Shades of Green vs Value Resorts

KrzyKtty

You will only be able to make FP ressies 60 days in advance instead of 180+10. You can make adr's no problem since those aren't linked to ressies. Also, you won't get magic bands unless you choose to purchase some and add your tickets to them. You use your tickets to gain access to the parks, but only after the Sponsor and the entire party takes their tickets to the guest relations window outside the first park you want to access and has them activated. Have fun!
I might be reading your post wrong, but I didn't think there was anywhere you could make FP reservations at 180+10?

mouse_luv

I might be reading your post wrong, but I didn't think there was anywhere you could make FP reservations at 180+10?
My bad, that should've said dining ressies 180+10 sorry, I fixed it. That will teach me to not proofread lol! FP's for SOG is 30.

Stayed at SoG this past Christmas for a week and loved it. While I agree with others that it doesn't have that Disney "feel" to it, it was still quite nice. The rooms are large and comfortable. We had access to the pool right outside our patio which was great for the kids. The breakfast buffet might be the best value at Disney! The rest of the food options were good, but not great. Some mornings we waited for the bus, but most we made the short walk to the Poly and went from there. In fact, a few times we even were able to get the bellhop to take us to the main SoG entrance in a golf cart which cut the time to the Poly even further. All-in-all, if you have the opportunity to stay at SoG I'd say go for it. It may not be a Disney resort, but the room size and quiet, respectful guests was worth it even if it meant not feeling immersed in Disney 24/7.

mouse_luv

Stayed at SoG this past Christmas for a week and loved it. While I agree with others that it doesn't have that Disney "feel" to it, it was still quite nice. The rooms are large and comfortable. We had access to the pool right outside our patio which was great for the kids. The breakfast buffet might be the best value at Disney! The rest of the food options were good, but not great. Some mornings we waited for the bus, but most we made the short walk to the Poly and went from there. In fact, a few times we even were able to get the bellhop to take us to the main SoG entrance in a golf cart which cut the time to the Poly even further. All-in-all, if you have the opportunity to stay at SoG I'd say go for it. It may not be a Disney resort, but the room size and quiet, respectful guests was worth it even if it meant not feeling immersed in Disney 24/7.

Yes that golf cart is the Shady Shuttle. Walking to the Poly is the way to go!

drwadadli

Other than the booking windows for ADRs and fp what would be the better one to stay at? Most likely not going to need DME THNX
I am taking a big guess here that you are military because if not, you can't stay at SOG. That is designed only for military and military families. We have stayed at all varieties of resorts but greatly enjoy the ones on the monorail loop and POR. The value resorts are great too but remember that it might take longer to get to the parks and back.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I am taking a big guess here that you are military because if not, you can't stay at SOG. That is designed only for military and military families. We have stayed at all varieties of resorts but greatly enjoy the ones on the monorail loop and POR. The value resorts are great too but remember that it might take longer to get to the parks and back.
We've stayed at SOG but never a value and I was wondering what would be better for a no kids trip for either F&G or F&W

drwadadli

We've stayed at SOG but never a value and I was wondering what would be better for a no kids trip for either F&G or F&W
Honestly, Beach Club or Yacht Club or Boardway. Why? Because you have a back entrance into Epcot at the International Gate and if you get too buzzed then it is just a short walk home instead of a bus ride. We are staying at the Beach Club for that reason. Or, stay on the monorail loop as it is just a monorail ride to the resort (again) instead of a bumpy turny bus ride.

floridagirl57

I stayed at POP in January and SOG last weekend. SOG rooms are MUCH nicer, and huge. As you probably know, the Value resort rooms are incredibly tight. SOG has a parking garage and we had easy access to the car. Downside with SOG is transportation but you're so close to the TCC and Poly that its not a huge issue. Hands down would love to stay at SOG again.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I think the biggest difference is the beds and if you want to walk around a big resort property. SOG is compact and has good beds, but isn't going to be themed, and you'll have some extra steps with transportation. Value will have crappy smaller beds, but you'll be within Disney's bubble and the perks it offers... but you have to deal with a bigger, and louder, property.

We did AoA in a Little Mermaid room on our last me&wife trip just to experience the resort.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Honestly, Beach Club or Yacht Club or Boardway. Why? Because you have a back entrance into Epcot at the International Gate and if you get too buzzed then it is just a short walk home instead of a bus ride. We are staying at the Beach Club for that reason. Or, stay on the monorail loop as it is just a monorail ride to the resort (again) instead of a bumpy turny bus ride.
I wish but it's not in the budget:( Still broke after last year's vacation

HRHPrincessAriel

The pricing works out exactly the same for the dates, not a trick question
That's crazy! Granted I don't know the dollar amount but I feel the moderate was inline with SoG for my dad. He ended going deluxe because it wasn't a crazy amount bigger than the moderate discount. Maybe because his pay grade was larger? Dunno. Especially once he factored in what he's saved on park tickets as well.

I say trick question because larger room, smaller resort, less people, nicer quality than a value...why wouldn't you pick SoG?

If you could get a nice Hilton for the price of a LaQuinta wouldn't that be the obvious choice?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
That's crazy! Granted I don't know the dollar amount but I feel the moderate was inline with SoG for my dad. He ended going deluxe because it wasn't a crazy amount bigger than the moderate discount. Maybe because his pay grade was larger? Dunno. Especially once he factored in what he's saved on park tickets as well.

I say trick question because larger room, smaller resort, less people, nicer quality than a value...why wouldn't you pick SoG?

If you could get a nice Hilton for the price of a LaQuinta wouldn't that be the obvious choice?
That was my thinking but somebody was trying to tell me we would be missing out on so much:hilarious:

OFP-857

I love the Shades. My family and I make our way down every 3 months or so from NAS Mayport, and we stay at the Shades every time. To me, its just as much a part of our trip as the parks. I know it isn't Disney themed, but The waterfall inside is one of the things I look forward to the most, and the vibe of the place is relaxed and tranquil.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I love the Shades. My family and I make our way down every 3 months or so from NAS Mayport, and we stay at the Shades every time. To me, its just as much a part of our trip as the parks. I know it isn't Disney themed, but The waterfall inside is one of the things I look forward to the most, and the vibe of the place is relaxed and tranquil.
Welcome aboard and I'm also a waterfall lover:joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom