Convince me to run!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The Star Wars one would be awesome!

I never heard of the Dopey or Goofy challenge until recently... I can say with certainty that I will never participate in either one.lol

Kudos to you! That's an admirable weekend!!

I've never had multiple vacations booked as far in advance as I do this year..and last month. They're all spaced out kind of perfectly, but 3 Nights would definitely be my maximum time for a Fall Disney trip. I'm waiting on a few responses from my friends.. no one likes planning/committing to trips this early. Not in my crowd anyway. Lol

Isn't your son a big Star Wars fan? Would he love to run in either one of the kids races or the 5k?

I think you're getting closer to commitment... :)

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think I'll just take up smoking...seems easier lol...and it will keep me from running;)

Can't you walk 3.1 miles? You walk more than that in a day at the Magic Kingdom. Plus, you'll have this really cool medal to show all your friends back home.... ;)

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
Isn't your son a big Star Wars fan? Would he love to run in either one of the kids races or the 5k?

I think you're getting closer to commitment... :)
Maybe in 2018.. I can not plan or book or even think about any trips beyond 2017 right now!!!!!!
Don't plant a seed!!!! There's no water left in my can!lol
I've been waiting for one of you to say that lol..I suppose I could...
You could jog/speedwalk 13.1... peer pressure. Just do it.

Regarding the 5k though.. what's involved with that.. of course I want to know about the party ;)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Maybe in 2018.. I can not plan or book or even think about any trips beyond 2017 right now!!!!!!

Regarding the 5k though.. what's involved with that.. of course I want to know about the party ;)

I was thinking about the 2018 races...

There's no party for just the W&D 5k. The party is for all race participants, along with family and friends. Those who participated in the Half or Challenge get free admission, everyone else pays.

Courtney6682

Sure I coulddddd...but I don't wannaaaaa...can't I just cheer you on?

Texas84

When I Dopey that's basically the whole trip.

Wednesday - Arrive and register. Find something to eat at Epcot, get to bed early.
Thursday - 5K then parks, back to bed early
Friday - 10K, parks, sleep
Saturday - Half, NO parks, find something to eat at the resort that won't mess up my stomach, try to stay off my feet and relax
Sunday - Full, go nuts until I pass out.
Monday - go home.

Other races, I like to take a few days after the run and enjoy myself. Bottom line, you have to get rest and be careful what you eat or you're going to end up like me at one of last year's races and end up with a long unplanned break at AK.

21stamps

Original Poster
When I Dopey that's basically the whole trip.

Wednesday - Arrive and register. Find something to eat at Epcot, get to bed early.
Thursday - 5K then parks, back to bed early
Friday - 10K, parks, sleep
Saturday - Half, NO parks, find something to eat at the resort that won't mess up my stomach, try to stay off my feet and relax
Sunday - Full, go nuts until I pass out.
Monday - go home.

Other races, I like to take a few days after the run and enjoy myself. Bottom line, you have to get rest and be careful what you eat or you're going to end up like me at one of last year's races and end up with a long unplanned break at AK.

That's impressive!!! Seriously, great job! I can't believe people can even do a few days in the parks before the full..combined with the other races, or even without! Do you find it hard to get the proper rest while at the resort? Or is your mind strong enough to ignore the distractions?...I don't know if mine would be.lol

And..Ugh sorry about the unplanned break! :(

LAKid53

Premium Member
That's impressive!!! Seriously, great job! I can't believe people can even do a few days in the parks before the full..combined with the other races, or even without! Do you find it hard to get the proper rest while at the resort? Or is your mind strong enough to ignore the distractions?...I don't know if mine would be.lol

And..Ugh sorry about the unplanned break! :(

I have no problem getting rest during a visit for a race. I would not suggest staying in a Value Resort. Most runners clean up, eat and take a nap once they get back to their room after a race.

I'm a DVC member, so I usually get a 1 bedroom in Wilderness Lodge. I like having the full kitchen, because I can cook. Plus, the jacuzzi bathtub is great for soaking in after a half. Since I live just a 4 hour drive away, I pack a cooler with breakfast foods - eggs, juice, milk (white and chocolate), butter, yogurt and some good protein/pasta dishes. There's a Publix nearby and after the Expo, I jump in the car to pick up other items. I find when I'm down for a race, I eat differently at Disney. And don't drink any alcohol until I'm done with my last race.

If you can afford it and if you can convince Courtney to come, get a studio in a DVC resort. Bigger room, you will have a kitchenette - larger frig, microwave and toaster - in addition to the coffee maker.

surfsupdon

@21stamps

We used to vacation to WDW for a week or so. Now we pretty much exclusively take long weekends and runDisney. Four nights on property, plus a race or two, is a great trip. The race adds something extra!

I'm a pretty serious runner and always run to win. I like competing. The races are terrific for all levels.

Yes, Wine&Dine is a terrific weekend event. The energy all around the Resort is contagious. Have fun!

Texas84

Adrenalin is a BIG part of it. The excitement overcomes everything. Plus having a good training plan and being prepared.

Texas84

I have no problem getting rest during a visit for a race. I would not suggest staying in a Value Resort. Most runners clean up, eat and take a nap once they get back to their room after a race.

I love the Values when I'm alone just for the food courts. Fast basic good food that's great for running. To me the worst thing about Values is the crowds getting on the buses. Sometimes there is a long line. If I'm with friends or family it's DVC. Unless it's a bunch of people then I'll get a Value to get away from them. :)

LAKid53

Premium Member
I love the Values when I'm alone just for the food courts. Fast basic good food that's great for running. To me the worst thing about Values is the crowds getting on the buses. Sometimes there is a long line. If I'm with friends or family it's DVC. Unless it's a bunch of people then I'll get a Value to get away from them. :)

I suggested staying away from the Values, mainly because of the large tour groups they attract.... The last thing Stamps needs is a bunch of cheerleaders/Brazilian groups making noise until the early AM....

Texas84

I suggested staying away from the Values, mainly because of the large tour groups they attract.... The last thing Stamps needs is a bunch of cheerleaders/Brazilian groups making noise until the early AM....

I've been lucky with noise there but that's a good point. You don't want added stress.

JillC LI

I'm semi joking about the title.

I'd love to hear from a variety of people at a variety of skill levels/vacation priorities.

When you do a half at WDW do you go for a quick few days and head home?
What's your itinerary like for those few days?

@LAKid53 Has me seriously considering the W&D half, but I would have 3 Nights Maximum for the trip.

Is that "Worth It"? (Subjective, I know)
Just looking to hear stories and experiences on the subject.

So I love Disney and I love to run, but unlike most others on this forum, I have only run one Disney race and that was only because it happened to fall during a trip I had already planned (the Tower of Terror 10K way back when). For me, when I go to WDW, my time is limited and I want to maximize it in the parks with my family. I am unwilling to pay the price of the trip and lose out on family time in the parks. For those that make the race the priority, I support and encourage them, but I am not one of them. I stay on this forum because I like the running support of fellow Disney fans, not because I actually runDisney. That said, if running in Disney is your motivation to actually run at all, go for it! And if you would be travelling with a friend for the purpose of the race, that would be fun and wouldn't detract from family time, so again I say go for it!

wdwjmp239

For me, when I go to WDW, my time is limited and I want to maximize it in the parks with my family.

I actually agree with you. When I made my first attempt at the Disney marathon in January 2017, it was like there were two trips to Disney involved. My wife's and my kids.....and mine. They did their thing and I did mine. It sucks, but my wife knew this was a bucket list item for me and supported me. Next year, I'm making a run at the marathon again (to complete it this time - the cards were stacked against me in 2017 - father passing away a couple of days before the marathon, I just got over a sinus/bronchial infection, it was cold that weekend, I was unprepared, and my left calf muscle just hurt when I put weight on it). The heart was in the right place - but the mind went through a realization process with me and told me to knock it off.

Mickey....I'm coming for you in 2018! #FinishingThatDamnMarathon

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom