News Caribbean Beach Expansion

TeriofTerror

I think that omission confirms DVC is coming. They probably don't want to mention it until their marketing blitz for Wilderness has been exhausted.
I agree. And I think they are waiting until they upgrade the resort with the "new waterfront dining and retail shopping areas" so that they can justify costs and point values in line with the other DVCs.

Kamikaze

I think that omission confirms DVC is coming. They probably don't want to mention it until their marketing blitz for Wilderness has been exhausted.

My thoughts exactly. The confirmation of new rooms at Coronado but no mention of them at Caribbean means that the ones at Caribbean are DVC.

I think you need air quotes around "details" as there aren't many.

Did they put this out now because of all the CBR transportation talk?

No, I think they put it out because they are going to break ground on the Coronado side of things soon and just threw the Caribbean line in there to explain any work going on at CBR without having to announce DVC yet.

Kamikaze

Disney wouldn't do that now would they? ;)

While we know that some Disney CMs are assigned to read sites like these, I very much doubt they tell the people who make announcements like this what is being discussed. Something like this is planned well in advance and the gondola stuff only came out yesterday.

Rteetz

While we know that some Disney CMs are assigned to read sites like these, I very much doubt they tell the people who make announcements like this what is being discussed. Something like this is planned well in advance and the gondola stuff only came out yesterday.
Yes the plans are thought out way in advance but I wouldn't be so confident to think that Disney plans to announce news like this so far in advance. 5PM in Florida on a Thursday is not the most ideal announcement time....

Ripken10

Yes the plans are thought out way in advance but I wouldn't be so confident to think that Disney plans to announce news like this so far in advance. 5PM in Florida on a Thursday is not the most ideal announcement time....
I think you all are going a big too far in thinking Disney would announce this because of this information that was found with the gondolas. While Disney may have been trying to keep it quite, it also didn't hurt them that it got out either. They are getting a lot of good press with this right now...and most would argue any press is good regardless. This week is working out well for fans of Disney, but I would argue right now it is working out well for Disney as well.

Kamikaze

@lentesta knew it was coming today, so clearly it was planned at least of when he posted the tweet asking if they had announced it yet.

Also don't forget the person writing the piece and doing the release likely works in CA, so mid-afternoon for them which is a pretty usually announcement/press release time for businesses. Doing it after stock market close also limits any spike changes in stock price.

I agree. And I think they are waiting until they upgrade the resort with the "new waterfront dining and retail shopping areas" so that they can justify costs and point values in line with the other DVCs.

I would still think pricing at a CBR DVC would have to be among the lower on the scale. It doesn't have anything directly attached to it, so it would be most akin to Old Key West, which is basically at the least 4-5 points cheaper per night.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
True, mention new amenities that will likely be built to entice DVC. I think this also confirms that these two resorts will move into the deluxe category in Disney's eyes to help justify deluxe pricing and Deluxe DVC pricing.

The existing CSR and CBR or the announced additions? I've never stayed at CSR so I cannot speak about the resort, but as currently configured, CBR is not a deluxe resort...room square footage and other aspects. Few details given about what the water front dining will be, but Shutters cannot be considered the level of dining you'd find at a Deluxe resort.

Unless Disney is looking at Uni's model for resorts - upper level deluxe with Hard Rock and Porofino and mid level with Royal Pacific and Sapphire Falls. Frankly, I've always considered POR a much better resort than CBR.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I think you need air quotes around "details" as there aren't many.

Did they put this out now because of all the CBR transportation talk?

This is their version of "taking out the trash" as we called it in politics. Drop a big story to help cover up another. Well, this is more like burying the trash but it's an apt comparison I think.

RandySavage

I deplore the general state mid-rise hotel architecture (it's been almost entirely awful since the takeover of modernism, post-WWII), so I'm not too happy at the idea of these things popping up all over WDW property.

The innate problem to a themed mid-rise is that hotel/residential buildings from early/pre-20th Century time periods typically being portrayed (such as Old Mexico (Coronado), Caribbean (CBR), Italianate (in the case of Four Seasons), etc.) rarely, if ever got into double digit stories. Historically-tall(mid-rise or high-rise) hotels came in the late 19th/early 20th in major cities of America (European urban hotels were still lower rise for the most part). Ironically, the one themed hotel where Disney could have created something that echoed the lost class & beauty of Jazz Age mid-rise hotels, they hired Graves who created a post-modernist eyesore (DLP's Hotel New York).

So when you build a 15-story block tower with a period roof and some ornamental dressing, you end up with big tacky slabs, like the Guest Wings of Las Vegas' Paris or Caesar's Palace hotels. For most of its history WDW designers & operators understood this, which is why all Disney hotels were relatively low (saving the Contemporary). Depressing to see the new hotels follow all the outside operators that litter Orlando & WDW (and every place in the world) with more standard, everyday mid-rise slabs.

The moderates have never been architectural masterpieces of themed design. But their low stature allowed the miracle of nature to help frame and beautify them, and thus provide a modicum of escapism. Adding big central hotel mid-rises will make them feel a lot less transporting and authentic to the period. I also worry about the sight-lines from within EPCOT or on the Safari.

Last edited:

Ripken10

This is their version of "taking out the trash" as we called it in politics. Drop a big story to help cover up another. Well, this is more like burying the trash but it's an apt comparison I think.
that would be to silence bad press. They had this planned. Disney is not getting bad press for the Gondola information getting out

Kamikaze

that would be to silence bad press. They had this planned. Disney is not getting bad press for the Gondola information getting out

The other part of that is that the gondola discussion on sites like this one isn't going to just disappear because they announced this. This isn't a news network where they can only cover one big story at a time.

jpeden

In the Parks
No

I understand that. I get the meaning. It's also used to hide stories and distract. I personally believe they dropped this to distract from the chatter.

Ripken10

I understand that. I get the meaning. It's also used to hide stories and distract. I personally believe they dropped this to distract from the chatter.
Why? Why would Disney want to distract from that chatter. They would want to do that after the Aligator issue last year, but not this. This isn't hurting Disney at all.

Kamikaze

I think you greatly overestimate how much 'chatter' something like the gondola permits actually creates. It not like its a real news story. Disney fan sites covered it and the Orlando locals, but its not like its getting national attention.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom