AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

DDLand

I wouldn't mind a break from the hub and spokes design in Animal Kingdom. The park has always encouraged exploration beyond the most obvious path, and nothing they could do will ever make it as bad as DHS. Not to mention that the Africa expansion kind of broke it already (and the Africa expansion is a very good thing).
That very exploration is exactly why Disney's Animal Kingdom needs a logical layout. The whole park would become incredibly frustrating to navigate without the inner and outer loops. It provides a sense of order and calm to what easily could become very stressful park. By launching into the adventure from intuitive areas, it makes travel into and out of the areas more comfortable.

In addition, crowd control and handling is far superior with the logical rings. The pathways allow for crowds to cut through park with speed and efficiency at the end of the day.

No zigzagging, just logical progression. This allows the park to be both efficient and have areas that are truly intimate. You can have your cake and eat it too.

I'd also disagree with your assessment on Africa, as that will only further reinforce the hub. New entrances into the former Camp Minnie Mickey from the North made possible by Africa will complete the circuit. My understanding of the plan is it will have never been a more effective use of the hub and spokes design.

Jones14

That very exploration is exactly why Disney's Animal Kingdom needs a logical layout. The whole park would become incredibly frustrating to navigate without the inner and outer loops. It provides a sense of order and calm to what easily could become very stressful park. By launching into the adventure from intuitive areas, it makes travel into and out of the areas more comfortable.

In addition, crowd control and handling is far superior with the logical rings. The pathways allow for crowds to cut through park with speed and efficiency at the end of the day.

No zigzagging, just logical progression. This allows the park to be both efficient and have areas that are truly intimate. You can have your cake and eat it too.

I'd also disagree with your assessment on Africa, as that will only further reinforce the hub. New entrances into the former Camp Minnie Mickey from the North made possible by Africa will complete the circuit. My understanding of the plan is it will have never been a more effective use of the hub and spokes design.
I was referring to the expansion that gave us the new dining areas. I've been going to the parks my whole life, and even I get turned around in that area every so often.

P_Radden

Long term aspiration is to remove the train.
That train is a fun idea in concept, but (although I never checked it out) I always got the vibe that Conservation Station was a dud of an attraction. I even recall reading on here that they make you walk through the attraction just to be able to get to the path to get back on the train lol.

I still believe if it was true that there was a concept to connect AKL to AK via train, that would have been the better choice.

doctornick

Would that go along with adding in a new/different form of in park transportation? Or just replacing with all walking paths.

One thing that is disappointing about Disney nowadays is that they don't seem as eager to put in park transport as much any more. Yes, they added the trolley to DCA but that seems to be an exception. Would love to see DAK get a larger more valuable transport than the current train and/or bring something back to the Discovery River.

Also, DHS could really use its version of the Red Car Trolley

P_Radden

Would that go along with adding in a new/different form of in park transportation? Or just replacing with all walking paths.

One thing that is disappointing about Disney nowadays is that they don't seem as eager to put in park transport as much any more. Yes, they added the trolley to DCA but that seems to be an exception. Would love to see DAK get a larger more valuable transport than the current train and/or bring something back to the Discovery River.

Also, DHS could really use its version of the Red Car Trolley
I would love to see anything come back to Discovery River. Maybe even a hosted canoe tour or something like that.

doctornick

I would love to see anything come back to Discovery River. Maybe even a hosted canoe tour or something like that.

I honestly just think a straight up transport like the Epcot Friendship Boats would be welcome, especially if they are covered to limit the sun. It doesn't have to be a "ride" per se but they could have some announcements (recorded or live) regarding the lands/attractions as you pass them. Either something that goes from Africa to Dinoland and vice versa or goes from Asia to Pandora and vice versa.

My personal thought is this:
First dock in Africa, near the FOTLK theater. It travels counter-clockwise from there, gives a spiel about Pandora, then talks about Discovery Island (talking about the Tree of Life & ITTBAB and maybe Tiffins or Awakenings or whatever else they want to highlight), then talks about Dinoland USA.
Second dock is in Dinoland, near the bridge between the land and Discovery Island, around the Boneyard.
As it travel counter-clockwise from there, it talks about RoL, then Asia, then Africa (and maybe the train and Rafiki's) before stopping back at the other dock.

jt04

Not to contradict you but it was hinted at by an insider that it could get connected to a resort on the east side and possibly allow for a way for resort guests to access the park. Perhaps that is no longer viable due to security which would be a shame. Screenings could take place before boarding though.

I realize such a resort would be way down the tracks.

HauntedMansionFLA

Not to contradict you but it was hinted at by an insider that it could get connected to a resort on the east side and possibly allow for a way for resort guests to access the park. Perhaps that is no longer viable due to security which would be a shame. Screenings could take place before boarding though.

I realize such a resort would be way down the tracks.
We have stayed at AKL several times and love it. The only downfall is that the only transportation to the parks is via by bus. Its not horrible but compared to other deluxe resorts which have several other transportation option would be the only minus for the resort. But the bus service has been good when we stayed there

jt04

We have stayed at AKL several times and love it. The only downfall is that the only transportation to the parks is via by bus. Its not horrible but compared to other deluxe resorts which have several other transportation option would be the only minus for the resort. But the bus service has been good when we stayed there

It'd be great if you could go from AKL to DAK with an internal system themed to the area. Combined with the new park to park busses for park hoping would make for a much richer experience. Definitely worth the price.

Sped2424

On my last trip to Disney, we met a cast member in AK that brought up "Pandoraland" and he told us that guests' footprints would light up blue as they walked through.
Yeah it's going to be one of the major features there. Based off the tech videos they have released of that it's sure to impress! Though I believe I read on here (can't remember who posted it) that only certain area's shall have this feature and not the whole land!

Cesar R M

Not to mention that its one of the FARTHEST hotels to MK.
So yeah, slooow.

matt9112

On a realistic note I have to ask is this going to draw the crowds desperately away from MK or just make two days of your vacation crowd central?

gorillaball

On a realistic note I have to ask is this going to draw the crowds desperately away from MK or just make two days of your vacation crowd central?

My personal opinion, I think it will draw good crowds. I don't think you will see a "noticeable" difference at Magic Kingdom though, I think that would take a pretty big change, Magic Kingdom is just a separate beast all together. When an entire new park opened within 100 yards of Disneyland, Disneyland's attendance only dipped 11%. I don't consider 1 out of every 10 people missing that noticeable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom