Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi NO SPOILERS!!!!

Jahona

Writer-director Rian Johnson teased the return of the opening crawl one day after the title reveal, posting an Instagram image of a screen in the edit bay of the film.

“Felt so good to drop this into the cut this morning,” he wrote.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/01/24/star-wars-last-jedi-director-teases-return-of-the-opening-crawl/

View attachment 185969

First thought. I want his editing bay. Mine at work sucks right now. Second thought. Is R2D2 crying into a tissue?

21stamps

I have a Star Wars fan question and didn't know where to post it, it wasn't appropriate on the thread where '1st generation SW fans' were brought up.. So..Help me out please bc I'm extremely curious!

I'm Gen X. I consider this generation to be the first "Star Wars" kids. Growing up with the movies, having the toys, wearing the shirts, etc.

So anyway it's interesting to me.
What generation are "you" in, and when did you fall in love with the movies, original series? Prequels? Episode 7? Rogue One?

For myself I enjoyed them as a child, skipped the prequels until I finally watched them in 2015. Then fell back in love with the universe after The Force Awakens. Can't wait until Episode VIII.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I have a Star Wars fan question and didn't know where to post it, it wasn't appropriate on the thread where '1st generation SW fans' were brought up.. So..Help me out please bc I'm extremely curious!

I'm Gen X. I consider this generation to be the first "Star Wars" kids. Growing up with the movies, having the toys, wearing the shirts, etc.

What generation are "you" in, and when did you fall in love with the movies, original series? Prequels? Episode 7? Rogue One?

For myself I enjoyed them as a child, skipped the prequels until I finally watched them in 2015. Then fell back in love with the universe after The Force Awakens. Can't wait until Episode VIII.
I'm considered a millennial and my dad showed me the original trilogy when I was a kid and I watched Episode III when it came out in theaters. I fell in love with the series then, but I kind of forgot about it until the months leading up to The Force Awakens and now I'm back. I'm of the mindset that the prequels are pretty good. Blasphemous, I know.

21stamps

I'm considered a millennial and my dad showed me the original trilogy when I was a kid and I watched Episode III when it came out in theaters. I fell in love with the series then, but I kind of forgot about it until the months leading up to The Force Awakens and now I'm back. I'm of the mindset that the prequels are pretty good. Blasphemous, I know.
I enjoyed the prequels, kind of wish I would have watched them sooner. Except for the 2nd one..I kept falling asleep.

I actually love Natalie Portman and had no clue she was in them until 2015.lol

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I am a GenXer and I saw Episode 4 during its original run in the theater in 1977 at the age of 6. I have pretty much been obsessed with all things Star Wars ever since.

5thGenTexan

I saw Star Wars at a drive in theater when I was 3 in 1977. Every other movie I have seen in a real theater. I still have my Darth Vader case of action figures that I am trying to figure out to display. I do not know the name and detail of every background character seen at Mos Eisley Cantina.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I'm on line line between X and Millennials (it depends which list you look at). I was born after the first movie came out. I was first exposed to Star Wars in the late 80s when we got a BetaMax. We later had a VCR in our van and when we would go on road trips. Star Wars was something all 3 kids could agree on. My mom and dad saw all the movies in the theater. I think home video was a huge factor in the next generation being able to have easy access to the the movies and fall in love.

21stamps

I saw Star Wars at a drive in theater when I was 3 in 1977. Every other movie I have seen in a real theater. I still have my Darth Vader case of action figures that I am trying to figure out to display. I do not know the name and detail of every background character seen at Mos Eisley Cantina.

I remember being 6 and all movies were shown at the drive in when Episode 6 came out.
My went to each one over a 3 week period. My parents had a station wagon and we brought sleeping bags and laid in the back with the door down. Fun memories!!!
We went to a movie theater to see Episode 6 a second time. My (then) 3 year old brother became obsessed with everything Star Wars.

Figments Friend

I have seen all of the 'Star Wars' related movies on the big screen upon initial release....except possibly the first one.
I have no memory of seeing it...and I would have been six in 1977.
Seeing 'Pete's Dragon' in 77' I remember....the projector broke down and the film 'melted'.....but I can recall no memory of seeing the first 'Star Wars' in a theater.
My assumption all these years has been I must not have seen it during it's first run.....surely i would have remembered it and been blown away if I had.

Saw it many many times afterwards....thanks to VHS!
Still have my copy of the true Original..before Lucas changed a few things.
I can proudly say ( or is it a confession of disgrace? ) that to date I have yet to have seen his tampered with version of the film, otherwise known as 'the Special Edition'...!

I DO however remember seeing 'Empire..' in the theater in 1980 with my Dad and a friend of his.
I was 9, and most of the plot elements went over my head ( including the 'big reveal' ) but Yoda was awesome and I loved the Taun Tauns.
My Dads friend was also trying to convince us that he was related to Obi Wan Kenobi, based solely on the fact they both had the same beard and eyes.
Yeah, that added to the memorable factor.
That was a great film, my favorite of the bunch for sure and still is.

Definitely remember 'Return..' In 1983 as well...I was 12 and loved Jabba and the Ewoks.
This is when I started buying the related toys and action figures..which I still have today.
Yeah I said it...I like Ewoks. Have a lot of merch related to them, most of it stuff I bought in 1983.
Oh, and the Jabba the Hutt Playset kicked major butt!
Loved to play with that...still have it!

I saw all the prequels upon initial theatrical release as well, and like a lot of fans at the time I was really dissapointed with 'Phantom'.
I still bought a few of the action figures, Qi Gon and Watto being the favorites.
'Attack..' was much better to me despite some truly awkward dialog between Anie and Padme', but 'Revenge...' was the best of the prequel lot.

'Force Awakens' - Enjoyed a lot. Love Kylo and Rey...my wallet did not at the time, though!

'Rouge One' - Did not really do much for me, but the last few moments were great ( saw the film the day before Carrie passed )

Really looking forward to 'Last..'..and the further adventures of Rey, Kylo, Luke and the gang.

-

Last edited:

Flippin'Flounder

Gen Z (I guess?) Just started watching Star Wars in 2015 to hop on the bandwagon for The Force Awakens. Watch them all on DVD/VHS, followed by TFA in theaters!

Mickey81

I'm 36, and had never watched Star Wars until we planned a trip during SWW....my daughter wanted to watch the movies, and we completely fell in love them. I don't know how or why I didn't watch them before. She's 13 now, and still into everything Star Wars.

WhatJaneSays

I was born in the early 80s (my "generation" is complicated) and was brought up by two fans that were already well into adulthood in 1977. I was to young to have seen any of the OT in theaters on the first go around. However, all my first movie experiences with Star Wars was in theaters during the the multitude of "unofficial" re-releases during the mid/late 80s. I was never not in love with Star Wars, there wasn't any choice really with parents as nerdy as mine. (Baby Jane was dressed as an Ewok for her first Halloween.)

21stamps

I was born in the early 80s (my "generation" is complicated) and was brought up by two fans that were already well into adulthood in 1977. I was to young to have seen any of the OT in theaters on the first go around. However, all my first movie experiences with Star Wars was in theaters during the the multitude of "unofficial" re-releases during the mid/late 80s. I was never not in love with Star Wars, there wasn't any choice really with parents as nerdy as mine. (Baby Jane was dressed as an Ewok for her first Halloween.)

Ha ha that's an adorable 1st Halloween costume! Late 70s - early 80s peeps can not be accurately described, imo. We're all an X/Y mix.lol. We're the first and last of our kind. Electronics, but not too many, social media once we were already (somewhat) adults.
They need to come up with something better for the 1977-1985 birth years than X or Y.

Bratty Brit

I am totally the opposite of the majority of you. I am 17 and have never seen the Star Wars movies in the theaters. Not even the ones when I was alive. I have seen them all on DVD, but never on the big screen.

prberk

I saw Star Wars (before it was called "Episode IV") but not quite in its first run. It had finally finished its main run after many months and finally got to my local $0.99 theater, where I finally got to see it. I loved it. I was about 11 or 12, depending on the date. I had followed all of the hoopla, and I had really wanted to see it; but my parents did not care for sci-fi, so I did not get to see it until it was cheap and maybe they were tired of hearing me ask.

By the time it was re-issued the next year, with "Episode IV" added into the crawl, I was all-in.

One cool thing to note that not many people know is that it was marketed in 1977 in smaller theatres, even when bigger ones at the same complex were available, because the "sold out" and long lines in the news added to the "must see" factor. I remembered that, even thought I could not go, it was always advertised as being in "Ridge Cinema 3" locally of our four-cinema Ridge Cinemas complex. Later I realized that Cinema 3 and 4 were small, and Cinema 1 and 2 were much larger (even double in the case of Cinema 1). [Back in those days the newspaper ads for the movies usually told you which actual cinema within the complex was showing your movie.] So, later on I was really into movies, and as remembered that I actually later had the occasion to ask the manager and they were able to confirm that, yes, that had been done on purpose. It was a directive from the distributor, to keep the "sold out" driving more demand.

By 1980, however, that had gone out the window, and "Empire" (which we called it, not "Episode V") opened in the biggest cinema wherever it played (including Ridge Cinema 1).

And, yes, we called the original trilogy by names, not numbers:

"Star Wars"
"Empire"
"Return of the Jedi" (which it was rumored was originally going to be called "Revenge of the Jedi" until it was determined that "Revenge" would not be an appropriate title for what Jedi would do).

We knew that they had numbers, but we never used them, and we most certainly NEVER called the original "A New Hope." We usually just said, "Star Wars" or "the original".

And the phenomenon around the original was amazing for at least a full year. It was everywhere. You could not escape it. And, yes, there was a backlash also. There were kids who were proudly defiant, saying, "Yuck. I have not seen 'Star Wars,' and I don't want to.' "

lazyboy97o

Return of the Jedi" (which it was rumored was originally going to be called "Revenge of the Jedi" until it was determined that "Revenge" would not be an appropriate title for what Jedi would do).
Revenge of the Jedi was not a rumor. Official posters with that name were made.

We knew that they had numbers, but we never used them, and we most certainly NEVER called the original "A New Hope." We usually just said, "Star Wars" or "the original".
The branded numbering and subtitling only really started with The Phantom Menace. The various VHS releases and even the Special Editions were Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

Jahona

The branded numbering and subtitling only really started with The Phantom Menace. The various VHS releases and even the Special Editions were Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

Actually I believe the VHS special editions had the opening crawl changed with the new numbers. While the outside box still just called it Star Wars the crawl says Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope. I've got a set somewhere I just need a VHS player to double check what I've found on the youtubes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom