in 1967, which I think is most appropriate for this ride.

Left Pirates and wandered out to a very crowded Hub, but since we are a tall Swedish family we just stood against a planter and watched over the heads at the Electrical Parade which was just arriving. While I think the Electrical Parade is way past its prime, there is something very charming about that Baroque Hoedown soundtrack playing at night with a packed audience clapping along. Fireworks were also great tonight.

All in all, a crowded but fun early spring evening at Disneyland. Welcome back Pirates of the Caribbean and happy 50th!

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Absolutely one of the best episodes of Wonderful World of Color! That Ambassador they had in 1967 is hysterical with her breathy presentation. But it's bittersweet that it all happened a few months after Walt passed away.

I went to Disneyland this evening to meet some family, and the youngest had actually made a reservation a month ago for the Blue Bayou tonight. Surprise!

While waiting to be seated out in the alley, I saw Michael Colglazier walk quickly past us in suit and tie with a fancy gift bag in his hand. He zipped down the alley and disappeared into the Club 33 doorway. Funny. In person he looks exactly like he looks in pictures and videos, and the second I saw him I knew who he was.

Our name was called, and we were all given Blue Bayou 50th Anniversary buttons and some Pirates trading cards and fake pirates tattoos by the hostess; I skipped the tattoo but pinned the button to my sport coat lapel for the evening and got jealous looks from the Disneyland crowds. Service from our gracious waitress was good. The whole table had Mint Juleps, and we all agreed the new recipe using cane sugar instead of corn syrup was a big improvement. Most of the table also chose the circa '67 Fruits de Mer special on suggestion by the waitress, and so glad we did. It was very good, and nicely presented. (Although the presentation was very modern looking, and not at all how that dish would have been plated or presented in 1967) The teenage boy at the table had the ribeye steak, he's already a Morton's fan, and said it was delicious. The food quality was comparable to any upscale "fancy" restaurant out in the real world, which you couldn't have said about the Blue Bayou 10 years ago. Big improvements there. It was a chatty family dinner and we didn't feel rushed, and we stayed for desserts.

After dinner we went on Pirates, of course. The ride looks fantastic. Nothing new has been added, but it all just looks great. Very crisp and clear projections everywhere, all the little effects working, moody lighting levels throughout, crisp and clear audio, fresh and vibrant costumes and fabrics and accessories on all the animatronics, very fluid animatronic movement, etc., etc. Even the loading belts, the chain lift, the conveyor belts, all seemed very smooth and silent and perfectly tuned. It looks and feels like it must have looked in 1967, which I think is most appropriate for this ride.

Left Pirates and wandered out to a very crowded Hub, but since we are a tall Swedish family we just stood against a planter and watched over the heads at the Electrical Parade which was just arriving. While I think the Electrical Parade is way past its prime, there is something very charming about that Baroque Hoedown soundtrack playing at night with a packed audience clapping along. Fireworks were also great tonight.

All in all, a crowded but fun early spring evening at Disneyland. Welcome back Pirates of the Caribbean and happy 50th!
:inlove::)

I'm planning on making reservations for our first time at Blue Bayou this summer, and you've just made me very excited! I saw a live video recorded at DL yesterday from Micechat, and the line for Pirates looked horrible. Did you have to wait long?

Californian Elitist

I'm so glad to hear you and your family enjoyed yourselves! Your evening sounds like it went almost perfectly. :)

TP2000

:inlove::)

I'm planning on making reservations for our first time at Blue Bayou this summer, and you've just made me very excited! I saw a live video recorded at DL yesterday from Micechat, and the line for Pirates looked horrible. Did you have to wait long?

The line went up and over the bridge then through all the switchbacks, but the line shuffles along constantly and the wait was barely 20 minutes. The ride itself is 16 minutes long, so a nice payoff.

Top Tip: Send a young member of the group to wait inside the crowded and noisy little lobby at Blue Bayou. When the hostess calls your name, the kid can come get the adults waiting more comfortably out in the alley. But you can't hear the hostess calling names out in the alley, so you need a runner to wait inside.

D

Deleted member 107043

Top Tip: Send a young member of the group to wait inside the crowded and noisy little lobby at Blue Bayou. When the hostess calls your name, the kid can come get the adults waiting more comfortably out in the alley. But you can't hear the hostess calling names out in the alley, so you need a runner to wait inside.

It's probably not feasible without taking out an adjacent storefront, but it would be nice if they would expand the restaurant's waiting area. I was very surprised by how small it was given all the hype about the place. The food was good though and it's fun dining inside of a DL ride.

Curious Constance

The line went up and over the bridge then through all the switchbacks, but the line shuffles along constantly and the wait was barely 20 minutes. The ride itself is 16 minutes long, so a nice payoff.

I wonder if everyone requests to wait for a waterside table? I want to do that, but am curious if everyone else is doing that too.

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
Went on tonight. The ride is in superb shape for the most part. The clouds could have spun a little better, but it seemed to be at 100%. Everything looked great aside from the hairy leg pirate and his continued lack of leg hair and mud. The only major change I noticed was not the Auctioneer, which was the only thing rumored to be changing, but rather the guy on the bridge who says "Do ya sell her by the pound?" That guy had crazy movement. Looked like a Spaceship Earth 2007 style upgrade. I don't know why him, though.

Californian Elitist

I also went on tonight. The ride is in the best shape I've seen in a while. The sound and effects are pretty much perfect. I could finally see the moon perfectly in between the clouds, something I haven't been able to see clearly in quite a long time. Everything was just great.

Figments Friend

I wonder if everyone requests to wait for a waterside table? I want to do that, but am curious if everyone else is doing that too.

Yes, people do this frequently.
You can make the request when you arrive, but be prepared to wait a while.
Many want to have a table at waterside, too.
The average wait time I have heard from others who have attempted it is about 45 minutes.

You might get lucky and not have to wait too long depending on what time of day / year you try for it.
Try around 3pm...the 'between time' will increase your chances for a short wait.
Don't try for it during 'peak' dining times..unless you want to wait a long time.

Good luck, and happy dining!
:)

-

westie

I just got back and it was soo crowded that the line snaked all the way out of the que, all over NOS and back to HM. It was a no go. (90-110 mins) I asked if they had any 50th merch and they laughed. I did get all 4 pins and a Piece of History pin in DtD so I don't feel so bad.

pumpkin7

Have they changed one of the Jack Sparrow animatronics? One of the groups on Facebook has reported that they've changed the Jack Sparrow in the treasure room and it looks really bad. Is this true or are they just fishing for likes?

This is what they've posted;

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom