Tokyo Disneyland/Sea expands!

BrianLo

Finally!! (I've personally been waiting 7 years for this day).

tokyo-disney-resort-expansion-39.jpg

RandySavage

^Back burner for now, it seems.

While I like the ambition of the original Fantasyland plan - it would have transformed some areas of the park that could really use aesthetic improvement - you can see how much easier this new plan will be for Park Operations. Until they're ready to take down the Starjets and build Belle's Cottage in its place, most of the work can be done behind the above walls and be minimally-intrusive. The first plan would have dug up more central parts of the very crowded park.

Regarding DisneySea, the space slotted for Frozen isn't actually that big for a whole port, and hemmed in by the monorail. I envision OLC bumping the monorail out a bit into the hotel parking before developing that last plot (as they bumped the perimeter road for BatB), making it a more long-term project.

SweetDuffy101

Original Poster
Whatever happened to Frozen? I know Alice in Wonderland was cancelled.
Frozen is still in the blue sky proccess theyre still waiting for the sequel to be released due to the fact TDR has a special event that represents all things frozen i dont think that they will cancel he area and there will be a new area specified for the new scandanavian port right in the middle of Arabian Coast and Lost river delta.The tentative opening for the area is around 2021 to 2023.

Daveeeeed

Frozen is still in the blue sky proccess theyre still waiting for the sequel to be released due to the fact TDR has a special event that represents all things frozen i dont think that they will cancel he area and there will be a new area specified for the new scandanavian port right in the middle of Arabian Coast and Lost river delta.The tentative opening for the area is around 2021 to 2023.
Makes sense and it will help keep people coming back for new things as well instead of having it closer together. Not as good for the guest, but it seems to be a good business decision.

BrianLo

I'm holding out hope TDS' 20th provides motivation for a 2021 frozen opening.

There is no logical reason 2021 isn't achievable. They've been hashing out these plans forever, and even if it's expanded to the parking lot/in between Lost River Delta and the Arabian coast, it's a very easily accessible plot. Especially with construction staging for B&TB.

I'm just impatient for these things to start coming on board. Especially now that we are 3 years delayed.

ThemeParkTraveller

I'm also hoping for something much more substantial for TDS's 20th (I hope they don't think a Soarin' clone is enough). This past 15th was very disappointing, with no new major additions (even the 10th added TSM and Fantasmic). Speaking of which, Fantasmic is getting a little long in the tooth. I read a few years back that internal data actually showed it underperforming with guest expectations and that OLC were itching to get rid of it for a show with minimal (if any) performers. It seems OLC really liked the success of Steve Davison's OUAT and that a future nighttime show for TDS could possibly be World of Color (which was the original plan before Fantasmic).

I just spent the last three days here ( Tuesday Wednesday Thursday ) . It's my 7th time visiting and most likely my last . Park was guesstimated to be 49 percent full which I guess means three hour waits for rides and 1 hour and a half wait for stuff like popcorn . It's just become way too crowded and just one big disappointment for my wife and kids . Plus with shanghai being opened now it's actually easier , quicker , and cheaper for us to fly out of the country ( we live in Japan ) and go to the china( or even Hong Kong ) resorts .

SweetDuffy101

Original Poster
I just spent the last three days here ( Tuesday Wednesday Thursday ) . It's my 7th time visiting and most likely my last . Park was guesstimated to be 49 percent full which I guess means three hour waits for rides and 1 hour and a half wait for stuff like popcorn . It's just become way too crowded and just one big disappointment for my wife and kids . Plus with shanghai being opened now it's actually easier , quicker , and cheaper for us to fly out of the country ( we live in Japan ) and go to the china( or even Hong Kong ) resorts .

I guess right now is not the good timing to go the parks especially at Tokyo Disneyland with the Closing of couple of attractions(Small world,Grand Circuit and the other half of toontown) and contruction on going.

Yeah , Small world, splash mountain, roger rabbit ride in toon town , raceway completely gone and there was one other thing that was closed too but I can't remember the fifth thing at the moment .

Personally, I don't think I'll ever go back to TDR.

cheezbat

Sounds like the Magic Kingdom everyday lately. I hate going to that park. (At least Epcot Studios and DAK are never anywhere near as busy.)
These super busy castle parks need new stuff...and they sure can't manage with multiple attractions closed at the same time.

yeah I was floored to see so many things closed on a day with over 85 percent capacity . Tokyo Disney parks need to build a third park or pretty much double the size of the parks for me to ever even THINK about going to Tokyo again.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes

Shanghai Disneyland is "just" one park that is also crowded with substantially less to do and see to begin with (and that's with everything being open). I enjoyed Shanghai Disneyland very much but I don't see how that be would be any better.

Shanghai Disneyland is "just" one park that is also crowded with substantially less to do and see to begin with (and that's with everything being open). I enjoyed Shanghai Disneyland very much but I don't see how that be would be any better.

So you Have been to Shanghai? When ? Did you go on not busy days ? Weekends? Holidays? ect ect. I would like to know . Did the Days you go on have Bad weather ? Was the wait times over 3 hours ? long for food like tokyo ? I think/hope things are dying down a little on non holiday weekdays in China now that the park has been opened for over 6 months. I know the first several months that SHanghai was opened it was pretty crazy I went in January ( the 9th ) on a weekday and it was not very busy and in the evening it was raining not hard but a drizzle that lasted most of the evening. It had Very acceptable wait times ( Im okay with 40 minute waits just as a FYI ) never braking the 40 minute wait. If you went to Shanghai in 2016 then I think you may have went when it was busy due to it being newly opened ? no?

NOT Busy days are still crazy busy at Disney Tokyo Resort and that means Disney resort is pretty much busy everyday . Not so for Shanghai or Hong Kong (you did also see me say Hong Kong too , right ? Im sure you did as you only pointed out Shanghai . which means you agree with me on Hong kong then ? ).

Im planning another family trip for Shanghai Disney land after Chinese New Years. Im told the park is not so busy at that time

Im learning that NOT SO BUSY is a rather relative term for Disney these days and not the same meaning that I understand it to be , LOL. I mean I read that 48 percent of the park would be filled by those crowd calendars and then I go and I see hour waits just for taking a fast pass ticket or hour waits for just popcorn or 3-4 hour waits for the main rides.

To me that is crazy busy .

I usually go to the Orlando parks or California Parks every February instead and they are not so crazy.

In any case if you are right and I just got lucky , I wont be going to Shanghai anymore either. I will just go to Hong Kong

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I have been to Shanghai, I went the first week of December since I was told that was low season in China. Weekdays were perfect, low to decent sized crowds, weekends were crowded so we left the park and enjoyed our hotel and went to do some sightseeing. Download the app, I check the wait times every now and then out of curiosity and it is not uncommon to find triple digit waits on attractions on the weekends, especially Soaring. I'm returning again next month so I'm curious to see if it's still the same.

Tokyo Disneyland has always been known for crowds, but I have never personally witnessed the overpacked conditions I see on the internet. I've only been to Tokyo Disney Resort a couple more times than you, including Christmas and Halloween seasons and I did not find the crowd levels to be extraordinary with the exception of Saturdays. I've been in early January a couple of times and both parks are practically deserted (although with significantly reduced operating hours).

Hong Kong Disneyland is a very nice park and uncrowded, but small. I've only visited as a side trip after going to Tokyo, I wouldn't make a special trip just for HKDL yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom