Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Movie Thread

Princess Leia

I will agree that the relationships felt forced at the end. To me it wasn't as good as the Hogwarts years. It set up some interesting things down the road which we'll have to see how those pan out.
While Queenie and Jacob had more chemistry, Tina and Nick are actually canon in the bio section of Nick in the Fantastic Beasts textbook. Unfortunately, it didn't seem like a natural pairing in the movie. Maybe because they rushed it? They literally have 4 other movies to realize their feelings for each other, so idk why this movie was the one to introduce that.

Jahona

Original Poster
Tina and Nick are actually canon in the bio section of Nick in the Fantastic Beasts textbook. Unfortunately, it didn't seem like a natural pairing in the movie. Maybe because they rushed it?

That's pretty much my thought of it felt rushed. They really didn't have to much chemistry through out the movie and then bam at the end. It wasn't enough build up in my mind.

Princess Leia

That's pretty much my thought of it felt rushed. They really didn't have to much chemistry through out the movie and then bam at the end. It wasn't enough build up in my mind.
I think it would have been wiser to create their friendship in this movie, then introduce romantic feelings in FB 2 or 3, a la Ginny & Harry (their book romance, not the movies), or Ron & Hermione. Too late for that now though.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I think it would have been wiser to create their friendship in this movie, then introduce romantic feelings in FB 2 or 3, a la Ginny & Harry (their book romance, not the movies), or Ron & Hermione. Too late for that now though.
At least they didn't have them making out at the end, that would have been worse. I was rolling my eyes at their interaction at the end. It seemed forced. I loved Jacob and Queenie though and they spent less time together. Something was just not working with Newt and Tina.

On a side note our local theater had this display up for pictures in the lobby.

15178116_10154622668746145_6642701567551192429_n.jpg

jensenrick

I will agree that the relationships felt forced at the end. To me it wasn't as good as the Hogwarts years. It set up some interesting things down the road which we'll have to see how those pan out.

I am curious about the "things down the road," because I'd love to be wrong about this movie, and find something good to pull out of it.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I am curious about the "things down the road," because I'd love to be wrong about this movie, and find something good to pull out of it.
Are you a Harry Potter book reader? They hinted at several things that are mentioned in the books but not explained fully as they happened long ago (20s-40s) and were not important to the plot of Harry's story. I wonder if i liked it more as I was seeing all these hints to things that were fan questions/theories from the books.

Jahona

Original Poster

Princess Leia

Although I honestly would prefer the Cursed Child over FB.
Cursed Child was not good. I can't speak for the live version of the play, but reading the script was not a pleasant experience. There were so many characters who acted OOC, and it didn't make sense. I saw the 'twist' coming a mile away, and I was incredibly disappointed in it. I understand that three people wrote it, so it wasn't just Rowling, but the magic was missing. Draco's son Scorpius and Ginny Weasley were the best characters in the story. Everything else was off.

Jahona

Original Poster
Cursed Child was not good. I can't speak for the live version of the play, but reading the script was not a pleasant experience. There were so many characters who acted OOC, and it didn't make sense. I saw the 'twist' coming a mile away, and I was incredibly disappointed in it. I understand that three people wrote it, so it wasn't just Rowling, but the magic was missing. Draco's son Scorpius and Ginny Weasley were the best characters in the story. Everything else was off.

I haven't read the screenplay honestly. The subject matter was more interesting to me. Although one of my coworkers made a similar comment to yours about the characters.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
CC read like Fan Fiction in many parts of the story. I still want to see the play though. Inflection and tone my fix some of the problems on stage. Other plot points I know can not be fixed, they are just dumb to me.

Princess Leia

CC read like Fan Fiction in many parts of the story. I still want to see the play though. Inflection and tone my fix some of the problems on stage. Other plot points I know can not be fixed, they are just dumb to me.
I'd really like to see what Rowling initially sketched out for CC, because she wasn't the only author of it. Also, there is way better Harry Potter fan fiction out there, it just isn't written by Rowling.

Princess Leia

Jacob is the best part.
He really was (though I will make a case for Queenie; she just didn't have a ton to do in the movie).

Filming for the second movie is supposed to start this fall. Maybe, just maybe, we'll find out some more casting news soon... or WB will wait until Comic Con to announce Jared Harris (fingers crossed) as Dumbledore.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
He really was (though I will make a case for Queenie; she just didn't have a ton to do in the movie).

Filming for the second movie is supposed to start this fall. Maybe, just maybe, we'll find out some more casting news soon... or WB will wait until Comic Con to announce Jared Harris (fingers crossed) as Dumbledore.

I'm having issues getting excited for the next film. I just don't have the energy for watching Depp being weird just for the sake of it. I hope his part continues to be small but I really doubt it.

Princess Leia

I'm having issues getting excited for the next film. I just don't have the energy for watching Depp being weird just for the sake of it. I hope his part continues to be small but I really doubt it.
Unfortunately.... Ugh. :grumpy:
"Only UK actors for UK parts", ok so what's Johnny Depp doing playing someone from Europe?

I still wish she just wrote novels of these that were then adapted to the screen. I don't like not knowing what's happening with these stories.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Unfortunately.... Ugh. :grumpy:
"Only UK actors for UK parts", ok so what's Johnny Depp doing playing someone from Europe?

I still wish she just wrote novels of these that were then adapted to the screen. I don't like not knowing what's happening with these stories.
Yeah and Depp doesn't even look appealing. Grindelwald was supposed to be very attractive. Not knowing is hard so we can't say if Depp is a major misstep or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom