AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
My personal opinion, I think it will draw good crowds. I don't think you will see a "noticeable" difference at Magic Kingdom though, I think that would take a pretty big change, Magic Kingdom is just a separate beast all together. When an entire new park opened within 100 yards of Disneyland, Disneyland's attendance only dipped 11%. I don't consider 1 out of every 10 people missing that noticeable.

You could see a reduction in the crowds at Magic Kingdom if people that now go to Animal Kingdom in the morning and then leave the park and head over to Magic Kingdom stay at Animal Kingdom all day. This could reduce the total in the Magic Kingdom at peak evening hours.

gorillaball

My personal opinion, I think it will draw good crowds. I don't think you will see a "noticeable" difference at Magic Kingdom though, I think that would take a pretty big change, Magic Kingdom is just a separate beast all together. When an entire new park opened within 100 yards of Disneyland, Disneyland's attendance only dipped 11%. I don't consider 1 out of every 10 people missing that noticeable.

Another example, the year Animal Kingdom itself opened, Magic Kingdom attendance dropped in the range of 10%.

Jones14

On a realistic note I have to ask is this going to draw the crowds desperately away from MK or just make two days of your vacation crowd central?
If Pandora is a moderate success, I think that crowds at Magic Kingdom will experience an overall softening. In essence, the park will be slightly less crowded throughout the day because more people will be spending more time at Animal Kingdom. There won't be drastic drops in attendance, nor will wait times suddenly decrease by a large margin at the big ticket attractions, but I think that the crowds will be distributed a bit more evenly at the four parks. I'm not very concerned about Pandora cannibalizing DHS, actually; that park still manages to pack them in, and the headliners are still too good for most guests to skip it entirely.

However, if Pandora is a smash hit, I expect Magic Kingdom crowds to increase, because all of the new first time guests coming to see Pandora are absolutely going to spend a day in the Magic Kingdom when they come.

Jones14

I dont really see an entire NEW audience of guest to come to Walt Disney World just for Pandora. the land will attract the audiences already interest into going to Walt Disney World. Star wars will most likely get other audiences into the parks that would otherwise not go, (Picture how the Wizarding world of Harry Potter draws a lot more people to the Universal parks now due to the popularity of the franchise)
Thus the "if". I honestly feel like we'll end up somewhere in the middle of the two scenarios, though.

doctornick

I dont really see an entire NEW audience of guest to come to Walt Disney World just for Pandora. the land will attract the audiences already interest into going to Walt Disney World. Star wars will most likely get other audiences into the parks that would otherwise not go, (Picture how the Wizarding world of Harry Potter draws a lot more people to the Universal parks now due to the popularity of the franchise)

Yes and no, I do think that there are people who are holding off on trips to WDW until after Pandora (and RoL) opens. These aren't "new" customers necessary drawn specifically to Pandora but the kinds of folks who make regular trips to WDW but are deferring them until new stuff opens. I think folks have said that attendance tends to drop prior to major attractions opening and it might explain why WDW's attendance was stagnating in 2016.

I agree that there probably aren't many folks who had no plans for a WDW vacation but then will see images of Pandora and suddenly book a trip. That might happen with Star Wars though, as you mentioned.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

The big unknown in this is the 2nd Avatar Movie, if and when it is released. If the 2nd movie is a block bluster and starts developing a following of loyal fans, you might see a substantial increase in non-Disney fans wanting to go to Animal Kingdom just to "visit" Pandora.

gorillaball

Yes and no, I do think that there are people who are holding off on trips to WDW until after Pandora (and RoL) opens. These aren't "new" customers necessary drawn specifically to Pandora but the kinds of folks who make regular trips to WDW but are deferring them until new stuff opens. I think folks have said that attendance tends to drop prior to major attractions opening and it might explain why WDW's attendance was stagnating in 2016.

I agree that there probably aren't many folks who had no plans for a WDW vacation but then will see images of Pandora and suddenly book a trip. That might happen with Star Wars though, as you mentioned.

I'm one of those, I go every couple of years and have intentionally planned a trip to Fall/Winter 2017 for after this opens. We opted to give Disneyland a trip last year.

djkidkaz

I don't think we'll see any difference in the parks at all. I'm fully expecting people to just knock out these two new rides in an hour and leave the park like they normally do. I truly don't see people staying in this park late because of some fancy lighting and effects. Obviously ROL has for the most part been a bust so unless they make some drastic changes to the show I don't think that will keep people either. What I truly found interesting was that the night safari has been so empty when I go in the evenings. This park will still need another land with at least two more attractions to give people enough to stick around for a day.

twebber55

I don't think we'll see any difference in the parks at all. I'm fully expecting people to just knock out these two new rides in an hour and leave the park like they normally do. I truly don't see people staying in this park late because of some fancy lighting and effects. Obviously ROL has for the most part been a bust so unless they make some drastic changes to the show I don't think that will keep people either. What I truly found interesting was that the night safari has been so empty when I go in the evenings. This park will still need another land with at least two more attractions to give people enough to stick around for a day.
i agree with the above post except for what i put in bold

BrianLo

So you've already generously given an hour to Pandora - have you given up a FP+ from another attraction and are spending extra time in line somewhere else? 45 minutes to get seats and watch RoL? It has to actually open first, of course.

It doesn't seem like much, but 90-120 minutes of "must do" for the average guest's length of stay is a significant, significant impact to overall resort operational metrics.

I'm not saying this is turning AK into everyone's ideal full day park. Maybe the Smith's still don't find AK engaging enough to stay from open to close... but perhaps enough of their day is eaten away that they forgo rolling over to Magic Kingdom at night, because they slept in and now have decided to stick around for the night show.

That's going to make every difference in the world...

djkidkaz

So you've already generously given an hour to Pandora - have you given up a FP+ from another attraction and are spending extra time in line somewhere else? 45 minutes to get seats and watch RoL? It has to actually open first, of course.

It doesn't seem like much, but 90-120 minutes of "must do" for the average guest's length of stay is a significant, significant impact to overall resort operational metrics.

I'm not saying this is turning AK into everyone's ideal full day park. Maybe the Smith's still don't find AK engaging enough to stay from open to close... but perhaps enough of their day is eaten away that they forgo rolling over to Magic Kingdom at night, because they slept in and now have decided to stick around for the night show.

That's going to make every difference in the world...

I don't think it's going to make any visible difference to the other parks which is what the other poster was suggesting. You're not going to be in MK come June or July and be like "wow, look how empty it is".

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I don't really agree with this. Yes some people will rush through the land just doing the rides, but I think that land has a good chance of holding people's interest beyond the rides, especially at night. I think of it like Carsland where people come back into the land at dusk to witness the neon-lighting ceremony. Even if each of the evening events at AK is a little lackluster, I think once they are all up and running it will keep people there late.

Lunair

I don't really agree with this. Yes some people will rush through the land just doing the rides, but I think that land has a good chance of holding people's interest beyond the rides, especially at night. I think of it like Carsland where people come back into the land at dusk to witness the neon-lighting ceremony. Even if each of the evening events at AK is a little lackluster, I think once they are all up and running it will keep people there late.

Interesting, I didn't know Carsland had a neon-lighting ceremony. Now I'm imagining a land-wide show taking place in Pandora where streetmosphere natives perform some kind of rite. Then the land "comes to life" with bioluminescence.

Or maybe Bob will just come in and flip a switch, then throw confetti at the nearest family. Guess it depends on the remaining budget.

Atomicmickey

Interesting, I didn't know Carsland had a neon-lighting ceremony. Now I'm imagining a land-wide show taking place in Pandora where streetmosphere natives perform some kind of rite. Then the land "comes to life" with bioluminescence.

Or maybe Bob will just come in and flip a switch, then throw confetti at the nearest family. Guess it depends on the remaining budget.

The ceremony in CarsLand isn't really a "huge deal" . . . it just happens, and the neon lights come on in a prescribed fashion, with music playing. That said--it is stunning to be there when it happens. Honestly, we went to CarsLand at night and just wandered around and hung out, it is such an amazing world to "be in". Truly immersive and magical. I expect this to be like that, and more. There will be people there "just hanging out" and taking in the vibe of the place. I predict a lot of people doing that.

djkidkaz

I think CarsLand is a different option though considering you can walk between DL and DCA so you might be more likely to walk over and see it.

Let me be clear I'm not trying to crap on Pandora as I think it will be amazing and the rides will be great but being someone who lives minutes from WDW and having visited AK on those nights when they started staying open late with all their new offerings the place was a ghost town every time I went. Some can say that jungle book was awful and contributed to that but we're not hearing stellar reviews for ROL either with what's been shown. So the only difference at this point to try and get people to stay late in the park is going to be Pandora at night, and I don't see guests giving up their precious vacation time just to wander around and look at the pretty lights when they could be at another park riding attractions. People will do this at DCA because it's made up of pass holders who don't need to rush to every ride. AK needs more attractions so that you have no choice but to be there all day to get them all in.

flyerjab

My two cents on this subject.

I don't think that Pandora opening will have any impact on MK attendance (nothing statistically significant anyway). That park is too strong, too established with a huge ride lineup and is capable of pulling all WDW fans in regardless of a person's interests in the Disney brand.

That being said, I think that it could have some effect on crowds at DHS, especially since 1/3 of the park will be deep into construction at that time. It could even draw from Epcot insomuch as the flower and garden festival will either be ending or will have ended and there will be no festival to support it.

Where I really don't side with @djkidkas so much is regarding the direct impact on DAK attendance numbers itself. I think that there will be a relevant bump in attendance when this debuts, especially if RoL is up and running. To contrast a fully functioning nighttime lineup with Pandora and RoL against what was debuted last year is not even a fair comparison. This will be a brand new expansion that will be visually stunning during the day, and equally or more impressive at night. This will be a unique experience that will provide visuals and aesthetics on a scale not be found in any other park in WDW (or UNI for that matter). It won't just be two rides - and for me, the people that just rush through this park to do rides just don't get this park at all. But anyway, it will have walk-through areas, cast member interaction that will discuss facts about the animals, bioluminescence and history of the world itself, an eating location, a shop (of course) and a bar. This will then create a traffic pattern past the Nomad Lounge and Tiffins that will help draw more people there. Once that happens, the Nomad Lounge will become a hangout for a lot of people. And I think that RoL, with dining packages, will be a success (and something that they will most likely continue to improve). I just see attendance in this park increasing and staying, not simply peaking and then falling off.

Last edited:

MayorLionheart

I see Pandora taking attendance away from DHS, not MK. With a second A+ thrill ride (assuming the flying ride lives up to expectations), Everest and Soarin 2.0 will rival Tower and RNR, luring in teens and young adults from Studios over to DAK.

HauntedMansionFLA

My two cents on this subject.

I don't think that Pandora opening will have any impact on MK attendance (nothing statistically significant anyway). That park is too strong, too established with a huge ride lineup and is capable of pulling all WDW fans in regardless of a person's interests in the Disney brand.

That being said, I think that it could have some effect on crowds at DHS, especially since 1/3 of the park will deep into construction at that time. It could even draw from Epcot insomuch as the flower and garden will either be ending or will have ended and there will be no festival to support it.

Where I really don't side with @djkidkas so much is regarding the direct impact on DAK attendance numbers itself. I think that there will be a relevant bump in attendance when this debuts, especially if RoL it up and running. To contrast a fully functioning nighttime lineup with Pandora and RoL against what was debuted last year is not even a fair comparison. This will be a brand new expansion that will be visually stunning during the day, and equally or more impressive at night. This will be a unique experience that will provide visuals and aesthetics on a scale not be found in any other park in WDW (or UNI for that matter). It won't just be two rides - and for me, the people that just rush through this park to do rides just don't get this park at all. But anyway, it will have walk-through areas, cast member interaction that will discuss facts about the animals, bioluminescence and history of the world itself, an eating location, a shop (of course) and a bar. This will then create a traffic pattern past the Nomad Lounge and Tiffins that will help draw more people there. Once that happens, the Nomad Lounge will become a hangout for a lot of people. And I think that RoL, with dining packages, will be a success (and something that they will most likely continue to improve). I just see attendance in this park increasing and staying, not simply peaking and then falling off.
DAK already has passed DHS in attendance. This expansion and ROL will put distance between the two parks regarding attendance and give EPCOT a run for its money.

HauntedMansionFLA

I see Pandora taking attendance away from DHS, not MK. With a second A+ thrill ride (assuming the flying ride lives up to expectations), Everest and Soarin 2.0 will rival Tower and RNR, luring in teens and young adults from Studios over to DAK.
Plus the shows are better quality between the two parks. Dinosaur cancels out Star Tours. Pandora will have a dark ride that's a water ride.

jaxonp

Plus the shows are better quality between the two parks. Dinosaur cancels out Star Tours. Pandora will have a dark ride that's a water ride.

AK is already the 3rd most visited out of the 4 without the extended hours. DHS will likely continue to maintain or grow slightly while AK will see big gains. WDW has consistently seen gains with little new to offer guests. AK will be bringing on Pandora with two rides, outdoor entertainment, new restaurant and shopping coupled with ROL opening at some point. AK will see at least 1mil more guests per year because of this. Just being open more hours should give the park this advantage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom