Planet Hollywood unveils redesign for Disney Springs

mm121

I've now read numerous reviews online. Seems like they opened not quite show-ready.

There are many empty display cases, and the projections on the ceiling are not fully functional. The food seems hit and miss. What is good is very good, and what is bad, is brutal.

Hopefully this is just a case of opening night jitters, and not being fully finished. I expect the reviews will improve in the coming weeks, as the wrinkles are ironed out.

If not, then sadly, some others may be correct that there is just too much competition nearby (within steps actually!) for The Observatory to survive.

For now, it stays on my list to try in September.
no matter how bad it is, i see it surviving as long as they dont increase to "the landing" prices

after making the landing for the 1% that doesnt leave many non quickservice places for the 99%

especially now that we know paddlefish is just as outrageously priced as the boathouse

KBLovedDisney

So the "story" for Planet Hollywood 2017 goes something like this....

"We found this wonderful old abandoned observatory. Lovingly renovated the exterior and lobby, then added a restaurant."

Sounds great!!! What type of theme did you use inside the restaurant?

"Well, that's the best part! We turned it into a mishmash of hollywood memorabilia and Rihanna music videos on 120 inch screens!!!"

Cool?
eb7d1b4c3a56559d52961095bbc739c0.jpg

RSoxNo1

These over the top milkshakes have largely been unsatisfying and over priced. The Toothsome milkshakes are regularly watery and at $13 they need to be more than just photogenic. I'd much rather get a $7 milkshake at Cow Fish, $8.50 for bottomless at Whispering Canyon or whatever it is at 50's Prime Time.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Good review. Is it possible that the star projections will be added to the bare ceiling later, and just weren't ready on time like the third floor?
Thanks.

Unsure on that. In the restaurant, attention is mostly directed to the video wall, so the blank ceiling above is perhaps more obvious in photos than in person.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
These over the top milkshakes have largely been unsatisfying and over priced. The Toothsome milkshakes are regularly watery and at $13 they need to be more than just photogenic. I'd much rather get a $7 milkshake at Cow Fish, $8.50 for bottomless at Whispering Canyon or whatever it is at 50's Prime Time.
Agreed. A milkshake has to be a great milkshake above anything else.

3WaltFans

So the "story" for Planet Hollywood 2017 goes something like this....

"We found this wonderful old abandoned observatory. Lovingly renovated the exterior and lobby, then added a restaurant."

Sounds great!!! What type of theme did you use inside the restaurant?

"Well, that's the best part! We turned it into a mishmash of hollywood memorabilia and Rihanna music videos on 120 inch screens!!!"

Cool?

Chet.jpg

Slowjack

Again, the story is adaptive reuse. It used to be an observatory. It is not supposed to be an observatory now.
Clearly, it's supposed to be a restaurant now. The question is how much of a connection the observatory concept should have to the current appearance. If there aren't many nods to the supposed "previous use," it seems a bit of a waste. Lots of real-life reused spaces have more connections to their previous history than this. Overall, the result seems a little half-baked, but it's still a significant visual upgrade over what was there, and externally blends in with the rest of the Springs.

toolsnspools

@wdwmagic So does "loud sports bar playing music" mean you can't hear the person next to you, just like in he old PH? If you still can't talk to the person next to you, I can drop it from my list immediately...

alissafalco

The promo pics they released of the shakes were my draw to try the new PH. However, from all the photos I've seen so far, the shakes look terrible and nothing like the promo pics.

Disneyhead'71

I'm kinda LMAO at the pics of the shakes. The promo pics are total "white girl" bait. Then the instagram pics look like something a 5 year old made at a "shake decorating station" at Mickey's Backyard Ice Cream Social.

KBLovedDisney

Clearly, it's supposed to be a restaurant now. The question is how much of a connection the observatory concept should have to the current appearance. If there aren't many nods to the supposed "previous use," it seems a bit of a waste. Lots of real-life reused spaces have more connections to their previous history than this. Overall, the result seems a little half-baked, but it's still a significant visual upgrade over what was there, and externally blends in with the rest of the Springs.
Yes, this is what I was referring to, totally! They did a good job with making the place look nice and organized, but the theme just seems slightly...off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom