Zootopia Coming March 2016

brb1006

And yet Disney still has very little in the parks for it.
Once upon a time, new movies had shows and parades at DHS. Hunchback had a great show, and I remember the Aladdin & Hercules parades (unfortunately drawing a blank on the Mulan parade). Disney was in no way ready to promote Frozen, which led to the insane lines for the M&G. At least you can meet Moana; Nick & Judy are only found in parades, right?
If Zootopia came out in the mid 90's it would have had it's own parade similar to the Aladdin or Toy Story Parade.

Also yes Judy and Nick can currently be found during the Creepa Crew before the Halloween Parade and the Move It Shake It Celebrate which I wouldn't call a "Parade". They were meetable during the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
I think Zootopia's message was more meaningful to the times we are currently living in. It's not often you have an animated film dealing with things like stereotyping, racism etc. Moana is more traditional. For me it was a toss up, I probably would have went Moana but I'm not upset with the way things went.

Cesar R M

I think Zootopia's message was more meaningful to the times we are currently living in. It's not often you have an animated film dealing with things like stereotyping, racism etc. Moana is more traditional. For me it was a toss up, I probably would have went Moana but I'm not upset with the way things went.
Agree. Moana is the traditional princess movie on a quest. As other said, it looks like a Little mermaid but in reverse.

Zootopia resonated more than ever thanks to the current political and social issues of the world.

Yert3

Agree. Moana is the traditional princess movie on a quest. As other said, it looks like a Little mermaid but in reverse.

Zootopia resonated more than ever thanks to the current political and social issues of the world.
Exactly. I'm shocked how many people are saying Moana was better. It had great music for sure, but it was pretty formulaic. Zootopia blew me away! I was in awe leaving the theatre. I liked it so much I went to see it five times. I even saw a few people on Twitter who went to go see it every day in one month. I don't see people doing that for a lot of other movies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Exactly. I'm shocked how many people are saying Moana was better. It had great music for sure, but it was pretty formulaic. Zootopia blew me away! I was in awe leaving the theatre. I liked it so much I went to see it five times. I even saw a few people on Twitter who went to go see it every day in one month. I don't see people doing that for a lot of other movies.

Why is it shocking that someone prefers a good animated musical over good animated non-musical?

Yert3

Why is it shocking that someone prefers a good animated musical over good animated non-musical?
It's shocking because when Zootopia came out it was praised so highly because it was so different. Moana was kind of "back to normal" in a way, and people are freaking out on tumblr and Facebook saying zootopia sucked and Moana was way better. I feel like it should have been no surprise that zootopia would win is what I'm saying.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It's shocking because when Zootopia came out it was praised so highly because it was so different. Moana was kind of "back to normal" in a way, and people are freaking out on tumblr and Facebook saying zootopia sucked and Moana was way better. I feel like it should have been no surprise that zootopia would win is what I'm saying.

Both have been praised highly but for different reasons...it wasn't a surprise that Zootopia won. And it wouldn't have been a surprise if Moana won either...at least to me. I don't think you are giving Moana enough credit and are overselling Zootopia just a tad.

I could still see Moana winning the Oscar as the award shows don't always match up.

Yert3

IMG_0977.PNG
IMG_0978.PNG
IMG_0979.PNG
it wasn't a surprise that Zootopia won.
You're right. It wasn't. But a lot of people seem to think so

Matt_Black

Zootopia hands down. Aside from the brilliant and relevant script, it was just a fascinating look at world building, taking a concept and then saying, "Okay, but how does that work in practical terms? What does that MEAN?" and then running with it. Moana, by comparison, was bog standard Hero's Journey type stuff. Very well done Hero's Journey type stuff, but something we've seen many times before.

brb1006

Zootopia hands down. Aside from the brilliant and relevant script, it was just a fascinating look at world building, taking a concept and then saying, "Okay, but how does that work in practical terms? What does that MEAN?" and then running with it. Moana, by comparison, was bog standard Hero's Journey type stuff. Very well done Hero's Journey type stuff, but something we've seen many times before.
It's one of those films that really sucks you into the environment (especially if you saw the film in theater) forgetting that your in a movie theater because of how lovely and creative most of the setting is. Especially the city of Zootopia.

Sped2424

Agree a thousand times over ^ Moana was a lot of the same but BRILLIANTLy a lot of the same. Zootopia pushed boundaries and limits while making the story accessible to adults and kids. Moana just didn't push any of the same envelopes Zootopia deserved that oscar as for the gen pop the oscars are very much a popularity contest for them a lot of the time so it's no surprise the princess film is the one audiences hold more dear in terms of who should win.

CJR

Both Zootopia and Moana were great films. Zootopia just delivered on an original level that Moana couldn't compete with. Moana was still a great movie and shows just how high that bar is. Disney animation's come a long way in the last ten years.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I'm so glad won. I may be biased because I saw it in theaters 3 times and didn't see any of the other nominees... BUT. I love Zootopia nonetheless

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom