Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Runners are lazy? :confused:

Yeah, only because I said most of us would love for a later start time in order to get another hour of sleep...but we were willing to get up early and run in the dark so the parks could open on time for other guests. That's when one particular poster - the same one who called us Runny Mcrunpants - called us runners lazy... :rolleyes:

CanadianGordon

Well some people will just be the way they are. Screw 'em. You have fun gang. I'm hoping to run the Marathon one day. Myself and my partner. We're just figuring out how best to start it...

dreamfinder

Well that was an interesting Dopey weekend. Despite my disappointment with the half being cancelled, they made the right call. I was up at 3ish (DS fussing) and it was torrential outside. And later on about 6:30-7ish there was definitely lightning in the area. So between the two, don't blame them, and the options they offered were pretty decent.

Lots of people opted to not wear the medal/shirt, and I noticed plenty of challenge runners who took their medal pic with all the medals, and then had then do one with just the marathon medal as well.

Was able to walk into the Expo at open Weds w/no line outside, New Balance took about 1 min to enter (was in group 1) Line for merch took up the whole queue, and took a while to get through. Getting to packet pickup actually had a long line, queue snaked back and forth between the center and the stadium, but at least it moved the whole time. When I left, the line to get into the expo went down the stairs and wrapped around the fields to go in the New Balance door. Was less hectic Thurs when returned for the kids race. Apparently the line for the refunds was huge Saturday. Like the sign during the Marathon "This race is shorter than the line for the half marathon refunds".

Overall, was pretty happy with my races. Did the 5k/10k with my mom and wife, so went at a much slower pace than normal, but it was fun. Full wasn't bad, I actually enjoyed the temps so will take a 4:20ish considering I hadn't done any run longer than 16mi since the Marathon last year. = p And taking out the time for standing around it was closer to a 4:05. Slightly disappointed in characters, I'd say Oswald was the prize this year.

Character Recap
Pre race - Pluto and Dopey
Thumper was on the backstage road
Vikings in Norway
Minnie in Italy
Chip and Dale w/fez in Morocco
Flannel Donald in Canada
Space Goofy by Club Cool

Pre race - Minnie and Dopey
Launchpad and Scrooge at end of dogleg
Lilo and Stitch
Vikings in Norway
Travel Genie in Morocco
Revolutionary Mickey, Donald and Goofy in USA
Pluto at ESPN Club
Pooh and Tigger by backstage gate

Full
Pre race - Goofy, Daisy, Dopey, Chip and Dale
Captain Barbosa and Jack Sparrow
Lightning & Tow Mater
Jack and Sally
Buzz in Tommorowland
Tweedles by Tea Party
Snake Charmer Donald by Circus entryway
Beast at Be Our Guest
Frozen in castle rampart
Country Bears in Frontierland
Magnificent FoF float + thorn stiltwalkers backstage
Penguins by Grand Floridian
Travel Genie by golf course
Groomsmen by wedding pavillion
Lilo and Stitch
Big Bad Wolf
Attraction Museum
60s Tourists
Venelope and Ralph before sewage treatment
Clarabell and Horace at Horticulture
AK Animals from Affection Section
Meeko by train
Timon going onstage in Africa
King Louie by Flights of Wonder
Chester & Hester in Dinorama
Grave Diggers by AK overpass
Archeologists w/TRex skull by construction
Soccer Mickey and Cheerleader Minnie
Ref Chip, Dale and Donald
Sport Goofy on track
Joy and Sadness before stadium
Sarge on DHS overpass
Oswald in F! Entryway
Belle in France
Snow White in Germany
Prince Ali & Princess Jasmine in Morocco
Mulan in China

I noticed one of the options was to enter the Full. If you were signed up for Dopey, obviously this wasn't an option, but if you were just there for the Half - particularly your first Half - I was wondering if anyone signed up for the Full with the intention of stopping at 13.1 miles. Would you be at a point on the course at that spot where you could easily leave the course and call it a day? That way you'd get the experience of running a Disney race, getting liquids and cheers from the sidelines, and being able to run an interesting 13.1 mile course rather than running around a resort. Would this have been possible?

At the worst you could have hung out and waited for the parade bus. But just due to it's location, you could have pretty easily jumped on the AK transportation and gone home. They bumped out the dogleg at mile 11 to help make up for the DHS course shortening, so put the half much closer to the park than before.

Some 1,500 people took up the option to go from the half to the full. So much, they hit the official closure numbers for the full marathon.

216bruce

I was on a DCL Western Caribbean Cruise from 1/7-14. There was a guy that ran his half marathon on the Fantasy (complete with bib). By the time he was down to his last few laps (2.5= 1 mile) he was getting applause from those of us working hard in deck chairs on the Promenade deck.
I ran the Dopey in '15 and the half a half the same year, so I sure felt for the guy. Glad he did get his miles in!

dreamfinder

I will admit that the "attraction museum" was pretty cool. On the road to AK at one of the spots they used to have a character they had a flatbed truck with a bunch of old ride vehicles and streetmosphere as the researcher/historian. Nautilus, old Space Mountain shuttle, Mr Toad car, Snow White vehicle and I think one more I can't remember. Wish they had Photopass there for that.

Skippy

I will admit that the "attraction museum" was pretty cool. On the road to AK at one of the spots they used to have a character they had a flatbed truck with a bunch of old ride vehicles and streetmosphere as the researcher/historian. Nautilus, old Space Mountain shuttle, Mr Toad car, Snow White vehicle and I think one more I can't remember. Wish they had Photopass there for that.
I believe the one you're forgetting was a skyway bucket. It really was awesome seeing the Nautilus as a giant backdrop for the other vehicles.

CaptainAmerica

So I totally missed the memo they posted at the resorts and I drove from Animal Kingdom Lodge to the Magic Kingdom at 7:00 AM on race day. Literally took me two hours. That was probably the single worst point A to point B route to drive at Walt Disney World on any day of the year.

Greenlawler

Runners are getting emails today allowing them to sign up for next year. I got mine an hour ago. I am signed up for 2018 already.

Last edited:

Greenlawler

Well that was an interesting Dopey weekend. Despite my disappointment with the half being cancelled, they made the right call. I was up at 3ish (DS fussing) and it was torrential outside. And later on about 6:30-7ish there was definitely lightning in the area. So between the two, don't blame them, and the options they offered were pretty decent.

Lots of people opted to not wear the medal/shirt, and I noticed plenty of challenge runners who took their medal pic with all the medals, and then had then do one with just the marathon medal as well.

Was able to walk into the Expo at open Weds w/no line outside, New Balance took about 1 min to enter (was in group 1) Line for merch took up the whole queue, and took a while to get through. Getting to packet pickup actually had a long line, queue snaked back and forth between the center and the stadium, but at least it moved the whole time. When I left, the line to get into the expo went down the stairs and wrapped around the fields to go in the New Balance door. Was less hectic Thurs when returned for the kids race. Apparently the line for the refunds was huge Saturday. Like the sign during the Marathon "This race is shorter than the line for the half marathon refunds".

Overall, was pretty happy with my races. Did the 5k/10k with my mom and wife, so went at a much slower pace than normal, but it was fun. Full wasn't bad, I actually enjoyed the temps so will take a 4:20ish considering I hadn't done any run longer than 16mi since the Marathon last year. = p And taking out the time for standing around it was closer to a 4:05. Slightly disappointed in characters, I'd say Oswald was the prize this year.

Character Recap
Pre race - Pluto and Dopey
Thumper was on the backstage road
Vikings in Norway
Minnie in Italy
Chip and Dale w/fez in Morocco
Flannel Donald in Canada
Space Goofy by Club Cool

Pre race - Minnie and Dopey
Launchpad and Scrooge at end of dogleg
Lilo and Stitch
Vikings in Norway
Travel Genie in Morocco
Revolutionary Mickey, Donald and Goofy in USA
Pluto at ESPN Club
Pooh and Tigger by backstage gate

Full
Pre race - Goofy, Daisy, Dopey, Chip and Dale
Captain Barbosa and Jack Sparrow
Lightning & Tow Mater
Jack and Sally
Buzz in Tommorowland
Tweedles by Tea Party
Snake Charmer Donald by Circus entryway
Beast at Be Our Guest
Frozen in castle rampart
Country Bears in Frontierland
Magnificent FoF float + thorn stiltwalkers backstage
Penguins by Grand Floridian
Travel Genie by golf course
Groomsmen by wedding pavillion
Lilo and Stitch
Big Bad Wolf
Attraction Museum
60s Tourists
Venelope and Ralph before sewage treatment
Clarabell and Horace at Horticulture
AK Animals from Affection Section
Meeko by train
Timon going onstage in Africa
King Louie by Flights of Wonder
Chester & Hester in Dinorama
Grave Diggers by AK overpass
Archeologists w/TRex skull by construction
Soccer Mickey and Cheerleader Minnie
Ref Chip, Dale and Donald
Sport Goofy on track
Joy and Sadness before stadium
Sarge on DHS overpass
Oswald in F! Entryway
Belle in France
Snow White in Germany
Prince Ali & Princess Jasmine in Morocco
Mulan in China

At the worst you could have hung out and waited for the parade bus. But just due to it's location, you could have pretty easily jumped on the AK transportation and gone home. They bumped out the dogleg at mile 11 to help make up for the DHS course shortening, so put the half much closer to the park than before.

Some 1,500 people took up the option to go from the half to the full. So much, they hit the official closure numbers for the full marathon.

Yep DF....my wife and I have run for characters exclusively for the last ten years and this was maybe the single worst year since 2011. I will never understand the use of talent in "groomsmen, archaeologist, multiple green army men, et..." How hard would it be to have put a guy with a beard in front of the Nautilus, call him Nemo, and made every character runner happy?

Greenlawler

And not all 2017 participants - I haven't received one either.

A lot of people are overlooking it because it is a part of a congratulations email, you have to open it and then click a link inside the email. But you are right our friend did not get it. But my wife and I did.

Figment82

A lot of people are overlooking it because it is a part of a congratulations email, you have to open it and then click a link inside the email. But you are right our friend did not get it. But my wife and I did.

Ah gotcha, I never received a congratulations email. Just 50 emails from runner tracking and runDisney telling me the race was cancelled, haha! I wonder if they were only sending them to marathon and challenge participants - since there was really nothing on which to congratulate us. ;)

It's all good - I'll just wait for DVC registration. It's for the best anyway, I need to slow down on spending for a little bit!

dreamfinder

Ah gotcha, I never received a congratulations email. Just 50 emails from runner tracking and runDisney telling me the race was cancelled, haha! I wonder if they were only sending them to marathon and challenge participants - since there was really nothing on which to congratulate us. ;)

It's all good - I'll just wait for DVC registration. It's for the best anyway, I need to slow down on spending for a little bit!

Some of the races do have a whopping $10 discount for them, I think the full, Goofy and Dopey. Haven't seen discounts for a few years.

wdwjmp239

For the 2017 WDW Marathon, I stayed at Bay Lake Tower and while the transportation was quite convenient to get to Epcot, I'm thinking about changing it up for the 2018 WDW Marathon. If I book at the Beach Club (and since it's close to the start/finish at Epcot), am I able to walk in through the back at Epcot to the front? Or, do I have to get on the bus to go to Epcot?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
For the 2017 WDW Marathon, I stayed at Bay Lake Tower and while the transportation was quite convenient to get to Epcot, I'm thinking about changing it up for the 2018 WDW Marathon. If I book at the Beach Club (and since it's close to the start/finish at Epcot), am I able to walk in through the back at Epcot to the front? Or, do I have to get on the bus to go to Epcot?

I stayed at BW for the Dark Side. We had to take a bus. Anyone not taking appropriate transportation (buses for on property runners, taxis for off property) may not be allowed to participate. I'd check with runDisney just to make sure.

wdwjmp239

I stayed at BW for the Dark Side. We had to take a bus. Anyone not taking appropriate transportation (buses for on property runners, taxis for off property) may not be allowed to participate. I'd check with runDisney just to make sure.

Thanks! I was just thinking since I was so close... ;) I may just stay at BLT again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom