AMD Ryzen

Jahona

Original Poster
So I know there are a few tech and PC gamers on this forum. AMD has finally taken the covers off it's newest CPU lineup.
  • Ryzen 7 1800X: 8C/16T, 3.6 GHz base, 4.0 GHz turbo, 95W, $499
  • Ryzen 7 1700X: 8C/16T, 3.4 GHz base, 3.8 GHz turbo, 95W, $399
  • Ryzen 7 1700: 8C/16T, 3.0 GHz base, 3.7 GHz turbo, $329
I've been in the market to replace my aging AMD 1090t system from 2010. With video production on top of gaming the price for performance mark is very intriguing to me. I'll still have to see independent benchmarks to know how this compares to current Intel offerings, but everything so far looks good. It's nice to finally have an AMD chip that can compete in the high end market.

Full article and release info.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11143...or-under-330-preorder-today-on-sale-march-2nd

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It is nice to see AMD finally competing again and in this case, winning. Seems like they have been playing catch up since the days of the Intel Core2Duo.

Jimmy Thick

Ryzen is a massive fail for gamers.

All the benchmarks from unbiased sources show the top of the line 1800X gets put to sleep and gently kissed on the lips by the I5 6600k, which is still the best value CPU on the planet. If you have a workstation that can use the extra cores the new AMD processors have, I would take them in a heartbeat because they are great and cheap, but if you're not using all 8 cores, Intel is still king, and always will be.

AMD, with all the hype and bluster Ryzen had the past 4 months, all they did was update the old FX line for gamers, avoid Will Robinson, AVOID.

Jimmy Thick- Intel for your CPU, Nvidia for your GPU, accept no substitute.

Jahona

Original Poster
Back in 2010, when I built my current system, AMD released their 6 core Phenom 2 processors to compete with the original Core i Series. I went with AMD at the time with the 1090t because it was great for the freelance work I was doing. Fast forward 7 years and if I wasn't at an agency right now, and was building again for personal, I would jump at AMD's 1800x. In synthetic tests it pulls ahead with the multithread score being fairly high but for gaming it can't compare to any of the last few years i7s and only manages to barely go toe to toe with the i5s that are $300 cheaper.

I'll think I'll hold off a little longer and wait for Intel's Coffee Lake series to release in Q2. From their last earnings call they are looking at a 15% increase in performance over Kabylake and Skylake. I don't feel like waiting for their 10nm Canyonlake chips sometime next year.

I do wonder if Intel will keep with the same core count as they have been with the last series or trickle down the 6 cores into the main stream market.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

All the benchmarks from unbiased sources show the top of the line 1800X gets put to sleep and gently kissed on the lips by the I5 6600k, which is still the best value CPU on the planet. If you have a workstation that can use the extra cores the new AMD processors have, I would take them in a heartbeat because they are great and cheap, but if you're not using all 8 cores, Intel is still king, and always will be.

AMD, with all the hype and bluster Ryzen had the past 4 months, all they did was update the old FX line for gamers, avoid Will Robinson, AVOID.

Well I do use all 8 of my cores :)

Jahona

Original Poster
Well I do use all 8 of my cores :)

Honestly if I was doing more production work at home I could easily max out all 8 cores as well. I used to joke during the winter I was heating my office just off of the CPU.

We still have to wait and see if the 5 and 3 series of chips releasing later will have better single core performance. Honestly if AMD can release a 4 core with HT at a base clock of 4.0 ghz we might see a bigger improvement for gaming.

Another thing to note is that Ryzen isn't playing nice with DDR4 at the moment. It's limited to a max of 2666 mhz, anything higher becomes unstable.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I noticed that myself. Seems like the review on Tom's Hardware had to tweak the crap out of testing parameters to get AMD to come out on top and that was just barely.

It looks like it would be a great CPU for video rendering, but so far, that is about it.

Jahona

Original Poster

Yeah.... I guess I'll wait till Coffee lake comes out later this year. Intel is promising 15% performance increase this time instead of 1%. Although it's still the same 14nm architecture.

AMD released a blog post a few days ago about gaming with Ryzen and a it was a lot of "we see this happening but it's not true" especially in regards to SMT and thread scheduling. These things were reported by several independent reviewers so it's curious they deny the problems. Also no mention of addressing DDR4 ram issues.

I have read that games that can utilize all 8 cores tend to have smoother overall fps but Ryzen still lacks on max and average fps.

Jimmy Thick

Whats disappointing is how AMD positioned Ryzen to be a true Intel replacement. Its not and it drives me crazy they can't be honest.

Ryzen is a great 8 core cpu, its great for serious workloads like Cinebench which actually use 8 cores. The dame 1800x is a $500 dollar chip and performs comparable to Intel 6950x which is a $1500 chip. The Ryzen is about 5-10% slower which is meaningless when its a thousand dollars cheaper.

You would be a complete fool, a true dunce if you don't take the Ryzen chip if you run serious workbench applications. There are no issues or very little if you're using all 8 cores.

But for gaming...

There are several benches where a stock I5 6600k is getting better benchmarks. AMD says turn off this turn off that and guess what, unless you get someone who knows there way around a motherboard and not afraid of the process AMD can get away with this, but most people, the average PC user does not want to mess with that stuff, they want to use their PC/game right out of the box, or build it and go. Throw in the big fat fact most applications barely use two cores, hence why Intel still rules oem PC's, and AMD hyping these 8 cores processors for the masses is a bit mystifying. This is where I'll personally never get AMD's business decisions.

AMD can have a great niche' market, as a cheaper alternative to Intel, they make good GPU's, the 480 after the kinks is a good value card, they can own this market yet keep shooting for stars they will never reach, and its disappointing, like finding out your parents are Santa Clause.

Sorry for the rant but I want to root for the little guy to win, as an PC gamer/enthusiast, we all should.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
It was disappointing, but I was really more interested in seeing what Naples will be able to do. We'll see how it performs in the real world. Ryzen not measuring up to the hype, and the AMD response isn't terribly encouraging.

Jimmy Thick

gIp742P.png

I'll wait for actual benchmarks on those six cores but not get my hopes up. Hopefully AMD will get this launch under control.

Jahona

Original Poster
Ryzen is a great 8 core cpu, its great for serious workloads like Cinebench which actually use 8 cores. The dame 1800x is a $500 dollar chip and performs comparable to Intel 6950x which is a $1500 chip. The Ryzen is about 5-10% slower which is meaningless when its a thousand dollars cheaper.

Everything I've seen is the chip is on par just about with the 6900x on both benchmarks and workstation demos not the 10 core 6950x. But Intel's chip at the moment is better optimized which helps. AMD is to new at the this time. We might see it perform better than the 6900x in the months to come once both AMD and software developers take advantage of the new architecture.

Jimmy Thick

Im such a hypocrite.

Just built a Ryzen 1600x system and loving it, loving it to pieces. The gaming is buttery smooth and my Twitch stream has improved tremendously.

Just a word of warning, my GPU is a GTX 1080ti so I don't know what lesser cards perform like, and my mobo needed a new bios right out of the gate, it was not plug and play, but Im plesantly surprised how well this CPU is killing it.

Jahona

Original Poster
Im such a hypocrite.

Just built a Ryzen 1600x system and loving it, loving it to pieces. The gaming is buttery smooth and my Twitch stream has improved tremendously.

Just a word of warning, my GPU is a GTX 1080ti so I don't know what lesser cards perform like, and my mobo needed a new bios right out of the gate, it was not plug and play, but Im plesantly surprised how well this CPU is killing it.

Oh they aren't bad CPU's by any stretch of the imagination. They just don't crush Intel like a lot of people were hoping AMD would do right out of the gate. Intel's higher clock speeds still help it's per core performance but you do get hiccups at times as a trade off. AMD has smoother lower settings.

Jimmy Thick

. AMD has smoother lower settings.

Le what?

Ryzen is performing better at 1440 than Intel on a lot of applications and games. Intel still dominates 1080p. There is an abundance of benchmarks on almost all hardware related sites to confirm this, and performance benches on Youtube as well.

Ryzen or AMD in general will never beat Intel at single core performance unless Intel goes out of business. The lower your performance settings the more the advantage goes to Intel.

Jahona

Original Poster

Sorry it's the allergy medicine. My mind thought I had completed that sentence. AMD has smoother overall frame rates but usually lower average fps. Intel see's a higher average fps but a well documented random dips. I'm still interested in seeing what the 1800x can do as the platform matures. It's going to be a while longer before I can build again anyways. Computer fund went into emergency house repairs. Just more time for the platform to grow and mature.

Jahona

Original Poster
One of the other things with Ryzen is that it initially had poor O.C. support for ram. Most people were finding anything over 2400 wasn't stable and this was hitting performance hard. I'm not sure if there was a chipset update or if official 3200 ram was released for Ryzen but with the higher clocked ram a lot of benchmarks that originally had a good gap between AMD and Intel closed up a bit more.

Voxel

President of Progress City
My how many things have changed over the last few months. Ryzen is much more viable than at launch with Micro-code updates and bios updates fixing much of the RAM issues and gaming performance. While I am a gamer, I'm also a developer and the Ryzen 7 platform might be my desktop. (Though I'm liking what I see with threadripper right now).

Johnny Three-hats

Just recently upgraded to a Ryzen 5 1600 from my FX 6300, and, after the headache of getting it installed and ultimately upgrading to Windows 10, it's working like a dream. It hasn't had too big of an impact on the native games I play (though, I gotta say, playing Overwatch feels smoother than it used to, but that might just be placebo effect), but emulation has gotten much, much easier with more demanding games. Actually, the initial push to upgrade for me was being unable to play Ratchet and Clank very well. Lo and behold, now that everything's installed, the game runs at full 60 FPS about 80% of the time with 3x native resolution. I know I'm pleased with the purchase. Solid performance, didn't need to spend a ridiculous amount.

Keep on busting the Intel hegemony, AMD.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom