New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

TTA94

While I do enjoy RoL especially for the no IP factor, I feel they should have, or should still, gone back to the drawing board. So much more they could have done. Sadly I feel it ended up the way it did due to budget reasons.

CSJORDAN

I caught it tonight. Interesting to say the least. The pre show music and lotus floating 5 minutes prior was more interesting. The show itself is a borefest. Probably one of the worst i have seen outside of Jungle book. To its credit, the visuals are amazing but that is pretty standard at Disney. I did like the floating animals but there seems to be something missing from the overall show. The finale, there is none. We sat there for about 2 minutes until the cms said goodnight lol. No one clapped, it was very faint. I am glad i saw it tonight, i do not need to see it again. Waste of time, period. I feel let down after looking forward to this since it was announced. I understand its a metaphorical show, it's horrible

I believe this is a little extreme. While I have not seen the show, I have watched it on YouTube and I believe that while the finale isn't grand by any stretch, it is clearly there. Will see for myself in May.

disney4life2008

I believe this is a little extreme. While I have not seen the show, I have watched it on YouTube and I believe that while the finale isn't grand by any stretch, it is clearly there. Will see for myself in May.

Seeing it in person vs. YouTube is much different. The finale is there, however, it is not obvious. The we are the world song (?) that plans in the middle of the show should be moved to the end. The end of the show makes you want more. And there is a delay of about 2 min before the announcement is made, thank you for visiting.

coasterphil

I don't think it's extreme at all. I posted the exact same thoughts a few pages earlier based on my and the crowd's reaction. No one moved or reacted when the show ended, only when they started the goodnight announcement did people realize it was over.

Will we ever know exactly how much the tech issues limited what they wanted the show to be? I have a feeling people are giving the show designers a pass by blaming everything on needing to rework the show on the fly due to the tech not working, but maybe the show wasn't ever going to be that strong to begin with.

Last edited:

Brenthodge

I don't understand how the finale doesn't seem final. It might not be explosive, but it clearly seems like "it's the end". I've not seen it in person so maybe it would read different there. Maybe the problem is 1) the lights on the floats and even the fire come back on right after the blackout making it seem like something else is about to happen and 2) before you get to the finale, pretty much every trick they have has been played. With the exception of the fire tower, weve seen it all and there no " hold back till the end"

garagely

Seeing it in person vs. YouTube is much different. The finale is there, however, it is not obvious. The we are the world song (?) that plans in the middle of the show should be moved to the end. The end of the show makes you want more. And there is a delay of about 2 min before the announcement is made, thank you for visiting.

This is true. People around me didn't seem to realize when the show was over. I wasn't even sure if it was over, so I sat there waiting until the recording came on thanking us for seeing the show.
Please don't listen to any of these unwarranted negative opinions of Rivers of Light. 99% of the people that post here nowadays are nothing but bitter, jaded, haters. This is the greatest nighttime show Disney has created since Reflections of Earth. There are no valid criticisms of this show because the dislike all stems from the fact that anyone who hates it has a basic taste and lack of appreciate for the masterpiece it truly is.

Nope. Not bitter, jaded or a hater. I liked the show but I had a few critiques. Doesn't make my opinion invalid.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

This is true. People around me didn't seem to realize when the show was over. I wasn't even sure if it was over, so I sat there waiting until the recording came on thanking us for seeing the show.

Nope. Not bitter, jaded or a hater. I liked the show but I had a few critiques. Doesn't make my opinion invalid.

Honestly, the lotus popcorn bucket for $16.99 the lady had in my row was more exciting. People lined up for 2 hours prior to see the show, i would be livid. The problem is that you expect a major water show, that it is not. Its rather confusing. They should have just brought WOC to AK. Now that is a water show.

disney4life2008

Please don't listen to any of these unwarranted negative opinions of Rivers of Light. 99% of the people that post here nowadays are nothing but bitter, jaded, haters. This is the greatest nighttime show Disney has created since Reflections of Earth. There are no valid criticisms of this show because the dislike all stems from the fact that anyone who hates it has a basic taste and lack of appreciate for the masterpiece it truly is.

You are jaded! Obviously you have never seen world of color, that is the most amazing water show Disney ever created. To say rivers of light is amazing since ROL shows your novice observations.

disney4life2008

I don't understand how the finale doesn't seem final. It might not be explosive, but it clearly seems like "it's the end". I've not seen it in person so maybe it would read different there. Maybe the problem is 1) the lights on the floats and even the fire come back on right after the blackout making it seem like something else is about to happen and 2) before you get to the finale, pretty much every trick they have has been played. With the exception of the fire tower, weve seen it all and there no " hold back till the end"

Yes. As i mentioned, they did all the finale rype stuff in the middle. Looking at the lotus fire is not exciting.

disney4life2008

You are quite right, I haven't seen the most overrated water show in Disney parks history. So until I do I will go to my grave claiming ROL is the greatest show Disney has ever created. Deal with it

I disagree unless your critiques are valid, not just "OMG the show sucked!! Worst experience ever!!

I could care less what anyone else thinks. Rivers of light is horrible, period! However, I fully support people wasting a fp or waiting in line 2 hours before to get in so I can enjoy the park.

disney4life2008

You are quite right, I haven't seen the most overrated water show in Disney parks history. So until I do I will go to my grave claiming ROL is the greatest show Disney has ever created. Deal with it

I disagree unless your critiques are valid, not just "OMG the show sucked!! Worst experience ever!!

BTW, just like you probably looked at a YouTube clip of rivers of light, you can do the same for world of color. Look at the last 5 minutes and compare to ROL. There is no comparison lol

FigmentJedi

I could care less what anyone else thinks. Rivers of light is horrible, period! However, I fully support people wasting a fp or waiting in line 2 hours before to get in so I can enjoy the park.
4261964-the+man+with+no+taste.jpg

Magic Feather

The biggest problem with this show is wrong expectations.

1- No fireworks! (Which I heard five people describe the show as to people who didn't know... Like themselves)
2- The Focus is on the floats, not what comes out of them
3- WOC is impossible on Discovery (I believe this has already been explained)
4- There were some admitted concept shortcomings from Day 1
5- This is meant for Animal Kingdom, not Magic Kingdom Animal Edition.
6- There is a net positive reaction thus far.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Over dramatic much?

You like it. That's fine. Others don't.

So until I do I will go to my grave claiming ROL is the greatest show Disney has ever created
Saying things like this won't help your cause much.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If people hate or are totally unimpressed with RoL, that's perfectly fine. There are crazy people out there who don't like chocolate for Peter Pan's sake!!

I've seen the video, and I'm sure I'll like it when I see it (three shows already scheduled for my trip the beginning of March). Based on the videos, I can see where it can be improved, but the lack of perfection most likely won't take away from my enjoyment of what's there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom