One Year Old Tips- finger foods & hotel sleeping

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Hi everyone. We leave in 8 days!!! My oldest daughter is 5 and my youngest turns one tomorrow. I have two questions in regards to our baby. First, we just ordered a bunch of stuff from Target and Walmart and mailed it to All Star Sports- formula, diapers, wipes, baby food etc. My one year old has *just* started eating finger food (like a nibble or two here and there). What are your favorite options in Disney as far as finding foods appropriate for this age? At home we do tiny nibbles from a fruit cup (pears/peaches) or little bits of cheese. Have you seen fruit cups in Disney? If we are at a QS location that has burgers or sandwiches can I ask for a piece of cheese on the side? She also loves toast so if its a sandwich place, can I ask for a piece of toast? How much would they charge for this? She also really loves Yo Baby yogurt right now. Are there any healthy, whole milk yogurts any where?
And finally, she still wakes up during the night occasionally. Any tips for dealing with that in a tiny hotel room? We are renting a full size crib so hopefully that helps her feel more at home.
Thanks!

Weather_Lady

Finger food availability will totally depend on the location. I'd suggest using the touringplans "Search for Menu Items" tool if you are looking for something specific, like a fruit cup or yogurt (both of which are very common "snack" items or children's menu choices, so you shouldn't have trouble finding them, although I don't know that the yogurt would be full fat) or toast. https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/dining/menus I would imagine that places that commonly serve toasted sandwiches (e.g., Columbia Harbor House in the MK) would be willing to make some toast for you, but YMMV depending on how busy they are and the particular CM from whom you're ordering.

When my kids were that age, they really loved the sorts of things you'd find on a toppings bar or salad bar (e.g., sliced mushrooms, sliced black olives, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese) so TS buffets and CS places with toppings bars like Pecos Bill or Cosmic Ray's (both in MK) would have been places toward which we'd gravitate.

As for waking up at night... all I can suggest is that you do whatever works at home to soothe your baby, and to make the environment as familiar and home-like as possible. (If your child sleeps with a particular night light, white noise maker or soother at home, bring it with you.) Also, even if it slows down your touring a bit, let her get out of the stroller or carrier and toddle around a good bit each day so she'll be sufficiently tired at night. Good luck and have a great trip!

carriebeth

Just returned from WDW with a one year old. He eats everything, however, so he just shared off our plates. I don't think you will find anything like whole milk yogurt as the focus, as far as healthy goes, is on low fat items for kids. Most of the fruit is fresh fruit rather than canned type, too. I doubt most places have toasters where they can toast bread for you. I doubt many places even have slices of bread to toast. You would find more hotdog or hamburger buns than bread. The places that have bread are more likely to have thicker types rather than simple slices. You should probably plan on bringing all her food.

dreamfinder

You can get loafs of bread at many of the resort stores (I know DVC ones carry, not sure if All Stars will) but as @DisneyJoe said, there is a toaster in the food court that you can use. Pack a few plastic containers or baggies, make some toast in the morning, and then carry it with you for later. They should also have cheese, at the worst a block, but once probably the pre-sliced portions as well. So if you resort doesn't have these in the store, you could stop at one of the DVC resorts to get them.

No CS location will be able to take any food you bring to prep/toast (health issues), and most won't have anything beyond what is on their menu. TS locations should have a bit more flexibility. You may want to look into grocery delivery from WeGoShop or GardenGrocer, and buy what you think she would eat. You will have a mini fridge in room, so having yogurt, cheese, etc delivered should work. Just bring a cooler of some sort and stuff to package the food and possibly an ice pack (or container to fill with ice at the resort).

MagicalMommy

I traveled to WDW when my son was a week from one and also 1.5. If you are doing buffets, you'll find lots of good options like cheese, boiled eggs, bread/muffins, fruit, etc. I've seen fruit in the quick service locations as well, and a lot of the bakeries/dessert stations will have muffins and croissants. Have you ever used those plastic disposable placemats from Target? They're really convenient for putting a little food out for the baby to pick at.

As for sleeping, bring a white noise machine or download a white noise app. This will help others in the room not hear the baby waking and/or your movement to tend to him.

Finally, I'm sure you've read about baby care stations at the parks, and restrooms have changing areas. You might want to bring disposable changing pads or a towel to put down - or maybe that's just me! One more tip (okay, two) - pack two park bags, one with all things you need that can be left with stroller (no valuables) and a smaller/lighter one with essentials/valuables to take into lines and attractions with you. Also, consider an Ergo/carrier for lines when you have to leave the stroller behind. Have a great time!

md0u80a2

Did with my then 9 month old in the summer - be he ate like a 12 month old.

You can buy from amazon a great hand powered food blender - breaks up fruit, cheese, fish, etc to make baby meals and we used buffets - fruit everywhere we just let him munch on and lots of soft fish, etc.

For toast, for the sake of ease, why not bring or buy a $10 toaster that gives you so much freedom!

As for sleep, he did very well - they have a stowaway crib, but we got the full and it was very comfortable - but we bleached everything just in case!

The key was characters - oh my, he loved them so much!!! His only problem is he couldnt understand why they wouldnt pick him up!

ZimZim

How was the full sized crib? My LO will be 16 mo old - too old for the pack and play mattress to be comfy for a week. Considering renting a crib or having a pack & play mattress shipped down.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
How was the full sized crib? My LO will be 16 mo old - too old for the pack and play mattress to be comfy for a week. Considering renting a crib or having a pack & play mattress shipped down.

Just posted in your other post. We LOVED A Baby's Best Friend. Highly recommend them!

DiSnEyF@n

In regards to sleep, I would almost guarantee that your 1 year old will sleep quite soundly. With all of the stimulation during the day, I'm certain he'll sleep pretty good at night... However, you know your baby best and anything can happen on vacation.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Our one year old slept terribly. She thought Disney would be a fabulous time to sprout her top two front teeth. She'd wake up crying every night, for hours at a time. I would take her outside so she wouldn't wake hubs & the 5 year old. I walked around All Star Sports more than any person should :p

DiSnEyF@n

Our one year old slept terribly. She thought Disney would be a fabulous time to sprout her top two front teeth. She'd wake up crying every night, for hours at a time. I would take her outside so she wouldn't wake hubs & the 5 year old. I walked around All Star Sports more than any person should :p

Awww poor baby and you...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom