News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Phroobar

I wonder if the people walking pass critter country will be viewable from the Mark Twain. It's like the path is right next to the river. Too bad that path couldn't have been elsewhere. It looks like we will see people pretty far into the back country. I guess they all disappear immediately after the Hungry Bear restaurant.

Professortango1

Professortango says otherwise.

Nope, just said things like Haunted Mansion are not considered "IP" attractions since they do not draw from an IP property. They created their own IP when they created it, but the ride wasn't based upon a pre-existing IP nor has it incorporated anything from any IPs not associated with specifically the Disney theme park attraction. Everything created is IP, but not all are IP-based. IP Based implies the attraction is based upon a pre-existing property and is expanding upon that. While the Haunted Mansion may be cloned at different parks, the clones do not expand upon the Haunted Mansion brand. There's no sign above Tokyo's Haunted Mansion which reads "Inspired by the ride 'The Haunted Mansion' at Disneyland Park."

The Mur

That "3rd" story seems to just be over the stair well which is probably emergency access and also goes to the roof. The two main "floors" each appear to be about 2 stories high which makes sense if the ride is going to be on two levels. The basement is still a real mystery to me.

Old Mouseketeer

EDIT: The video is having a lot of trouble loading on my computer, but you can just click ahead on the timeline to see more.
At 2:31...getting real up close and personal with that show building.

At the very beginning, the platform/roof at the lower left corner appears to be the new security shack for Winston Gate. This is the CM entrance for CMs coming from Ball CM Lot or CM parking at M&F. It's also the vehicle entrance for trams to access the new motor pool (Transportation Center) back by Ball Rd.

BTW, my rebel spies are telling me that pedestrian access for guests through Ball Lot is closing soon. Currently pedestrians can walk down West Place from Ball Rd., enter and cross through Ball Lot, go up the stairs to the second floor of M&F (Daisy--with no elevator), traverse the walkway at the East side of Daisy, then down the escalators or elevator to the tram loading area. I've heard different effective dates from different CMs.

Old Mouseketeer

Do we think Mickey and Friends will be hidden again by the time the ROA reopens??

That's a long way off--I'm guessing 12-18 months. Even when the Alcatraz show building is fully framed and covered, I think it will still be visible, at least from a distance, like from Riverbelle. Ultimately it will be the tall rock spires that will be the final layer of concealment. We'll no more when we see the scale model, hopefully at D23.

Curious Constance

More from yensid 55. Lots of fascinating detail work occuring, like making a metal hand rail appear to be a wooden one.

That video was enjoyable. I like that guy and his daughter. So cute.

When they were using the crane to position metal beams for the vertical construction, the construction worker was on the second level and had to walk to the middle of the beam to help position it in place. Did he have something on in case he fell?!

HauntedMansionFLA

also this.
SWL-Aerial-Paths.jpg
Great picture. It gives us an idea how massive the project is, how its taking shape and the railroad / ROA area looking good.

Disney Analyst

That's a long way off--I'm guessing 12-18 months. Even when the Alcatraz show building is fully framed and covered, I think it will still be visible, at least from a distance, like from Riverbelle. Ultimately it will be the tall rock spires that will be the final layer of concealment. We'll no more when we see the scale model, hopefully at D23.

I just can imagine Disney leaving it as is... you can see it from the rivers edge.

Practical Pig

It's amazing to me that all the ROA rock work is currently being painted by hand.

I'm a pretty good hand at smaller-scale scenic painting, and the nuances of the top textural effects of the paint job really need to be detailed by hand brushwork. But have the base coats of paint also been applied by brush? If so, that seems like a waste of labor.

I was at first amused that they are using the cheapest white bristle brushes available. I mostly had to use those for budgetary reasons, but they really are a good tool for this sort of work. They don't hold much paint at once, but you can roughly scrub them into the concrete texture, and when they get all funky from the abuse, they get more useful for certain blending effects. And in my case, they were better for my blood pressure when my assistant just left them unwashed to dry.

4 incher.jpg

Practical Pig

That video was enjoyable. I like that guy and his daughter. So cute.

When they were using the crane to position metal beams for the vertical construction, the construction worker was on the second level and had to walk to the middle of the beam to help position it in place. Did he have something on in case he fell?!

I like their videos too. They help me make more sense of what I'm looking at.

At about the 9:15 mark in that video, when the worker walks out onto the horizontal beam, you can see he's attached to a fall protection cable that is clipped to, and travels along another cable attached to the beam itself. It's a little hard to see at that point, but if you look at the close-up shot of them positioning the beam just before then, you can see the cable attached to the beam more clearly.

Curious Constance

I like their videos too. They help me make more sense of what I'm looking at.

At about the 9:15 mark in that video, when the worker walks out onto the horizontal beam, you can see he's attached to a fall protection cable that is clipped to, and travels along another cable attached to the beam itself. It's a little hard to see at that point, but if you look at the close-up shot of them positioning the beam just before then, you can see the cable attached to the beam more clearly.

Phew! Thanks!

TP2000

New update!

More rocky goodness for the new northern perimeter of Frontierland and Rivers of America. My gosh that's going to be a HUGE change in scenery there!

We'll need to create a separate thread for the re-Imagineered Frontierland and reborn Rivers of America and Disneyland Railroad, probably later in the spring. But for now it remains the sleeper hit of this massive Star Wars project.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom