Convince me to run!

21stamps

Original Poster
I'm semi joking about the title.

I'd love to hear from a variety of people at a variety of skill levels/vacation priorities.

When you do a half at WDW do you go for a quick few days and head home?
What's your itinerary like for those few days?

@LAKid53 Has me seriously considering the W&D half, but I would have 3 Nights Maximum for the trip.

Is that "Worth It"? (Subjective, I know)
Just looking to hear stories and experiences on the subject.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You are going to get inundated with responses.

Yes, it's worth it. You will be among people who run...and love Disney. You get to wear your medal (s) in the parks after your race CMs and guests will congratulate you.

The medals are cool. Photopass photographers are along the race routes to take your photo...and not just at the character stops.

It's a special vibe those weekends. People dress up in costume. You can buy Minnie themed running shoes. I just bought a purple sparkle skirt to wear for the Princess, which matches my purple tiara from previous races.

If you have friends running with you, it's even better!

Don't worry about a 3 day trip. I did that for the SW Dark Side 10 k.... Just fly on Friday AM (or late Thursday PM), so you can pick up your packet on Friday. After that rest, get up early Saturday to run. Then go back for a nap, go to the parks and then party at WS. What's not to love?

And you don't have to worry about babysitting for your son...

21stamps

Original Poster
I'm all for a meet-up...but I will not par take in any type of exercise! I can cheer you on or Brook and I can entertain lil T...but running is a no lol
See, @21stamps, there's your babysitter...
Ha ha to both of you. I wouldn't be bringing him.. shhhh! Don't tell!

I want to make sure I have time to drink,it's F&W time!!!.. and I'd love to go to Trader Sam's AFTER 8pm!!!lol

LAKid53

Premium Member
You can start drinking at noon race day, if you so choose...but I'd hydrate with some water first.

Never been to Trader Sam's.

21stamps

Original Poster
You can start drinking at noon race day, if you so choose...but I'd hydrate with some water first.

Never been to Trader Sam's.

Definitely! That probably sounded worse than what it is. I'm a "put me in a cab after 2.5 drinks" type of gal.lol. I used to love F&W time..and I'd like to experience that again without having to take 50 potty breaks or stop in a store to look at a "must have!!" souvenir that will never get touched again after the trip.

WDW was so different on my adult trips. I love both ways though :)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Definitely! That probably sounded worse than what it is. I'm a "put me in a cab after 2.5 drinks" type of gal.lol. I used to love F&W time..and I'd like to experience that again without having to take 50 potty breaks or stop in a store to look at a "must have!!" souvenir that will never get touched again after the trip.

WDW was so different on my adult trips. I love both ways though :)

Yeah, two drinks or beers are usually my limit...

My son in law and I ran in the inaugural SW Dark Side 10k last year. We decided to celebrate with fish and chips... and some beer... at Rose 'N Crown. Made new friends because all the runners sitting at the bar with their medals started conversations like, "what was your time?", "Did you get a photo with Vader?", "Did you see the Storm Trooper fairies?"

21stamps

Original Poster
Yeah, two drinks or beers are usually my limit...

My son in law and I ran in the inaugural SW Dark Side 10k last year. We decided to celebrate with fish and chips... and some beer... at Rose 'N Crown. Made new friends because all the runners sitting at the bar with their medals started conversations like, "what was your time?", "Did you get a photo with Vader?", "Did you see the Storm Trooper fairies?"

This is what I love about after parties. It's just a time where everyone is on an adrenaline a high and sharing a common sense of accomplishment!

How long do I have to decide? do they sell out by a certain point?
When is this wretched event??

One of my close friends is doing the Princess half. She is not a runner, started training specifically for the race. I am NOT a serious runner. I will never be out running on slush filled streets at 5am on a daily basis year in and year out.lol.

I think a WDW half marathon would be a fun item to check..especially in late 2017 after I reach a dreaded milestone birthday.

Disneyhead'71

You can always buy new knees but how often do you get the opportunity to buy special 2017 Disney New Balance Sneeks? Totally worth the knee replacement surgery.

Oh and the medal, I didn't even mention the medal. It has.....wait for it....Mickey on it. "SQUEEEEL!!!!!!!!"

LAKid53

Premium Member
This is what I love about after parties. It's just a time where everyone is on an adrenaline a high and sharing a common sense of accomplishment!

How long do I have to decide? do they sell out by a certain point?

One of my close friends is doing the Princess half. She is not a runner, started training specifically for the race. I am NOT a serious runner. I will never be out running on slush filled streets at 5am on a daily basis year in and year out.lol.

I think a WDW half marathon would be a fun item to check..especially in late 2017 after I reach a dreaded milestone birthday.

Registration opened yesterday. All races are still open. But I wouldn't wait more than a couple of weeks. With registration being moved up to right after the Full weekend... and Christmas.... people haven't being think about a race in November.

But make sure you want to run... no refunds - even if you broke your leg two days before the race....

LAKid53

Premium Member
And for those of you who like shiny things, here's last year's medals....

wineanddine.jpg
wineanddine2.jpg

Top picture, in order - 10k, Challenge, and Half.

Bottom picture- Kids races, 5k, 10k, Half and Challenge.

LAKid53

Premium Member
And medals for this year's Princess and Star Wars Dark Side...

princess medals.jpg
darkmside medals.jpg

The far right medal for the SW Dark Side is the medal for the Kessel Run - run both the SW Light Side at DLR and SW Dark Side at WDW half marathons in the same calendar year....

lukacseven

I typically go for the January Marathon Weekend with a group of 4-8 people, both runners and non-runners. There's usually a mix of people doing the half, full or Goofy. We typically try to get an early flight into MCO on Friday morning and a late flight out Tuesday evening (not keen on flying the day after running 39.3 miles or more). Friday, we do the Expo, check-in and dinner at one of the resorts or Disney Springs. Saturday, we'll do a park, considering we're done running the half and back at the resort before the parks even open. Sunday, we usually relax after the race (by the pool if weather permits) and try to go to a park later in the afternoon - either Epcot for dinner or if there EMH (one year MK was open til midnight). Monday we have a full day to do a park and if all goes well we try to go to a park Tuesday before our departure pick-up. I've done Dopey once and honestly don't think I'll ever do it again. It has nothing to do with the running aspect of the challenge. It was a bit much waking up at 3:00-4:00 every morning for 5 straight days (including travel day). But...I think if you are only running the half and train well it's 100% worth it. You can get all the fun of a short Disney vacation plus the race experience.

21stamps

Original Poster
And medals for this year's Princess and Star Wars Dark Side...

View attachment 184972 View attachment 184973

The far right medal for the SW Dark Side is the medal for the Kessel Run - run both the SW Light Side at DLR and SW Dark Side at WDW half marathons in the same calendar year....
The Star Wars one would be awesome!
I typically go for the January Marathon Weekend with a group of 4-8 people, both runners and non-runners. There's usually a mix of people doing the half, full or Goofy. We typically try to get an early flight into MCO on Friday morning and a late flight out Tuesday evening (not keen on flying the day after running 39.3 miles or more). Friday, we do the Expo, check-in and dinner at one of the resorts or Disney Springs. Saturday, we'll do a park, considering we're done running the half and back at the resort before the parks even open. Sunday, we usually relax after the race (by the pool if weather permits) and try to go to a park later in the afternoon - either Epcot for dinner or if there EMH (one year MK was open til midnight). Monday we have a full day to do a park and if all goes well we try to go to a park Tuesday before our departure pick-up. I've done Dopey once and honestly don't think I'll ever do it again. It has nothing to do with the running aspect of the challenge. It was a bit much waking up at 3:00-4:00 every morning for 5 straight days (including travel day). But...I think if you are only running the half and train well it's 100% worth it. You can get all the fun of a short Disney vacation plus the race experience.
I never heard of the Dopey or Goofy challenge until recently... I can say with certainty that I will never participate in either one.lol

Kudos to you! That's an admirable weekend!!

I've never had multiple vacations booked as far in advance as I do this year..and last month. They're all spaced out kind of perfectly, but 3 Nights would definitely be my maximum time for a Fall Disney trip. I'm waiting on a few responses from my friends.. no one likes planning/committing to trips this early. Not in my crowd anyway. Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom