Castle Name Origins

DisneyMuffinMan94

Original Poster
Hi guys, I've been thinking about Sleeping Beauty Castle recently. I've heard from several places that the act of naming it for Sleeping Beauty was a promotional act for the upcoming movie. I've been hearing this for quite a while and have heard that it is documented somewhere. Does anyone know where this is documented? Or if it is wrong altogether?
Thanks!

dweezil78

Hi guys, I've been thinking about Sleeping Beauty Castle recently. I've heard from several places that the act of naming it for Sleeping Beauty was a promotional act for the upcoming movie. I've been hearing this for quite a while and have heard that it is documented somewhere. Does anyone know where this is documented? Or if it is wrong altogether?
Thanks!

Well, the castle has been named Sleeping Beauty Castle since day 1 -- although I've heard some people say it was named that a little after opening. Whether or not there's any documentation of the intended tie-in, the movie was currently in development at the time Disneyland opened, so it obviously makes sense that they went with that as the name (along with it's similar appearance to what was in the movie).

Here is a hard-to-read (but you can see if it you look close) map from the 1955 souvenir guide where you can see it was already named Sleeping Beauty Castle. See #12.

4562298-7756487-thumbnail.jpg

GiveMeTheMusic

Original plans called for it to be named Snow White Castle. Someone (likely Walt) saw an opportunity to get ahead of the game in promoting Sleeping Beauty, which was still in development/production. Hence the name change.

Phroobar

Original plans called for it to be named Snow White Castle. Someone (likely Walt) saw an opportunity to get ahead of the game in promoting Sleeping Beauty, which was still in development/production. Hence the name change.
Was the wishing well added after the park opened?

GiveMeTheMusic

Was the wishing well added after the park opened?

The wishing well opened in 1961 after Walt received the marble statues from Italy as a gift. The wishing well area was created to accommodate the statues. Snow White is the same size as the dwarf statues, hence her placement at the top of the embankment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom