POR or AKL?

dmatt87

Original Poster
We are currently book for 6 nights at POR starting May 20th - we had moved over from CBR once construction was announced.

It will be me, DW and DS4 coming to celebrated DS 4th birthday and his first time.

We are very happy with POR, however we might be coming to some extra disposable income and we have a possibility to switch over to AKL.

AKL has always been on our wishlist - my wife and I regretted that we didn't stay there on our honeymoon in 2011. We don't know when we will get the chance to stay there again.

Should we transfer to AKL or stay put at POR?

21stamps

I would be in a Savanah view room with a queen bed and a bunk. But isn't the Savanah view a fun thing?

Choosing a resort is one of the most difficult and important parts of planning a Disney vacay.. so I see why it's a big decision for you.
But, if this money is a one time thing, is there anywhere else you want to go later on in the year?
Personal story- we are cruising on NCL in June, everyone I know who has stayed in the Haven, absolutely raves about it.
I went back and forth so many times over that decision, in the end- I'm cruising in the lowly steerage class. :) A Haven cabin would eat up way too much of my annual vacation budget, it's just not "worth it" to me, even though I know I would absolutely love it!! I'd rather go other places during the year as well, without going outside of my vacay budget. Wish me luck with embarkation ;)

Last edited:

MickeyMomV

I would be in a Savanah view room with a queen bed and a bunk. But isn't the Savanah view a fun thing?
We did the Savanna view room when the DS was 7 and he loved it!! At the time we were going to WDW once every 4 or 5 years so we decided to splurge. So, yes it is a bit expensive but if you can afford it I say do it!

To echo what others have said, Over the last few years we have chosen to stay value or mod because we can get 2 trips in for the price of 1 deluxe.

dmatt87

Original Poster
We did the Savanna view room when the DS was 7 and he loved it!! At the time we were going to WDW once every 4 or 5 years so we decided to splurge. So, yes it is a bit expensive but if you can afford it I say do it!

To echo what others have said, Over the last few years we have chosen to stay value or mod because we can get 2 trips in for the price of 1 deluxe.
A one-time splurge doesn't sound too bad ;)

And the next time could be in Value or Moderates - we usually choose moderates, mostly for the queen size beds.

Captain Barbossa

We are currently book for 6 nights at POR starting May 20th - we had moved over from CBR once construction was announced.

It will be me, DW and DS4 coming to celebrated DS 4th birthday and his first time.

We are very happy with POR, however we might be coming to some extra disposable income and we have a possibility to switch over to AKL.

AKL has always been on our wishlist - my wife and I regretted that we didn't stay there on our honeymoon in 2011. We don't know when we will get the chance to stay there again.

Should we transfer to AKL or stay put at POR?
Whatever you feel is the best choice!!

DisneyDad3566

The AKL is an experience, POR is a nice (Disney) hotel. I've stayed at both and had great times at each, but if money isn't an issue, the AKL will make your upcoming trip a time that stands out among others. Either way, you're at Disney and making memories that will last a life time...; enjoy!

RyPat

We finally decided to stick with POR - but I've upgraded to the Royal Rooms to surprise my wife, who really wanted to stay there... and she won't know until we open the room door! :p

Never stayed at POR personally, but i'm pretty sure you don't wake up to this there....
AKL.jpg

danheaton

I would suggest AKL, but I don't think you even need the savanna view room. If you request the right standard rooms, you can see animals and pay a lot less. Also, there are a lot of great public areas for viewing animals there too. It's worth the money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom