New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

SorcererMC

Yeah the large lotus looks nothing like that lol nor do it's water effects. Sad.

Didn't they switch it out for the one with fire? Admittedly I probably haven't seen all of the concept art for it, nor seen the show in person....but I'm going with the theory that the show is conceptually based on the shamanic tradition, with four elements of earth, wind, water, fire. I think the concept art matches the show rather closely; it's fine if you don't think so.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

So how will this work with park closing at 8 and the the second show starting at 8:30. Woulda been nice if they could of extended hours till 8:30.
I'd assume the same way DHS runs Fantasmic after the park is closed, with HS you go down a backstage path out of the park. For ROL they will probably just have cast blocking off all lands and only have a path to exit the park.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the show looks great, but there is an an underlying issue that cotinues to occur and this show is not exempt from it. I believe some of the "heated discussion" stems from the fact that Disney continues to over promise, then under deliver, and they take far too long to deliver it. Now, before anybody slaps a doom and gloom sticker on me, allow me to explain.

I agree with your premise.. except for where the hype came from. It came from fans pumping themselves up... as it typically does with any show/ride that has an incredible lead time. People have framed this shown down in scope many times.. some just want to keep believing otherwise.

TiggerDad

I'd assume the same way DHS runs Fantasmic after the park is closed, with HS you go down a backstage path out of the park. For ROL they will probably just have cast blocking off all lands and only have a path to exit the park.
I'm betting that some stores are still open to assist those guests who still have room left on their credit cards.

choco choco

Show reminds me most of Braviseamo (thank you, one tokyo-goer) - suffers the same problem as Braviseamo and even the new Fantasmic at TDS can't overcome. The show is too small, and the lagoon is too large. Or the lagoon is too large, and the show feels small in it.

It suffers from scale problems, basically. Too few elements. Too much empty space between too few elements. Too much distance from the too few elements to the audience. I'm kinda scratching my head on why they put the water screens so far back. They already put them too far back in World of Color and should have learned. This feels much further. Perhaps bring them forward to shrink the performance area, make it feel less empty? This would also reduce throw height of the water, resulting in a clearer image.

The show didn't know conceptually what it wanted to be. Too many chefs. One chef wanted more of a light and projection show - WOC style. One chef wanted more of a water parade. They tried to combine them (a fine and legit idea) but didn't seem to have the resources to do either justice. The light and projection parts don't seem to be enough to sustain its own show (WOC suffers from this as well). And the water pageant potential is essentially wasted. The movement of the boat floats is poor throughout, with what seems like really inelegant, almost non-existent choreography (maybe its cause they move too slow?).

The show is in the same tone the whole way through. Monotonous. Get some more musical movements in there (think Beethovan symphonies). I think more should have been done with the shadow puppet idea. Fog would go a long way in filling the negative space and float a seemingly soft, luminous color across the entire "stage". More animal floats, and the animals on them definitely need movement (animatronic animation) to complement the lighting effects. Show definitely needs to make more things come alive.

There's a seed of a show and I'm just putting trying to put in some constructive suggestions. There's a theme, which is more than can be said for a lot of nighttime shows (WOC, for instance, mostly goes in for spectacle and sensation). It's not "Universal Cinematic Spectacular" which is unsalvageable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom