Trip Report "It's for work, I swear!"

When I have my students complete identification questions, I always make them give me the who, what, when, where, and why of the word. So that's what I’m going to give you.

Who: Myself and @lostpro9het

What: Another trip to Disney

When: March 19 – 23

Where: Pop Century

Why: Here's perhaps the most important bit of info. It's not for fun trip (yes it is). It's for work, I swear! Sean has a conference. He cannot go to Orlando without me. He just can't.

The seeds of this trip were planted around October of last year. Sean mentioned a big IT conference and said he probably wouldn't go. Fast forward to a few months ago and he's decided he's going.

First things first...I book airfare via SouthWest. Let me tell you now. I HATE FLYING. I'm convinced we are all going to die. I've been reading a book to learn strategies to help with this, so we (and you) will see how it goes.

I had to do some research regarding the Orlando Convention Center, conference hotels (not a Disney one in sight – boo), and all the costs associated with the trip. We were trying to find a hotel that fit the following qualifications: remained within the per diem, free transport to Disney or Disney Springs OR within walking distance of DS. Guess what? None of those fit.

We chose Cabana Bay Resort at Universal. I had resigned myself to the possibility of not visiting WDW. Sacrilege, I say. I wouldn't have minded staying there, but if there's a Disney alternative, I'm taking it. Fast forward to today. We were trying to arrange a shuttle to/from the airport. It was approx. $70 RT for the both of us and we'd be at the mercy of Mears. I then looked up rental car prices. They weren't bad, plus we wouldn't be reliant on the shuttle AND we could visit Disney AND have all of our Disney food choices. This is really what we wanted.

I crunched the numbers.

Cabana Bay was almost $900, plus $12 for parking.

Pop Century WITH a rental car was $793. No brainer. I canceled Cabana Bay asap and booked Pop with a car rental.

Everything (except my FP selections) have been planned.

What can you expect on this trip:
  • Me flying – yikes. I'm not as nervous as I usually am about flying, so I take that as a good sign.
  • Me driving in Orlando. - I'm taking Sean to/from the convention center. Parking is $15/day (unless someone knows something I don't), so that's not even an option.
  • Me solo at the parks – I'm going to ride some rides solo and get some character photos.
We're super-excited that we will be at Disney 2-ish weeks.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
You can wear them all day? Are they like ballet slippers? What are the soles like?

I wear them all day, almost every day. The have arch support and when the shoes get warm (from your body heat), they sort of conform to your foot. And this may be too much information, but if you have feet that sweat, they will sweat a bit in these shoes. That's not enough to make me stop wearing them. What I really like about them is that they can get wet and I can just wipe them off and they are instantly dry.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I wear them all day, almost every day. The have arch support and when the shoes get warm (from your body heat), they sort of conform to your foot. And this may be too much information, but if you have feet that sweat, they will sweat a bit in these shoes. That's not enough to make me stop wearing them. What I really like about them is that they can get wet and I can just wipe them off and they are instantly dry.

What kind of soles? I try to only wear rubber soles. I've worn other shoes with cheaper soles and I've slipped and fallen on regular tile floors (that were not wet, by the way). That happened to me twice over a period of years in a hospital where I work. Stopped buying anything that wasn't rubber some years ago.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
What kind of soles? I try to only wear rubber soles. I've worn other shoes with cheaper soles and I've slipped and fallen on regular tile floors (that were not wet, by the way). That happened to me twice over a period of years in a hospital where I work. Stopped buying anything that wasn't rubber some years ago.

They are not the rubber soles that help you not slip. They have tread, but I wouldn't say they are non-slip soles.

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
Today is the day! Flight anxiety is present, but not bad. I'm as prepared as I can be.

After we land in Orlando, we will pick up the rental car and head to the grocery for food, drink, and some small stuff. Then it's off to Pop Century! I'm hoping our room will be ready by the time we arrive. It's been a while since we've stayed in a cash room and are used to DVC check-in times.

lostpro9het

It's just about "go" time. Next stop, MCO!
20170319_125526.jpg
20170319_125531.jpg

MySmallWorldof4

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom