Is Disney's Hollywood Studios discontinuing evening Extra Magic Hours?

Seabasealpha1

I still don't stay in the resorts on property...for a few reasons...1. I'm there for the parks, not the hotels. 2. Student loan payments. 3. It's only a place to sleep at this point in my life and as long as there's no roaches...I'm good.

So...when they have EMH, and they start running everyone who's not a resort guest outta the park...I don't feel horrible about them cancelling EMH...especially where DHS is concerned...like I've complained before...if they're gonna only have half a park open...they ought to only charge half price...Three major attractions (four if you count GMR) does not a $100 ticket make...(at least with me...) so to even have EMH for DHS in it's current state, to me, is incredulous...and if you're willing to blow that much time in a half-a-park...then have at it.

Jon81uk

.if they're gonna only have half a park open.

Although the only attractions that closed in the last few years are backlot tour, lights motors action and honey i shrunk the kids, thats not really half.

The main issue has been ongoing for at least a decade, the shows are stale, there are too many shows and not enough rides, actual filimg and production never took off so the backlot tour wasn't relevant.

wannabeBelle

Hopefully it is just an issue of the calendar being uploaded slowly. I doubt it though. The last few times that I did EMH at the Studios was only to see Mulch, Sweat & Shears perform. I can tell you I had done everything I wanted to do in the park during the regular course of the day. Just being there, I had noticed that there were just not many people in the park for EMH, and with the construction they probably feel that the EMH hours and the cost involved isn't enough of a benefit in this park for that little of a crowd. I do think it will be left alone in the other parks and will be returning once more attractions open in this park. Marie

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
No attractions that operated during EMH have been affected by the construction being done at SWL and TSL. So the whole construction thing is not an excuse.

This is a cut pure and simple. Just like MSEP not being replaced. This is the new norm for the WDW parks. But hey you have your private cabanas, year round drunkeytown festivals at Epcot and $250/hour shopping assistants at Disney Springs to keep you entertained. Oh and of course the hard-ticket upcharge events that will be introduced soon.

Sounds like a fun time to go right 21?

I told you to stop that! :joyfull:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Every single time the calendar is slow to update EMH or a night time parade or fireworks, the haters come out to proclaim that WDW is getting rid of something. Do that enough times and once in a blue moon, they'll eventually be correct. Not everything lasts forever.

BUT... As pointed out, WDW already charges for EMH: It's called paying extra to stay at a Disney resort. The new upcharge extra hours are mainly for those who don't stay at a Disney resort.

And as pointed out, it's not about the park being half closed, because 1. The claim that the park is half closed is an outright lie borne of Disney-hate; and 2. The two attractions now closed weren't late night attractions. If WDW discontinues night time DHS EMHs, its because there's little demand for it. I'd imagine there was always little demand for it... how many people wanted to "Be a Millionaire" at 10 PM? The late night hours was always mainly for ToT and RnRC.

Kingtut

at the MK they could definitely add upcharge events for other holidays

valentines day
st patricks day
easter
4th of july
(not sure of any holidays between july and october)
halloween
christmas
You forgot October 1 - the birthday of Scrooge McDuck - A character near and dear to the heart ( if they have one) of every current Disney executive.

cdeev8690

Honestly, you can get everything checked off your DHS to-do list without EMH. Is it nice to walk around that park after it's cleared out a bit? For sure. Do I think that this is permanent? Nope.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Every single time the calendar is slow to update EMH or a night time parade or fireworks, the haters come out to proclaim that WDW is getting rid of something. Do that enough times and once in a blue moon, they'll eventually be correct. Not everything lasts forever.

BUT... As pointed out, WDW already charges for EMH: It's called paying extra to stay at a Disney resort. The new upcharge extra hours are mainly for those who don't stay at a Disney resort.

And as pointed out, it's not about the park being half closed, because 1. The claim that the park is half closed is an outright lie borne of Disney-hate; and 2. The two attractions now closed weren't late night attractions. If WDW discontinues night time DHS EMHs, its because there's little demand for it. I'd imagine there was always little demand for it... how many people wanted to "Be a Millionaire" at 10 PM? The late night hours was always mainly for ToT and RnRC.
Did you happen to notice who the OP on this thread was?

Seabasealpha1

Although the only attractions that closed in the last few years are backlot tour, lights motors action and honey i shrunk the kids, thats not really half.

The main issue has been ongoing for at least a decade, the shows are stale, there are too many shows and not enough rides, actual filimg and production never took off so the backlot tour wasn't relevant.
You also forgot American Idol, Sounds Dangerous, The Animation Studio Tour and several others...it's actually quite the list of stuff...I chose to name major attractions...here's a list... enjoy y'all...

https://touringplans.com/hollywood-...3kC5Qg.1&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/

Half-a-park indeed.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Did you happen to notice who the OP on this thread was?

Absolutely. And the OP even said that this could be a calendar failure and even I said it could be right, but rarely is.

I'm reacting to those who are already criticizing WDW for something which isn't fully corroborated yet, and doing so for what is most likely the wrong reasons.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
You also forgot American Idol, Sounds Dangerous, The Animation Studio Tour and several others...it's actually quite the list of stuff...I chose to name major attractions...here's a list... enjoy y'all....

You forgot that all those closures were replaced by something else. They're not sitting there empty with broken windows or empty lots with graffiti sprawled on half-knocked down walls.

Minnie Mum

You don't have to be a hater to notice that while MK and Epcot have their evening EMHs listed for the next few months, DHS does not. And while it isn't unusual at all to see opening and closing hours change, the basic EMHs have historically been listed very early on.

No, I don't think this is temporary, due to construction. No, I don't think it's due to the reduced number of attractions. Yes, I think this is another one of their cuts. And yes, I think it's a harbinger of them getting rid of EMH altogether.

And I hope it comes back to bite them in the butt. EMH has long been one of the few perks to staying onsite and paying their inflated resort prices. Why stay onsite if EMH was one of the big pluses for making that choice? I fully expect Epcot to be the next victim.

Like many cuts, I expect this will be permanent. When was the last time they cut something and then brought it back (without an upcharge).

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Absolutely. And the OP even said that this could be a calendar failure and even I said it could be right, but rarely is.

I'm reacting to those who are already criticizing WDW for something which isn't fully corroborated yet, and doing so for what is most likely the wrong reasons.
What's the right/wrong reason?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
What's the right/wrong reason?

The wrong reason is the people aren't taking advantage of the late night DHS EMHs because of construction, when the rides affected by construction weren't open during EMHs to begin with. But that's assuming that interest in a late night DHS is down, which I certainly don't know is the case or not, though others seem to presume it to be true. It could be, for all we know, a transfer of one park's EMH to another (AK's) when Pandora opens, which is not really known yet.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The wrong reason is the people aren't taking advantage of the late night DHS EMHs because of construction, when the rides affected by construction weren't open during EMHs to begin with. But that's assuming that interest in a late night DHS is down, which I certainly don't know is the case or not, though others seem to presume it to be true. It could be, for all we know, a transfer of one park's EMH to another (AK's) when Pandora opens, which is not really known yet.
That's a real head scratcher.

Seabasealpha1

You forgot that all those closures were replaced by something else. They're not sitting there empty with broken windows or empty lots with graffiti sprawled on half-knocked down walls.
Not all of them were replaced...in fact, I would dare say less than half...which is still a lot of closures...and areas...that's far more closings than any of the other three parks in the last 6 years...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom