Pre-Trip Thanksgiving/Birthday 2017 (Somewhat Live)

I'm finally going back!!! I haven't been to Disney World since 2008, and I have missed it so much. Growing up, my family would go every few years, but that stopped once I started college (my younger sister and I never had matching spring breaks again). This is my first Pre-Trip Report (or Trip Report in general), so I'm asking for both patience and suggestions.

Who: There will be at least three of us on the trip. Me (Liz), my best friend (Katie), and her boyfriend Josh. While I am the third part of that relationship (literally, both of them have told me this on different occasions), we've put the word out among our friends and siblings that the invitation is there if they want to join us. I'd love it if my little sister could join us, especially since we live in different states now, and I can't really imagine a trip to Disney without her.

Where: Because we're young adults who haven't struck it rich quite yet, we're probably staying in Pop Century, or possibly Caribbean Beach Resort (if there are 5 of us).

When: Late November 2017 (We formerly considered September).

How: I recently managed to talk Katie into flying, instead of a 17 hour, nonstop road trip. I recently drove to Texas with my sister to move her to her new home, and I am looking forward to never driving 20 hours again (will that probably happen again? Yes, but I don't want it to be anytime in the near future). [Edit- she just told me that she and Josh were trying to figure out how to talk me into flying; lesson learned, nobody wants to drive from Ohio to Florida]

What: Day 1: Traveling/swimming/exploring Disney Springs/dinner at a restaurant (Narcoossee's, Sanaa, Ohana, or something at DS)
Day 2: Magic Kingdom
Day 3: Parkhopping between Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios
Day 4: Epcot
Day 5: Parkhopping between Universal and IOA (we're big Harry Potter fans)
Day 6: Travel

And now for the big stuff. Like I said before, I haven't been to Disney since 2008. Katie hasn't been since 2012. It's been about 10 years for Josh too. There have been a lot of changes in that time. Magic Bands, FP+, dining plans, price hikes, new rides... Yeah. It's different and exciting, and we can't wait to try it out.

We're thinking we may want to try the Regular Dining Plan. What are the best ways to get our money's worth? Also, what are the best value hotels? Sports looks pretty nice.
Any recommendations would be much appreciated. :happy:

206334_1007892230918_5885_n.jpg

16 year old me on my last trip in the now-torn-down Streets of America :(

(edited 1/23/2017)

Last edited:

I am Timmy

10 months until we leave for Orlando!!! :joyfull:
How am I feeling? Excited. One of my friends was down there last week and visited Universal... which made me super jealous.

Epcot is going to be one of the two most expensive days of the trip (the other being Universal). Between eating and drinking around the world (sharing some snacks of course) and trying practically everything in the Harry Potter sections of the Uni parks, the prices will add up quite a bit.
So happy for you! We love Harry Potter, too. We always go to Uni first, then Disney whenever we go to Orlando. Last trip my DS talked me into getting a robe (120.00 +tax), so I had to take a "test" to see which house I am in. So many people wear robes, it's fun. Also, the interactive wands are about $40-$45 each. If everyone in your party isn't interested in owning one - just buy one and everyone can share it at the wand sites.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
So happy for you! We love Harry Potter, too. We always go to Uni first, then Disney whenever we go to Orlando. Last trip my DS talked me into getting a robe (120.00 +tax), so I had to take a "test" to see which house I am in. So many people wear robes, it's fun. Also, the interactive wands are about $40-$45 each. If everyone in your party isn't interested in owning one - just buy one and everyone can share it at the wand sites.
I'm a Hufflepuff (badger pride), so I definitely will be getting some sort of merch. Maybe not a robe, but possibly a sweater. What house were you sorted into?

I am Timmy

I'm a Hufflepuff (badger pride), so I definitely will be getting some sort of merch. Maybe not a robe, but possibly a sweater. What house were you sorted into?
Hufflepuff! Got the robe, tie, scarf, and lanyard. My DS 24 is a Ravenclaw, so he got everything blue. We were there in Nov., so wearing a robe, tie and scarf wasn't as hot as it could've been! We wear our stuff at home when we watch the movies, too (I know, we're nerds) so we get more use that way.

amjt660

Premium Member
Hi Direwolf

Very late to the party but following along now.

I commend your patience with your family and friends.
Being a hardcore planner it would drive me batty if you do not even know who is going!!!

Much earlier in the thread you mentioned the dinning plan.
Here are my 2 cents.
We have used it over the years and have witnessed first hand the minimizing that has occurred. (tip not included, appetizer dropped, )
Right now you get an non-alcoholic drink, entrée and dessert for a table service.
My family enjoys appetizers and usually do not eat a lot of desserts ( food allegories - soy, milk, chocolate- does not help)
Also my daughters (20 and 21) like to order salads as a meal - so we end up with a lot of wasted food because everyone has to order an entrée.Or worst I overeat to compensate.

So for us it is a no go on the dining plan
But that is just us - I know some people who still get there monies worth

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
You are from Ohio??? Get a house scarf
We purchased a complete set for the four of us
I am Ravenclaw, youngest is Gryfindor, oldest is Slytherin and my wife is Hufflepuff.
We did not take the test though - just based it on personality traits.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Hi Direwolf

Very late to the party but following along now.

I commend your patience with your family and friends.
Being a hardcore planner it would drive me batty if you do not even know who is going!!!

Much earlier in the thread you mentioned the dinning plan.
Here are my 2 cents.
We have used it over the years and have witnessed first hand the minimizing that has occurred. (tip not included, appetizer dropped, )
Right now you get an non-alcoholic drink, entrée and dessert for a table service.
My family enjoys appetizers and usually do not eat a lot of desserts ( food allegories - soy, milk, chocolate- does not help)
Also my daughters (20 and 21) like to order salads as a meal - so we end up with a lot of wasted food because everyone has to order an entrée.Or worst I overeat to compensate.

So for us it is a no go on the dining plan
But that is just us - I know some people who still get there monies worth

Max

You are from Ohio??? Get a house scarf
We purchased a complete set for the four of us
I am Ravenclaw, youngest is Gryfindor, oldest is Slytherin and my wife is Hufflepuff.
We did not take the test though - just based it on personality traits.
Oh that's so funny how that worked out! I need my sister to take the Pottermore test, but she took a Buzzfeed quiz that broke the houses down by percentage (yet it was filled with leading questions that made it obvious what house you'd be sorting into), and she was mostly Gryffindor (I was still Hufflepuff, yay!)
A hat or scarf (or both) would probably be used the most for me lol

I think we're going to go against the dining plan. I've been trying to do the math, and we would be losing money with it... unless we saved most of our credits and turned them into snack credits at Epcot. But that's probably not happening. If we were going during a free dining period, we would probably consider it, but not at the price it's currently offered at.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
So, this has nothing to do with my November trip, but it does have to do with the trip after it.

One of my friends (not going on this trip) has been planning a Disney wedding with her boyfriend for the past 2-3 years. Yes, boyfriend, not fiance. They both have all of the details planned for this thing without being officially engaged, but my friend has told me that they'll probably get engaged after they buy a house.

Well, they're currently looking at buying a house, and a couple days ago, my friend accidentally found his diary... and found out that he intends to propose sometime this year. :joyfull:

I'm really looking forward to that trip, whenever it happens, because a) I love weddings, b) I love Disney, and c) I love my friend and cannot wait to see her (we live in different states). Also would like to really start being a part of the wedding planning, instead of just looking at potential bridesmaid dresses, or bachelorette ideas.

I know that you have to plan the wedding a year in advance, so I'm hoping her bf proposes within the next few months ;)

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Katie and I are starting to figure out FP+s... 7 months early...
This our Day 1 plan if Magic Kingdom opens at 9 AM:
  • Getting to the park early to spend time on Main Street USA
  • First ride: Haunted Mansion
  • FP+ 1 (in the 9-10 range): Peter Pan
  • FP+ 2 (in the 10-11 range): Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
  • ADR Lunch at 11 for Be Our Guest
  • FP+ 3 (in the 11:30-12:30 range): Space Mountain
We're assuming that we'll be able to do a lot of Fantasyland without any FastPasses (at least that's what I'm guessing based on the MDE app). If we need to backtrack, so be it.

I need to check, but can you book the 4th FP after you check into the 1st? Or does it have to be after you've checked into the 3rd? Fingers crossed, Jungle Cruise will be our 4th FP (hope to get it after 1:00). After that, who knows. We'll probably need them for Splash and Big Thunder too.

Also on my list of things to do that morning is to finally meet Gaston. I have 6 characters that I want to meet at Disney this fall: Tigger, Mickey, Gaston, Chewbacca, and Anna & Elsa. Tigger and Mickey are for tradition's sake (I know that I've gotten pictures with Tigger for at least 3/6 trips, and I'm sure that I've gotten a picture with Mickey on every trip, just need to find the evidence). Gaston and Chewie for the novelty. Anna & Elsa will probably be the easiest due to the low wait times. I think the only character that Katie is interested in meeting is Mary Poppins.

When it comes to shows, I am definitely interested in seeing the Muppet shows. I hope we can see both of them, but time will tell. Country Bear Jamboree and Tiki Room are also must-sees. I'd like to see the parade, but I know we won't be lining up for it early.

The trip is still so far away, but I'm glad we're getting some of the planning done now :)

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Trying to get a headcount for the Disney trip by the end of the weekend, even though I don't think we really need to book a hotel for another month. Katie's just getting anxious about it :( We're definitely still at 3 as the minimum, not sure what the max is at the moment.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
After reading several trip reports of September vacations, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a November trip. While I can handle a certain amount of humidity, a lot of posts make it sound almost unbearable in September. Katie's definitely more in favor of the November trip.
My wife and I did a September trip a few years ago. The humidity was brutal. We adjusted by leaving the room super early each morning and returning by 1 pm to relax for a few hours and by late afternoon the humidity was not nearly as bad. To us, it seemed to be he worst between 1pm - 4 pm. So we just used those few hours to relax and drink more beer in the room or walking around the resort (inside):cool:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Thank you! Do you have any recommendations or advice about planning around the crowds?
We have been during November many times. In my experience, the crowds are hit and miss. Crowded one day, light crowds the next, especially at Epcot. MK is always going to be crowded. HS and AK are similar to Epcot. Crowded one day, but not the next. We park hop like crazy so we have had days when we hit AK in the morning, then head to Epcot for lunch and drinks and maybe a ride or two, then bounce over to HS for the evening. Then we will go back to AK the next morning and the crowd level will be completely different.

amjt660

Premium Member
Katie and I are starting to figure out FP+s... 7 months early...
This our Day 1 plan if Magic Kingdom opens at 9 AM:
  • Getting to the park early to spend time on Main Street USA
  • First ride: Haunted Mansion
  • FP+ 1 (in the 9-10 range): Peter Pan
  • FP+ 2 (in the 10-11 range): Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
  • ADR Lunch at 11 for Be Our Guest
  • FP+ 3 (in the 11:30-12:30 range): Space Mountain
We're assuming that we'll be able to do a lot of Fantasyland without any FastPasses (at least that's what I'm guessing based on the MDE app). If we need to backtrack, so be it.

I need to check, but can you book the 4th FP after you check into the 1st? Or does it have to be after you've checked into the 3rd? Fingers crossed, Jungle Cruise will be our 4th FP (hope to get it after 1:00). After that, who knows. We'll probably need them for Splash and Big Thunder too.

Also on my list of things to do that morning is to finally meet Gaston. I have 6 characters that I want to meet at Disney this fall: Tigger, Mickey, Gaston, Chewbacca, and Anna & Elsa. Tigger and Mickey are for tradition's sake (I know that I've gotten pictures with Tigger for at least 3/6 trips, and I'm sure that I've gotten a picture with Mickey on every trip, just need to find the evidence). Gaston and Chewie for the novelty. Anna & Elsa will probably be the easiest due to the low wait times. I think the only character that Katie is interested in meeting is Mary Poppins.

When it comes to shows, I am definitely interested in seeing the Muppet shows. I hope we can see both of them, but time will tell. Country Bear Jamboree and Tiki Room are also must-sees. I'd like to see the parade, but I know we won't be lining up for it early.

The trip is still so far away, but I'm glad we're getting some of the planning done now :)
Hi Direwolf
You cannot book your 4th until you have checked into all 3 of your first.
I hope you can lock down the participation list soon so that you can get the hotels, meals and FP figured out.

Max

Princess Leia

Original Poster
So.

Remember that idea of taking a quick trip to Disney and Uni next month?

Might have just talked my sister into it.

She needs to talk to her boss, but it would be a short trip (2 or 3 Disney Days and 1 Uni Day), probably occurring during the first full week of March. I'm looking at hotels and Air BnB to compare prices. She's okay with staying on property (she remembered the 'free' bus transportation), and I told her that some Disney hotels have special rates, and depending on our park days, there's Extra Magic Hours too.

Her boyfriend is in the Marines, and he might be getting stationed far away from her later in the fall, so I'm guessing that her travel time around Thanksgiving will be to see him. So that's the reasoning behind this trip. We want to go on vacation, and now is a good time to do it. I don't think we'll know for certain until Monday.

amjt660

Premium Member
So.

Remember that idea of taking a quick trip to Disney and Uni next month?

Might have just talked my sister into it.

She needs to talk to her boss, but it would be a short trip (2 or 3 Disney Days and 1 Uni Day), probably occurring during the first full week of March. I'm looking at hotels and Air BnB to compare prices. She's okay with staying on property (she remembered the 'free' bus transportation), and I told her that some Disney hotels have special rates, and depending on our park days, there's Extra Magic Hours too.

Her boyfriend is in the Marines, and he might be getting stationed far away from her later in the fall, so I'm guessing that her travel time around Thanksgiving will be to see him. So that's the reasoning behind this trip. We want to go on vacation, and now is a good time to do it. I don't think we'll know for certain until Monday.
I hope this one happens - sounds like fun

Max

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Thanks Disney for scheduling the Christmas party every other day on my trip :rolleyes:. My friends and I aren't interested in going, and we don't want to die in a swarm of people on Saturday, so here's the new plan (again).

November 24th: Arrival Day/Disney Springs/O'hana (tentatively)
November 25th: Animal Kingdom/DHS (Early Morning Magic at Animal Kingdom= Happy people :happy: More time at Pandora!!)
November 26th: Universal Orlando / Islands of Adventure
November 27th: Magic Kingdom. Not exactly looking forward to fighting the crowds on my birthday, but we're all planning on arriving well before rope drop (like, the time that Main Street opens is when we will arrive)
November 28th: Epcot (2 extra evening hours to eat and drink around the world :happy:)
November 29th: Departure Day

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Meals (tentative):
Friday Dinner: O'hana
Saturday Lunch: Pandora or Yak & Yeti
Saturday Dinner: idk, someplace at DHS
Sunday Lunch: Leaky Cauldron
Sunday Dinner: Three Broomsticks
Monday Lunch: Be Our Guest
Monday Dinner: idk, I could just eat a turkey leg and be happy (I'll need to stop into Cosmic Ray's at some point to see Sonny)
Tuesday Lunch: ... yeah, we're just eating and drinking around the world for most of the day
Tuesday Dinner: Possibly Le Cellier? If Canada doesn't have a holiday food stand, I guess we'll have to eat here.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
tumblr_nhdtwr1mIY1r8hr1fo1_250.gif

tumblr_mzncp3nYXh1syplf0o1_250.gif

Well, after months of planning.... we're finally booking the trip. There will be 4 or 5 of us (still waiting on my sister to figure out her schedule for November). And we're finally booking the trip today!!!!

Had to reorganize thanks to Mickey's Christmas party... and the probable dates of EMH.

Saturday- park hop between AK and DHS
Sunday- park hop at the Universal parks
Monday- Magic Kingdom for the birthday (as we fight through the probable crowds...)
Tuesday- Epcot

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom