Club 32 - Fantasia, Fantasyland Project

kap91

Ok so since we both seem to really be attached to the idea of a theater that becomes separate ride vehicles. Let's figure your a way to do that.

We know the theater itself will be set up like an observatory (what about taking inspiration from a planetarium?)
IMG_3020.JPG

I just went to my first a few days ago and I was really enamored with it.

A seating in the round theoretically could be comprised of pie shaped pieces without the tips, surrounding a central scene object. There would have to be dividers or at least empty space between seating sections for safety - and getting the ceiling to blow apart would be tricky with a domed screen. But I think it is technically feasible in this form factor. Would be insanely expensive but good thing we're not limited by budget lol.

I'll see if I can draw up some ideas tonight of how that might work. Lots of problems to solve.

MA Screamin'

Original Poster
Fantasia in every land? Like in Frontierland? lol I haven't seen the movie in a long time, but are their any western scenes.

This idea reminds me of S.E.A. -- we could place Fantasia "hidden mickeys" and clues throughout the park that build a cohesive story together.

Yeah, a little bit like S.E.A. but not as explicit! When I finish "2000" I'll share what I mean!

spacemt354

Chili's
Ok so since we both seem to really be attached to the idea of a theater that becomes separate ride vehicles. Let's figure your a way to do that.

We know the theater itself will be set up like an observatory (what about taking inspiration from a planetarium?)
View attachment 193761

A seating in the round theoretically could be comprised of pie shaped pieces without the tips, surrounding a central scene object. There would have to be dividers or at least empty space between seating sections for safety - and getting the ceiling to blow apart would be tricky with a domed screen. But I think it is technically feasible in this form factor. Would be insanely expensive but good thing we're not limited by budget lol.

I'll see if I can draw up some ideas tonight of how that might work. Lots of problems to solve.
Interested to see the direction of this. I love planetariums so anything involving those intrigues me. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

MA Screamin'

Original Poster

View attachment 193761

Hell yeah! You're a genius... so then when they go to enter the ride, they all align and enter through the "portal..."

Oh my god, I'm insane. Could we do a trackless water ride too? If we're really gonna go big or go home, we could be trackless and then hit a water scene for the climax, end with the one last blow to Chernabog or whatever, and it's the greatest plummet ever created by Disney... so then what about space?

So the ride stays underground and then it ascends for the sake of the splash, but where?

Thank God for Blue Sky :hilarious:

kap91

I'm so sure about trackless - perhaps partially trackless and partially tracked. The theater segment at least would need mechanical stability so that all sections would lock together and not move at all.

Working really quickly here's some sketches of what I'm thinking. You have pie shaped vehicles that dock in a round formation. No side walls but each has seats set fairly in from the edge - this ends up function as walkways and buffer space. Hopefully you follow what I'm saying.

The actual water level is beneath the theater floor and not visible just because of the height of floor and there being no seams. In theory once broken apart the water would become apparent.

There would of course be multiple theaters for capacity and loading time reasons.

I'm just going to post pics. Sorry that my sketching ability is so awful.
IMG_3058.JPG
IMG_3057.JPG
IMG_3056.JPG

MA Screamin'

Original Poster
@kap91 You're at a great point right now, far from poop :D Just keep going and you'll soon see the results you want!

But yeah, I was thinking partially, depends on the scene we are trying to recreate for the track and trackless debate. But your concept is pretty fantastic!

Running multiple theatres would be hard, or I suppose not if they were aligned properly. Because the key is that after the "portal" open/x it's an immendiate transition, so we'd texhincially have to build the same opening scene three or four times and have them all intersect at the second scene, right?

@spacemt354 I'm finishing 2000 soon, you havent finished Fantasia yet, right? Just lmk so we can try to construct a narrative! I really don't want it to feel like a tour through a film, but a new interpretation of all of them!

spacemt354

Chili's
@kap91 You're at a great point right now, far from poop :D Just keep going and you'll soon see the results you want!

But yeah, I was thinking partially, depends on the scene we are trying to recreate for the track and trackless debate. But your concept is pretty fantastic!

Running multiple theatres would be hard, or I suppose not if they were aligned properly. Because the key is that after the "portal" open/x it's an immendiate transition, so we'd texhincially have to build the same opening scene three or four times and have them all intersect at the second scene, right?

@spacemt354 I'm finishing 2000 soon, you havent finished Fantasia yet, right? Just lmk so we can try to construct a narrative! I really don't want it to feel like a tour through a film, but a new interpretation of all of them!
I saw it a long time ago but actually have some sorcerer mickey artwork as of like january:bookworm:

kap91

If you build the theaters in the right orientation they can all open to the same large scene. Kind of how the back to the future had many separate loading rooms that all opened to the same screen. You can see me alluding to that here.

IMG_3057.JPG

In this case that's four theatres opening to two duplicate scenes and then unifying to one route after that. There's a lot of ways it could be done.

And also thanks. Major insecurities around my art skills.

MA Screamin'

Original Poster
If you build the theaters in the right orientation they can all open to the same large scene. Kind of how the back to the future had many separate loading rooms that all opened to the same screen. You can see me alluding to that here.

View attachment 193777
In this case that's four theatres opening to two duplicate scenes and then unifying to one route after that. There's a lot of ways it could be done.

And also thanks. Major insecurities around my art skills.

Me too bro, such prominent insecurities. That's why I focus so much on writing when I should be strengthened in both.

In terms of capacity, wouldn't that be a lot of vehicles at once? It sounds great, but I just wanna ask these questions. It just seems a little congested. Mind you that yeah, I want huge buildings, but unless it's like Mickey's summoning an army (which now that I mention it could be interesting, if it's not too action movie-like), that many vehicles seems unappealing. What do you think?

spacemt354

Chili's
Keep working at it, man, you're great at drawing too!

Can I challenge you to try drawing scenes for this? I'll be picky just because I may see something a certain way, but what'd ya say, pal? :)
Absolutely!

The only thing I ask is if you can be as descriptive as possible with your vision before I start drawing it lol -- because there is no "undo" button with hand drawn art...it's a "redo" button:hungover::hilarious:

kap91

Me too bro, such prominent insecurities. That's why I focus so much on writing when I should be strengthened in both.

In terms of capacity, wouldn't that be a lot of vehicles at once? It sounds great, but I just wanna ask these questions. It just seems a little congested. Mind you that yeah, I want huge buildings, but unless it's like Mickey's summoning an army (which now that I mention it could be interesting, if it's not too action movie-like), that many vehicles seems unappealing. What do you think?
We should talk a bit privately...:)

I'm not really sure. It's all very early right now. It would depend on timing, size of theater, etc. right now it's varying 4-8 medium size vehicles. Rides like Test Track operate in groups of four, splash mountain operates with many vehicles nearly back to back. It's a timing thing. Loading a theater will take a long time, and then the actual show happens, and then there's the time it takes for a new theater to reassemble. You want that total cycle time to be such so that as soon as the vehicles from the previous theater have all dispersed, another theater is ready.

If this ride operates like test track or splash there's only about 15 seconds between vehicles. That means a group of 8 would take 2 minutes to convert from theater to single file. If the tracked portion of the ride is designed like a normal tracked ride (and not setup with show stops) then every 15 seconds after that 2 minutes is in essence wasted capacity a vehicle could be using. Since a theater will probably take at least 2 minutes to load, and have a 2 minute show, and take 2 minutes to fully reassemble 4 theaters is basically the minimum you'd need for maximum capacity. But like i said that's all sorta hypotheticals. Our system would probably be designed to be at least a touch more efficient.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom