Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
My thoughts as my alarm went off at 2:30 this morning for the third day in a row? Why am I doing this? And man, it takes forever to get dressed for a Disney race.

And who took the Do Not Disturb card off my resort room door last night? :mad: Why? Why would you be soooo cruel? I'm going to need DAYS of undisturbed sleep after this.... :(

Good luck to all my peeps running this morning! *thumbs up*

Swissmiss

Premium Member
My thoughts as my alarm went off at 2:30 this morning for the third day in a row? Why am I doing this? And man, it takes forever to get dressed for a Disney race.

And who took the Do Not Disturb card off my resort room door last night? :mad: Why? Why would you be soooo cruel? I'm going to need DAYS of undisturbed sleep after this.... :(

Good luck to all my peeps running this morning! *thumbs up*

I did think of you as I was leisurely drinking my coffee this morning a bit before you would have woken up and I decided in solidarity I'd try to fit in a run this morning :angelic: Now, several hours later, I've "only" managed to eat breakfast and make cupcakes. :banghead: Where did the morning go? :( Since I don't even need to do a quarter of what you're doing, maybe I can still get it in and get showered before I have to bring my daughter off to an activity, even if there will be no bling at the end of my run ;)

Hope your race was awesome and your feet are still willing to carry you. I remember after running the DLP half (my first) of all the aches and pains the worst was my feet - until I had a shower and a rest.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I did think of you as I was leisurely drinking my coffee this morning a bit before you would have woken up and I decided in solidarity I'd try to fit in a run this morning :angelic: Now, several hours later, I've "only" managed to eat breakfast and make cupcakes. :banghead: Where did the morning go? :( Since I don't even need to do a quarter of what you're doing, maybe I can still get it in and get showered before I have to bring my daughter off to an activity, even if there will be no bling at the end of my run ;)

Hope your race was awesome and your feet are still willing to carry you. I remember after running the DLP half (my first) of all the aches and pains the worst was my feet - until I had a shower and a rest.

Thanks @Swissmiss. They are estimating 26,000 runners for the Half. A Dow had to delay the race start by 5 minutes so the runners can get to their corrals - all 16 of them!

LAKid53

Premium Member
Completed my first Glass Slipper!

Half was 3:50. And yes, @Swissmiss, I still have my feet...but they're not too happy right now, lol.

Here's the bling...

20170226_113439.jpg

LAKid53

Premium Member
Pink shirt with flamingo socks. PrincessHalf lol

Unfortunately the picture doesn't show those in their full glory. The number of guys running who willingly allowed their wives/girl friends to dress them up as "man princesses" made me laugh.

Great race. Little brisk and windy in the AM....found the heater near the entrance to my corral...and stood in front of it.

surfsupdon

Unfortunately the picture doesn't show those in their full glory. The number of guys running who willingly allowed their wives/girl friends to dress them up as "man princesses" made me laugh.

Great race. Little brisk and windy in the AM....found the heater near the entrance to my corral...and stood in front of it.
Running up World Drive into that strong head wind was fierce!

LAKid53

Premium Member
Running up World Drive into that strong head wind was fierce!

I didn't enjoy running on the slick Boardwalk yesterday. Surprised I didn't see anyone slip and fall. One of the ladies in the pack of runners I was in took a nasty fall as we were running down World Way towards the water bridge this morning. I hope she wasn't hurt too badly and was able to finish.

dreamfinder

Another quick question about the kids races. I see they're being run both Friday or Saturday. Do you just show up whichever day you want to run or are you assigned a day? If they're assigned, is there By way to find out which day in advance if getting their bibs?

My daughter (4) is running for the first time (200 yd dash), but the logistics are tricky. My wife is running the 5k on Friday and running a school function on Saturday, so either way, I have to take my daughter for her race. If it's Friday, I need trequest the day off and bring her out after I drop her older brother off at school.

Also, since the dashes start at 9:30, what's the latest we can (or recommended to) check in/show up? 9?

Well, the race weekend has already happened, so this is more a reply for posterity than anything else. You are assigned the day you registered for. When you signed up you had to pick a day. There is no real check in the day of, as long as you have your bib you are all set. I'd suggest showing up before the first dash start time, with the way they sometimes set the course it may not be easy to get to once other dashes are under way.

TDGMedley

I have a question about kids dashes. I read you can run by your child. My son with be 4 1/2 and my daughter will be 3 at the end out the week we are there. So you ya'll run with your kids or have one parent at the finish line?

dreamfinder

I have a question about kids dashes. I read you can run by your child. My son with be 4 1/2 and my daughter will be 3 at the end out the week we are there. So you ya'll run with your kids or have one parent at the finish line?

You can do either. The bottom of the kids bib is a tear off "Child Claim Check", so if you aren't running with them in hand, make sure to take that off so you can collect them from the finish area. In Jan my DW had one hand and I had the other so all 3 of us were on course at once. I'd say it really depends on your child. How well they do in crowds, how likely they are to get sidetracked by the character on course (usually have at least one as "motivation") etc.

Greenlawler

Wife and I took a slow pace on the 10k, but not walking. Finished right at an hour and ten.

Wife decided to stop for every character at the half, I did not like that idea so we went our separate ways for day 2.

A lot of things went wrong for me Sunday :) but I was still very proud of this one.

First off I left my running watch at home, thought I had it and when I woke up Sunday I could not find it. That always costs me at least two or three minutes, because I have yet to figure out how to keep a steady 9:00 pace without constantly looking at my watch. I cannot tell you how much this drives me crazy.

Second I underestimated how cold I would be once we got to the race, and overestimated the time it would take for us to get there lol. We were there so early because the bus lines at our hotel were so long for the 10K that we decided to leave earlier for the Half, mistake. I froze my butt off, and then they delayed the race so people could get there.

Then the race started.

Hurt my foot at mile 2, yes mile 2.....:( first time I have ever had that bad of a mishap so early in a race, I've had pulls and strains late in marathons before but never at mile two. Not sure what happened. But I thought if NFL players can play a season with injuries I can run 11 miles. I was able to run at a good pace but it hurt, and by mile 10 I was limping.

About mile 7 the 2 hour pace team passed me. This was a major discouragement for me personally as I have not finished above 2 hours in four years, and it's kind of this important mental barrier for me. I tried to stay with them for about a mile, but just could not. At that point I considered stopping and waiting for my wife to catch up and just running with her. This one was a struggle. I was frankly just out of shape and limping. But something came over me and I got inspired around mile 9. I was like "dangit, Im not getting sub 2 but I'm going to get close." I think "Fight Song" came on my iphone at this point.

I proceeded to take the last four miles by the horns. I ran a 2:02, not my best time obviously and about five minutes off my target, but I was proud nonetheless.

I actually limped towards the medals feeling just as proud as any other race I had run.

I could barely walk the rest of the day.

BTW Wife took a picture with every character and finished at 4:35, she spent more time in line for characters than she did running lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom